Kidney Failure

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just came onto this post because my cat has stage 4 kidney disease, and thought I could offer up some help.
I understand her acute kidney failure is due to infection, how is she today?

I am waiting for her kidneys to respond positively to the IV Fluid Treatment. I am on a two day plan for her treatment. After that, I'm not sure what will happen. I feel very lost.
Maybe I missed something, but is she also on an antibiotic for the infection?? I assume she is staying at the vet for the IV Fluids? If she responds to the fluids, please know that you can continue to give her fluids at home, to keep flushing her kidneys. They are administered subcutaneously (under the skin), it's a little scary at first (nobody likes needles) but most cats are fine with them. I've been giving my cat sub-Q fluids for over a year now for his CKD.
I hope your kitty doing well, keep us updated. I'm thinking of both of you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassidymills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just came onto this post because my cat has stage 4 kidney disease, and thought I could offer up some help.
I understand her acute kidney failure is due to infection, how is she today?

Maybe I missed something, but is she also on an antibiotic for the infection?? I assume she is staying at the vet for the IV Fluids? If she responds to the fluids, please know that you can continue to give her fluids at home, to keep flushing her kidneys. They are administered subcutaneously (under the skin), it's a little scary at first (nobody likes needles) but most cats are fine with them. I've been giving my cat sub-Q fluids for over a year now for his CKD.
I hope your kitty doing well, keep us updated. I'm thinking of both of you!
Thank you for your response. Yes, she is receiving antibiotics and I’m just waiting to hear from the vet. I’m wondering if I should take her home after 2 days of IV or if I should continue her on the vets treatment ?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, as I mentioned, the subQ fluids may be an option for you, you administer the fluids by inserting the needle under the skin. It will form a "pouch" but will eventually be absorbed then processed by the kidneys, helping to keep them flushed. I don't know if this is a possibility, but your vet would know, and will show you how to do it. If your vet thinks that she responded well, and is eating and drinking, using the litter box, home care may be best, to keep her stress levels lower, which will help her heal even faster. If she's still not eating or drinking and is very lethargic, maybe another day or so at the vet would be warranted. I can't really say for sure, sorry.
Is the vet supposed to call you? Sometimes, messages can get crossed, and the vet may be waiting for you to call them for an update. You can ask at that time what the vet suggests for either home care or a longer stay.
Hope you hear back some good news!!!:yess:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassidymills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sweet girl passed away this morning. Thank you for all of your support.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss.:alright: Rest in peace little one.

brittpatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so, so, so sorry to hear this. You did everything you could have done.