Kidney food- low phos- HELP.

william1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can anyone recommend a good wet food I can feed my cat. Hes had some higher then normal results the last few months from the vet. I am researching myself to death and its so frustrating.

Natures Logic- He wont eat, I heard great reviews, but its so packed and dry he cant stand it. I have cans sitting here untouched.
Blue Buffalo - I hear is a pate that is very tough and solid (like natures logic) and not much gravy like at all I know he wont eat it.
Hills presp. Diet- Veg and Tuna- I feed him that and he does decent with it but I need to add something else.
Royal Canin- Which comes with good reviews for kidney, i was surprised to learn it has by product, theres a bunch of stuff on the internet how they are defending this and why its not as bad. Ive never fed by product and I have a hard time with this.
Purina Pro Plan- Which my vet gave me some when I first knew about his issues also has by product, not sure why a vet would be pushing a product like that.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or feed back. My cat is 16, i rescued him when he was a baby and hes healthy in everything else but this scares me. I am giving him a probiotic and fish oil but I want to do better with his food thanks.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat is in the early stages of CKD and I feed Royal Canin prescription food. I fed the Hill's for about three weeks recently because of supply issues due to the pandemic. I know a lot of people look at the ingredients on prescription food and have a negative view of them. My cat came up on blood work as early stage CKD a little over two years ago and I started feeding the prescription food. She had blood work done again in February, as she does twice a year, and her numbers are still the same. It is on the pricy side but I continue to give her the Royal Canin.

Blood work was done about a month after she started on the prescription food and there was a big improvement in her numbers, not completely back to normal but they looked much better. Those numbers are her baseline and have held steady for over two years.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

william1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is in the early stages of CKD and I feed Royal Canin prescription food. I fed the Hill's for about three weeks recently because of supply issues due to the pandemic. I know a lot of people look at the ingredients on prescription food and have a negative view of them. My cat came up on blood work as early stage CKD a little over two years ago and I started feeding the prescription food. She had blood work done again in February, as she does twice a year, and her numbers are still the same. It is on the pricy side but I continue to give her the Royal Canin.

Blood work was done about a month after she started on the prescription food and there was a big improvement in her numbers, not completely back to normal but they looked much better. Those numbers are her baseline and have held steady for over two years.
I am happy to hear that about your cat. I am going to try the royal canin then. Ive heard good things, like I said, I was just skeptical of the by product. thank you for your input.