Ketchup on Mac and Cheese - Yes or No

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes I make a homemade mac and cheese with lump crab meat in it. Or imitation crab meat. The Old Bay definitely is the finishing touch on that version.

So I asked DS about ketchup on mac and cheese and it’s a no from him. I think he said something about rather have mushrooms or something. He was mumbling on his way to bed. :lol:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he said something about rather have mushrooms or something.
I like mushrooms in mac & cheese. Also: peas, onions, hot dogs, breakfast sausage (better than hot dogs, imo, even though I usually don't like breakfast sausage), bacon bits, Tajin, hot sauce, French's fried onions, chili (chili mac is really good, I discovered it myself by using up leftovers but now I know it's an actual Thing), oh, I'll throw anything in there. Not everything all at once though; that's a bit much ;). But ketchup just seems wrong somehow. But, like I said, I have to try it before I pass judgment.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, absolutely not! 😖
We rarely just do Mac and cheese, we usually have Bolognese with tomato sauce. I'm not a fan of ketchup (or any condiments) anyway.
Maybe some garlic, sambal, ect. but usually I just add more cheese 😂

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No to ketchup.
No to mac & cheese
(am I the only person in the world who doesn't like either?)
I hate ketchup. IMO it does nothing but overpower the taste of any food it is added to. Ketchup is for children and should be abandoned after the age of 5. Obviously this is MY opinion. Do what you want.

I'm also not a big fan of mac & cheese in general. It's ok every now and then but most just aren't that good. Most baked macs are dry, many are bland or greasy. I used to like it a lot when I was younger but now I usually go for something else for a side dish. When I do want some, my go to is Stouffers. It's been consistently good for decades and I just have to heat it. The only box mac worth eating IMO is Kraft 3 cheese. I loathe Velveeta. It's not food. It's a crime against food. You can't change my mind about that. DH loved it and so does DD. I still don't get it. DD laughs every time I cringe when she eats it. They loved the Velveeta shells & cheese. I'd make if for them but I'd put some of the pasta aside before I added the sauce to it and eat it with just some butter and salt. That drove DH crazy. HAHA :lol:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean about either greasy or dry baked M&C. I've never been able to make it right from scratch. My most successful efforts have been from doctoring up box M&C mix.

Stouffer's is indeed the gold standard for frozen M&C. Old Vern Stouffer had it right.

M&C is one thing my cats crave. They usually swarm all over me. I always have to let them 'wash the dishes.'

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know what you mean about either greasy or dry baked M&C. I've never been able to make it right from scratch. My most successful efforts have been from doctoring up box M&C mix.

Stouffer's is indeed the gold standard for frozen M&C. Old Vern Stouffer had it right.

M&C is one thing my cats crave. They usually swarm all over me. I always have to let them 'wash the dishes.'
Marie Callender's has a frozen Vermont white cheddar mac that's up there with Stouffer's. The only drawbacks for me is that it's VERY rich so I can't eat much of it and I've only been able to find it in a multi portion box. I can get a single portion of Stouffers for $2 when it's on sale. Mac and cheese does not reheat well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm vegetarian, so not much of my food interests Ruby, but mac and cheese is one that does. She doesn't eat many pieces, but like your cats, she crawls all over me till I give her some.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm vegetarian, so not much of my food interests Ruby, but mac and cheese is one that does. She doesn't eat many pieces, but like your cats, she crawls all over me till I give her some.
I really don't eat if often so I don't know if the girls would want it or not. I've never given them any. Lilith does like cheese though. I give her little tastes of it from time to time. Sophie does not agree with her sister on that. She only wants meat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really don't eat if often so I don't know if the girls would want it or not.
I don't eat it often either, so it's always a surprise when Ruby suddenly shows interest in my food. Then I remember, "right, mac and cheese".

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate ketchup. IMO it does nothing but overpower the taste of any food it is added to. Ketchup is for children and should be abandoned after the age of 5. Obviously this is MY opinion. Do what you want.

I'm also not a big fan of mac & cheese in general. It's ok every now and then but most just aren't that good. Most baked macs are dry, many are bland or greasy. I used to like it a lot when I was younger but now I usually go for something else for a side dish. When I do want some, my go to is Stouffers. It's been consistently good for decades and I just have to heat it. The only box mac worth eating IMO is Kraft 3 cheese. I loathe Velveeta. It's not food. It's a crime against food. You can't change my mind about that. DH loved it and so does DD. I still don't get it. DD laughs every time I cringe when she eats it. They loved the Velveeta shells & cheese. I'd make if for them but I'd put some of the pasta aside before I added the sauce to it and eat it with just some butter and salt. That drove DH crazy. HAHA :lol:
I've never liked ketchup, it adds nothing to any food as far as I'm concerned.

As for mac and cheese, it's the cheese I don't like. I can't do cheese in any shape or form, I just can't. Mac I'll eat with butter and salt

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never liked ketchup, it adds nothing to any food as far as I'm concerned
But ketchup is so good on fries.

There is a place called Thrashers in 0cean City, MD that are famous for their boardwalk fries. They will put vinegar on their fries but they absolutely refuse to ever use ketchup. They even have an agreement with other venders close by not to give people ketchup because they might use it on their fries. The last time I went there I brought some little packs of ketchup to sneak on their fries. Vinegar is OK but I like my ketchup.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise

There is a place called Thrashers in 0cean City, MD that are famous for their boardwalk fries. They will put vinegar on their fries but they absolutely refuse to ever use ketchup. They even have an agreement with other venders close by not to give people ketchup because they might use it on their fries. The last time I went there I brought some little packs of ketchup to sneak on their fries. Vinegar is OK but I like my ketchup.
I'm with you on that!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Salt and malt vinegar is my favorite for fries!