Kibbles Look Different From Usual

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today I've opened a new bag of RC anallergenic kibbles (which Merlino is eating for elimination trial, 4 weeks so far). They look a bit different: drier, darker and way less smelly.
In fact, the cat ate his breakfast with less enthusiasm, and totally refused the second meal of the day. I don't know what to do: it's a 2 kilos bag that costs around 35€, also it could be a part of a whole weird batch and I risk to get a similar one if I buy another in the same store.
What should I do? Just wait and hope that the cat will eventually eat them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The ingredient list looks the same, but this bag expires way sooner than the old one (however the date is 12/2019, so it's not too close to expiration )

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess I would look for tiny little punctures holes anywhere in the bag. If you find any, I would take the bag back and tell them the cat is refusing to eat them and because of the punctures holes you are guessing the food is stale from being exposed to air. Maybe even dump it all out and look for bugs - or anything else that would explain why the taste/appearance has changed?

If you don't find any of the above, I suppose you could buy another bag (look for a better expiration date) and mix them? But, I guess if it were me, I would "eat the cost" and get another bag - maybe from another store?

Last edited:

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Today I've opened a new bag of RC anallergenic kibbles (which Merlino is eating for elimination trial, 4 weeks so far). They look a bit different: drier, darker and way less smelly.
In fact, the cat ate his breakfast with less enthusiasm, and totally refused the second meal of the day. I don't know what to do: it's a 2 kilos bag that costs around 35€, also it could be a part of a whole weird batch and I risk to get a similar one if I buy another in the same store.
What should I do? Just wait and hope that the cat will eventually eat them?
The bag should have some kind of guarantee even if it's outside of the return time to the store. You would need to look on the back of the bag near the bottom and contact the company. They would probably want you to send pictures/product number on the bag and they would send you how much you paid for it. Mention you are considering switching to a different brand and they will jump at the chance to retain you.