Kicker toys without catnip

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, my 1.5 year old boy Kirby loves kicker toys, but I am finding that he turns into a bit of a “mean drunk“ with the strong catnip toys like the Yeeowww banana toy. He turns a bit aggressive and tries to smack and pounce my 4 year old female cat, Sango. Does anyone have suggestions on a durable kicker toy that either has no catnip or just weak catnip? I’m trying to find something larger and durable as he’s quite violent and almost think he would try to swallow a toy. He gets super into it! I have Kong Kickaroo that’s doing okay so far, but I fear it will be destroyed soon. The Kong toy is very weak on the catnip too since I bought when Sango was adopted a few years ago.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would buy him an inexpensive plush stuffed kids toy animal that is just slightly smaller than himself. Great for kicking and wrestling. Or you could look for a stuffed toy in the dog toy section of a local pet store.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can make your own kicker toy using the fabric of an old pair of jeans or other similar sturdy material. If sewing isn't your thing, Etsy.com has lots of kicker cat toys and you can usually request that no catnip be used inside the toy.

Just looked on Etsy - lots of canvas / cotton duck fabric and denim kicker toys available in various sizes and patterns. Most have catnip but you can request no catnip or the seller may have a separate no catnip filled toy listing.

Last edited:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also make a kicker by putting an old sweat sock inside another and tying it into knots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 such a great idea!! I never even considered this. I don’t sew, but I know several family members that do. The cat toys on Etsy are so cute too!

Yoda16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my 1.5 year old boy Kirby loves kicker toys, but I am finding that he turns into a bit of a “mean drunk“ with the strong catnip toys like the Yeeowww banana toy. He turns a bit aggressive and tries to smack and pounce my 4 year old female cat, Sango. Does anyone have suggestions on a durable kicker toy that either has no catnip or just weak catnip? I’m trying to find something larger and durable as he’s quite violent and almost think he would try to swallow a toy. He gets super into it! I have Kong Kickaroo that’s doing okay so far, but I fear it will be destroyed soon. The Kong toy is very weak on the catnip too since I bought when Sango was adopted a few years ago.

Yoda16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. Please define “a bit of a mean drunk.” My four-year-old girl who is sweet & trusting has only had a catnip toy or two every other month. Weak ones, btw, are the thin Imperial brand hearts if you can find them. Today I gave her dried catnip. She ate some. Fifteen minutes later she was hissing at me over & over, agitated & upset. Never has she behaved like this. The catnip is in the trash.
Is this reaction normal?