Kidney Disease - What's working for us

brittpatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My baby, Ming, was diagnosed with kidney disease almost two years ago. When she was diagnosed they told us she had 6 months to two years to live. I was shaken and almost destroyed ; I'm a girl in my mid thirties without any children and my cat means everything to me. I started to cry and the vet said to me, "what did you expect? She's 13!"

That all being said, I'm not a person that is told "no". I did my research on kidney disease and from trail and error I can tell you the tips that have changed our lives. It's two years later from the time of initial vet visit and my cat is running, meowing, annoying me, and thriving.

1. Fluids
  • Talk to your vet about fluids. Once a week is not likely enough to make a difference. We do our every other day. Our cat has responded to it and receives them without any issues. Fluids are essential to kidney health. If you have a cat with kidney issues and you want them to live a long time, you must be prepared to have them on fluids.
2. Good food
  • My cat will only eat salmon and I'm fine with that. She eats WERUVA "Slide N Serve". and gets supplements from
  • "Pet Wellbeing Kidney Support and Pet Wellbeing Old friend".
3. Azodyl
  • This supplement is very debated within the cat community. I believe it works but others are skeptical. PM me if you want to know results from my cat.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

brittpatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My baby, Ming, was diagnosed with kidney disease almost two years ago. When she was diagnosed they told us she had 6 months to two years to live. I was shaken and almost destroyed ; I'm a girl in my mid thirties without any children and my cat means everything to me. I started to cry and the vet said to me, "what did you expect? She's 13!"

That all being said, I'm not a person that is told "no". I did my research on kidney disease and from trail and error I can tell you the tips that have changed our lives. It's two years later from the time of initial vet visit and my cat is running, meowing, annoying me, and thriving.

1. Fluids
  • Talk to your vet about fluids. Once a week is not likely enough to make a difference. We do our every other day. Our cat has responded to it and receives them without any issues. Fluids are essential to kidney health. If you have a cat with kidney issues and you want them to live a long time, you must be prepared to have them on fluids.
2. Good food
  • My cat will only eat salmon and I'm fine with that. She eats WERUVA "Slide N Serve". and gets supplements from
3. Azodyl
  • This supplement is very debated within the cat community. I believe it works but others are skeptical. PM me if you want to know results from my cat.

brittpatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

1. Fluids
2. Good food
3. Azodyl

brittpatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please feel free to ask me any kidney disease questions you have and I will answer the best of my abilities. We have a really good kidney program going on now with Ming and I can expand upon that.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had 2 cats with ckd.

Fluids are important.

Species appropriate food is important.

Phosphorus management is important.
This can be accomplished via diet by subbing a low phosphorus protein like egg whites for a portion of their meals. Also, Aluminum Hydroxide and Calcium are both phosphorus binders. If you have an open minded and flexible vet, they can help with figuring dosage amounts that should help.

Unfortunately, ckd cannot be cured. Unlike the liver, which has a self repair system, damage to the kidneys cannot be reversed. HOWEVER, once diagnosed, you can limit further damage and make things easier on them to hopefully give you a little more time.

Both my cats with ckd diagnosis lived a good 3-4 years beyond expectation.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very glad you like it. :-)

One thing I can never seem to find is how to tell on wetfood, how much phosphorus is actually in them. How do you tell?

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very glad you like it. :-)

One thing I can never seem to find is how to tell on wetfood, how much phosphorus is actually in them. How do you tell?
Sometimes on chewy people ask questions and they get the answer and it is postedvor you can request the full info from a manufacturer.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now Tutu ‘s kidney creatinine values went from 3.3 to 4.3 then with diet change and a few supplements down to 2.5 normal!!
Got her off red meat venison and on to Lotus rabbit pate. 50 ml subQ fluids. EPAkitin (phosphorus binder) twice a day in her food and Proviable DC (probiotic) added once a day to her food. I was going to do Azodyl but decided to leave her on Proviable as it seemed to help. I might lower her sub to 50 or 49 ml a day. She is only a 5.5 lb. cat. Her other meds remained the same.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend you add some extra fish oil to her diet. Specifically Omega 3s. My cat gets 300mg of combined EPA and DHA per day for maintenance but your cat can get more since it sounds like she has a hard diagnosis.