Ketchup on Mac and Cheese - Yes or No

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Must be the Canadian blood in me. I like vinegar on fries, too.

Used to eat a lot more ketchup than I do now. The only thing that I use it on religiously any more is a cold baloney sandwich. Only cold. If I eat fried baloney, it's generally no condiments or maybe some mustard.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But ketchup is so good on fries.

There is a place called Thrashers in 0cean City, MD that are famous for their boardwalk fries. They will put vinegar on their fries but they absolutely refuse to ever use ketchup. They even have an agreement with other venders close by not to give people ketchup because they might use it on their fries. The last time I went there I brought some little packs of ketchup to sneak on their fries. Vinegar is OK but I like my ketchup.
The only thing good on fries is salt. I can't even imagine vinegar on fries.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well of course. You can't have fries without salt.

Canadians like their fries with gravy. I never had it but I bet it would be good with vegetarian gravy.
It might be good dipping the fries in the gravy but pouring the gravy on them would probably make them soggy which is a big NO from me.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been waiting for the border to open up again so I can get some poutine, eh? I need my Swiss Chalet fix!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had some poutine in Minnesota and it was lovely. It's probably for the best that I can't get it here or I'd be even fatter, lol (well, I've been told there's a pub in Sioux Falls that serves it but I haven't been brave enough to go searching).

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the problem. Canada is only 20 miles away for me, but I can't get any poutine until the border opens. Nobody on the American side makes it, and I don't quite know how to make it myself (and a chef I ain't).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I heard that, too. However, I'm afraid the delta variant might put the kibosh on the border reopening.
Will be interesting to see if it goes ahead as planned, or not.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been waiting for the border to open up again so I can get some poutine, eh? I need my Swiss Chalet fix!
Swiss Chalet! A friend and I ate at one in Buffalo some time in the 1970. We were on our way to Montreal via Greyhound bus and had supper there. I've never seen one since then.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's the problem. Canada is only 20 miles away for me, but I can't get any poutine until the border opens. Nobody on the American side makes it, and I don't quite know how to make it myself (and a chef I ain't).
I can't see it being hard to make. It's just fries with gravy and cheese curds. Cook up some frozen fries, add gravy and the cheese. If you're near the border you might be able to find the cheese curds. If not, you can use mozzarella but it won't be authentic of course. Gravy is so easy to make but you can always use premade gravy or make it from a packet. You could pick up a small side of gravy from the KFC drive through.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate frying stuff. Makes a big mess. However, it would be possible for me to make French fries in the little hot-air fryer I have. The stores here have cheese curds. Perhaps home-made poutine might be something I can do.

That being said, the border crossing guards' union has resolved their issues and the border is now open. All I have to do is get a COVID test within 24 hours of my intended crossing and my trip to Swiss Chalet will be a done deal!

This thread sure has gone far afield from ketchup on mac and cheese...

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate frying stuff. Makes a big mess. However, it would be possible for me to make French fries in the little hot-air fryer I have. The stores here have cheese curds. Perhaps home-made poutine might be something I can do.

That being said, the border crossing guards' union has resolved their issues and the border is now open. All I have to do is get a COVID test within 24 hours of my intended crossing and my trip to Swiss Chalet will be a done deal!

I hate frying too. It's such a mess. I just buy frozen ones and bake them in the air fryer. It's very easy to do.

You can do it!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But such a good discussion here. :lol2: I’m tempted to try making it for something fun and different. I usually plan something fun and special for right before school starts for my kids. (Next Monday!) So This would do it. My mother has an air fryer i can borrow too.