Kidney Disease

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat was just diagnosed with kidney disease on friday of last week. they put him on special food. his name is batista and he is 12 years old. he has to go back for blood work in a month.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cat was just diagnosed with kidney disease on friday of last week. they put him on special food. his name is batista and he is 12 years old. he has to go back for blood work in a month.
Hi Kathy, how did the vet diagnosed Batista? Did he run some blood and urine tests? How are his crea and BUN?
In addition to a special diet, many vets advise owners to give cats some fluids and/or medicines for CKD.
My sweet Lola suffered from CKD fro over 10 years. She was diagnosed at a very early stage and we were able to manage her condition for her whole life to the extent that 10 years later her crea and BUN were just borderline with the ranges.
The sooner you take actions the better you can manage it over a long time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i will have to get a copy of the blood work results. don't remember

catsmeow9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 15 yrs old with kidney disease. He is on k/d wet and dry food. I give him sub q fluids twice a week. I had his blood work retested after 3mths of treatment and his BUN and Creatine have improved. My 16yr has just borderline beginning stages. Not enough to worry about fluids but they suggested starting him on enalapril along with K/D. He will start this weekend when i am home to make sure he does okay with no side effects. I will retest him and make sure his numbers are staying good. Anyone else use enalapril as a treatment?