Kidney Disesase, Euthanasia

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 14 year old baby has early stages kidney disease. I give him appetite stimulants every few days when he seems disinterested and I gave him fluids. After shoving pills down his throat and poking him he eats and goes behind a couch and stays there all day till it is time to eat. The weather is beautiful, the windows are open, but he has no interest. In the morning he still he sits on my lap a while and I comb his head and he purrs. It breaks my heart to see him like this and I am torn as to how long should we continue this way. Other than the 10 minutes in the morning, I see no joy in his life. It is hitting me hard that it might be time. The vet wants to do blood work again in a few weeks. What should I do? Should we try to eek out a few more weeks, or let him go? It make me so sad.
P8010112.JPG

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

MavAndMax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Compared to my suffering kidney diseased kitty he looks like he's still happy and bright He's 14 years old.
My OPINION:
I think if he seems like he's in pain then by all means help him cross that rainbow bridge. But if he's just different and he's still lovey and happy with fresh eyes then I'd wait until he told me he was suffering.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Gail. What is your furbaby's name?

Because he is still in the early stages, you should think about treating the disease instead of ending it. If you say goodbye now, you will regret the timing forever. It is possible to lose him in a few months or a few years - nobody knows. But people can tell you this: HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL. As long as the disease is controlled, he can live with it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please hang on and let the vet do blood work again. I don't know what you were told that the blood work might help to answer; but for me, I would want to hang on until I was told it was too painful or stupid to do so.

My Feeby (14+) has a history of bladder/urinary issues - up to an including surgery several years back on her bladder. I also suspect she has arthritis now, so over time her demeanor has changed - hides more, less active, etc. But, in the big scheme of things, she is dealing with what we humans deal with as we age. As long as there is a level of quality - albeit maybe not what it once was - hanging on to Feeby - for as long as it is OK for her - is what I plan on doing.

My last cat - Gracie - was diagnosed with lung cancer. I suppose I let it go too long, but it was only the last day or so before she died in my home, that I think she truly might have suffered. Actually, a couple of days before that - for the first time ever - she escaped my house to 'sow her final oats', roamed the immediate neighborhood area, and came back to me when I realized what she did, and called out to her. I will hold that in my heart as justification for not having let her go earlier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That picture is a few years old. His coat is not as nice now, and he is skinny. He still has that beautiful face. I read the link someone put above and he is often in the "meatloaf" position. I seldom see him sleeping comfortably. I don't want to prolong discomfort but the alternative is not very inviting either.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought about the poem "The Last Battle" and let my last cat tell me when it was time to go - which she did by looking for a hiding spot to die in.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had never heard of the meatball position; I had to look it up (here and via internet search). Feeby does that off and on. Maybe it has had to do with how she's feeling, I am not totally sure. More recently, it has struck me when she has done it; but, tbh, it's probably because I pay more attention to her now that she is older. I am sure I watch her more closely than when she was younger.

I am not downplaying it, but is it possible you are watching Pallina more closely and have therefore seen this posture more frequently - even if it may have gone on years ago?

What does your vet say about whether or not she is suffering? That is a big key.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. I'm so sorry you and your baby are going through this.
I lost a girl to kidney failure years ago. I didn't realize she was sick at all. Her fur looked a little weird and she had lost some weight but she was still eating and drinking and doing things normally. She was always a barfy cat but the vomiting started getting more frequent until one night she couldn't stop throwing up and I took her to the ER. They gave her fluids and pepcid and told me take her to our vet. When I took her in to our vet the next day, it was really pretty late in the game to do anything but giving her sub Q fluids, which I did at home. She tolerated it well but when her quality of life got worse, I decided it was time to say bye. By then I was giving her fluids daily. I only had her four years, too. I thought our lives together were just getting into the swing of things.
Your baby is gorgeous. I can imagine what he looks like now because I've seen it already.
Only you can decide because YOU are there. Not us. You are the one who sees the pain, the hurt, you have to be the one to give the care and pills and see your kitty hide. No one could fault you for not loving your cat, that's for sure. Obviously you do. I don't believe in hanging onto something until it is ridiculous and to the point of cruelty. Maybe your vet can give alternative forms of medications, like something to put into the food or rub into the ears. Talk it over once more with your vet. Your cat may even bounce back for a while and you don't want to rob him of that. You don't want to have regrets, either.
We are all here for you.

maincoonmama

Geriatric/S.N Rescuer
Kitten
Purraise
It is a painful decision to make, so carefully weigh your options. Does he have a good quality of life? if yes do what you can to make it so for as long as possible, if maybe, see what can be done to improve it. if no, call your vet and have an at-home euthanasia if possible. there are many resources along with your vets' assessments, to help you decide if your pet is having a good quality of life or not. there are also a lot of resources for grief if you have to make that unthinkable decision.as guardians, it is our job to make the best decisions for them, even if it is painful for us. I have had to make this heartbreaking call too many times to count as one who rescues geriatric, special needs, and end of life care rescuer. I have rescued cats that I have had happy healthy years with, and I have rescued cats that I only had days or months with. there are cats that I rescued who died within hours or days of being adopted, it was like they were just waiting for a home before they went. there cats that i rescued knowing that they needed to be euthanized in the coming days or weeks for thier quality of life. There are days and weeks without sleep, caring for your family members dreading that if you take a nap, or going out to purchase an essential item they will have crossed the bridge when you come back or wake up This is the most brutal part of being a pet parent, and it never ever gets easy.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Maine, you are an angel for rescuing those cats. Few people would want to save a life that they knew was ending anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too have had to put down other cats, it never gets any easier. Spike has been with me for 14years, and I want to do the right thing for him. I do not want to watch him waste away, he took a nap on the bed with me this afternoon, it made me so happy.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I too have had to put down other cats, it never gets any easier. Spike has been with me for 14years, and I want to do the right thing for him. I do not want to watch him waste away, he took a nap on the bed with me this afternoon, it made me so happy.
No, it doesn't get any easier, does it. I'm sorry you and Spike are going through this. :hugs: I've been down that road, too, and I always say there's no one way to know--each one of mine gave me a sign in their own way.

You know your sweet boy best. I really believe you'll both know when it's time.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
When I lost a cat in 2011, I asked the vet minutes before the shot, "Do you think he knows?" She said he probably knew before I did.