Kidney Cat With Aggression Issues

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Piglet is my CKF/FORL cat. She'll be 12 next month. Over the last year, Piglet's kidney numbers have been stable (I've been very careful with her diet). Last summer she had most of the rest of her teeth extracted - she only has the teensy tiny ones in the front left, everything from canines back has been removed preemptively due to FORL. Before that surgery it was determined that she has early stage congestive heart failure, which I was told not to worry about. Piglet is not on any meds.

Over the last couple of months, Piglet seems to have gotten more aggressive. Nothing changed before her behavior changed. She growls and hisses at my dog - which is pretty typical for her - but Piglet has recently started becoming very aggressive with my other two cats. One is a 11 year old spayed female, one almost 7 year old neutered male. These three have been together since January 2011 and have had their spats but nothing extreme. Piglet will be sitting by the food dishes begging and if one of the other cats comes near her, she lashes out, growling and hissing and physically attacking them. The other female will just run away, the male will halfheartedly swat back. Piglet will walk past the male while he is just sitting there minding his own business and attack him. In the morning, she will pick fights with the other cats in the hall outside my bedroom, I'm assuming to get my attention to feed her. Other than this, she's 'normal' - she jumps on me and makes muffins on my belly and purrs and wants scritches sometimes.

I took Piglet to the vet about 6 or 7 weeks ago to have bloodwork done to see if something was physically wrong and contributing to the behavior. Her blood levels are basically the same as they were a year ago. I have not changed their food or litter or anything like that. The other two cats' behavior is the same as it's always been. Is there something I could be missing?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My guess, and it is only a guess, is that her health isn't good (although she's stable), and she just doesn't feel all that well (not necessarily actually 'in pain') and wants to be left alone. Crotchety. That's the word I wanted. And having some chronic health issues myself, I know how that can be! There are some fairly good calming collars on the market that may help, but I'd ask the vet before using them on a compromised cat.