Kibble addict question

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I have been trying to feed my cat more wet food and I just don't think I'm doing it right.

Today for example:
7 am I gave him a scoop of wet, I took it away at 8 then gave him kibble at 9 am and left the kibble out still.

What is the best way to do this?

Do I leave the wet food out longer?
Do I leave the dry food out longer?

I saw the guide online but I had some questions

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he won't eat the wet food try mixing some wet with his dry, gradually add more wet and less dry until it all wet. I personally don't leave wet food down for more than 30 mins, less in hot weather.

Last edited:

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats would rather eat the dry food instead of wet so in the mornings I mix wet with the dry, i use to leave the dry food dish out for them but now I don’t put it out until an hour or so after and I don’t put out as much as I use to. I feed them again around 5 pm and do the same thing. Usually the next morning the dishes are clean. I have a feral cat that is on our porch and I was having a problem getting her to eat wet food. So in the morning I feed her 1/2 can of fancy feast medleys and I don’t leave any dry food until after I feed her around 5-6 pm. In the mornings she’s hungry so she will eat the wet food better now.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my girls is incredibly picky. She 100% prefers dry, doesn't like seafood, and refuses most pate. My typical day is group feed of wet in morning and dry in evening, but I occasionally buy flaked and more "whole food" varieties and offer her a separate meal midday to get her to consume any wet at all. She won't eat more than about 1.5 ounces and I never see her drink, but she'd live on cheap dry food if I let her. :/

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mrw5641 mrw5641
You can leave wet food out longer. Cats pick up routine fast, so if he learns he gets dry at nine he may just wait for that.
Try a topper on the wet such a crumbled freeze dried treats.

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't give kibble right after wet food. Decide on a set schedule and treat each canned/kibble as its own meal. For example, give only wet food in the morning, then dry food for lunch, wet or dry food for dinner.

Taking away kibble after an hour also helps, so that your kitty knows and gets used to a feeding schedule.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is still working on this transition at 3 months now. When I started I had to mix a teaspoon of wet into his dry. I added more and more wet slowly until it was about 50% or more wet in the mix. Slowly from there I notice him licking the wet off the kibbles and preferring to leave the kibble, so I started to not mix, but just have wet and some kibble on top. He chooses which one to eat first based on his mood. I still keep kibble since he will not recognize his food is food until I plop kibble in the bowl, even when he choose to eat the wet first.

I work from home so I can afford to offer him his food several times a day as he grazes even when he's starving. When he walks away I put a lid on his bowl and put it in the fridge. When he's hungry he will sit by his food mat so I will offer it to him. If your cat also only eats a tiny bit every time, you can try doing the mixing first so it doesn't feel like you're wasting food. Or you can only offer wet food when you're free to observe their eating and when to offer again. He usually has some leftovers that I leave out overnight but it rarely lasts the whole night. He usually finishes it in a few hours. If you're worried, I'd leave out dry instead of wet just to be safe, especially with hotter weather coming. My cat doesn't like oxidized/more dried up wet food.