Kidney Failure

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Emmitt has been diagnosed with stage 2 Kidney failure. I am heat broken. . My vet put him on a K/D food to see if that helps before administering fluids. Any advise would be great. This is a new issue for me .

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello!
I'm glad you're here!
Take a look at Tanya's kidney cat website, it will help you, and I'm sending all my thoughts and prayers!!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I’m glad I found you!

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here’s the website Furballsmom Furballsmom is referring to: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat. I found it really helpful when my kitty had CKD.

If you end up having to give fluids, don’t worry. It seems really daunting at first, but it’s not hard to do. And it really helps them feel better.
Here’s the website Furballsmom Furballsmom is referring to: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat. I found it really helpful when my kitty had CKD.

If you end up having to give fluids, don’t worry. It seems really daunting at first, but it’s not hard to do. And it really helps them feel better.
Thank you

Thanks! I have given him fluids before. When he had pancreatitis and his liver was failing we got him through that. How often and how long did you have to give your kitty fluids?

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also he has started urinating on my couch . How can I get him to stop?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you're both going through this, but I feel your bond is strong and you'll be able to keep him comfortable and each other happy.

He's urinating on the coach because he's a little uncomfortable, or because he didn't have enough warning to get to the litter box, or both.

I suggest you put a litter box in each of the rooms he favors, or at least close to the door between two rooms. You might get a shower curtain to cover the sofa and another to go over your bed. Actually, get one to go over the mattress under the sheets and another to go on top of the duvet. If you don't like the smell of new shower curtain, and who does? get tarps from the hardware store. They make more noise when kitty walks on them but don't have that smell.

You can get the shower curtains and put them on the line or over the fence for a few days to get rid of the smell. Use the tarps until the curtains don't smell.

Use an enzyme cleaner on you sofa. We used to pour white vinegar on the spots. Others will suggest particular brands of cleaners.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
How often and how long did you have to give your kitty fluids?
I think I started giving Max fluids when he was about 14. He was also diagnosed with diabetes around that time. Until the last year, I was giving him fluids every week or two. That last year, I was giving him fluids every other day. He died in 2018 at age 20.

As K Kflowers says, your guy might be having litter box issues because he’s uncomfortable. They avoid the box because they associate it with discomfort. If you can get his disease more regulated, the peeing outside the box might stop.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy has been at stage 2 for over 3 years and it stabilized, it has not progressed since its diagnosis. The one big factor is hydration. I have removed dry food from his diet and have focused on commercial raw and high quality canned. My vet is a firm believe in feeding him a high quality protein and doesn't think that low protein food like K/D is effective. The key is high quality protein. Make sure you have a water bowl in every room and use filtered water, some municipal water has so much chlorine in it. Make sure you have him tested frequently to see how is doing. I wish you and your kitty the best of luck

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you're both going through this, but I feel your bond is strong and you'll be able to keep him comfortable and each other happy.

He's urinating on the coach because he's a little uncomfortable, or because he didn't have enough warning to get to the litter box, or both.

I suggest you put a litter box in each of the rooms he favors, or at least close to the door between two rooms. You might get a shower curtain to cover the sofa and another to go over your bed. Actually, get one to go over the mattress under the sheets and another to go on top of the duvet. If you don't like the smell of new shower curtain, and who does? get tarps from the hardware store. They make more noise when kitty walks on them but don't have that smell.

You can get the shower curtains and put them on the line or over the fence for a few days to get rid of the smell. Use the tarps until the curtains don't smell.

Use an enzyme cleaner on you sofa. We used to pour white vinegar on the spots. Others will suggest particular brands of cleaners.
Thank You this good advise!!

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I started giving Max fluids when he was about 14. He was also diagnosed with diabetes around that time. Until the last year, I was giving him fluids every week or two. That last year, I was giving him fluids every other day. He died in 2018 at age 20.

As K Kflowers says, your guy might be having litter box issues because he’s uncomfortable. They avoid the box because they associate it with discomfort. If you can get his disease more regulated, the peeing outside the box might stop.
Thanks. We are working on it. I will try the suggestions

HelenRB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t have much advice, just sending some solidarity your way as I’m in the same place, about a month in now since my 13(ish) year old’s diagnosis.

I’m still working on getting Lincoln on track, but he’s doing better than he was at first and so am I.... although it’s overwhelming, I am starting to adjust and feel less anxious.

Mine won’t eat the k/d so I’m giving fluids 3x/week, an appetite stimulant, Pepcid when he’ll take it, and just feeding whatever he will eat.

Sending good thoughts your way.

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy has been at stage 2 for over 3 years and it stabilized, it has not progressed since its diagnosis. The one big factor is hydration. I have removed dry food from his diet and have focused on commercial raw and high quality canned. My vet is a firm believe in feeding him a high quality protein and doesn't think that low protein food like K/D is effective. The key is high quality protein. Make sure you have a water bowl in every room and use filtered water, some municipal water has so much chlorine in it. Make sure you have him tested frequently to see how is doing. I wish you and your kitty the best of luck
Thank You. We do have a drink well fountain. I have been use filtered water for their water bowls every since he had pancreatitis and liver failure. Thanks for the food advice. What brand name food do you use?

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding him Stella and Chewy's Raw food and Rawz canned food. He loves the Rawz rabbit. I am fighting pancreatitis too with him, what a awful sickness. He has had a bad flair up lately.

Does he drink a lot? I found my boy likes to have his water and food separated

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t have much advice, just sending some solidarity your way as I’m in the same place, about a month in now since my 13(ish) year old’s diagnosis.

I’m still working on getting Lincoln on track, but he’s doing better than he was at first and so am I.... although it’s overwhelming, I am starting to adjust and feel less anxious.

Mine won’t eat the k/d so I’m giving fluids 3x/week, an appetite stimulant, Pepcid when he’ll take it, and just feeding whatever he will eat.

Sending good thoughts your way.
Thanks. Prayers for your baby. Emmitt will eat the KD thank goodness and he does drink lots of water. But I can tell he doesn’t feel well.
Thank You this good advise!!
kflowers we do have a strong bond. We have been thriugh a lot. Emmitt can to us after a neighnir put him and his bothet out of the house then moved. He came to us a week before our Bubby died of liver cancer. He is such a good kitty. This a a pic of my baby before he became sick.
I have been feeding him Stella and Chewy's Raw food and Rawz canned food. He loves the Rawz rabbit. I am fighting pancreatitis too with him, what a awful sickness. He has had a bad flair up lately.

Ok thanks! yes he drinks a lot. Yes pancreatitis is awful! My boy was so sick. I was feeling like it might be the end. But we pulled thru it. We even had to syringe feed him 3-4 times a day.

Attachments

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He does drink a lot. My cats like their water separate also. Yes pancreatitis is awful. Emmitt was VERY SICK. I thought it was the end for us we were not only giving him fluids but also syringe feeding him. Thank God we made it through.