Ketchup? Mayo?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Has anybody tried Heinz Mayo? Has anybody tried tried Hellmann's Ketchup?

We're pretty much a Kraft Mayo family as well as a Heinz Ketchup family. That being said, I have a coupon for a free container of Hellmann's Ketchup, so I'm going to try it.

I don't know, though....Rick really likes Heinz. No Hunt's, no store brand, for either ketchup or mayo. And pass the Grey Poupon, please. :) (Although we have a ton of different mustards in the fridge. I love mustard, I dearly love mustard. And will try everything on the market.)

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only eat Vegenaise mayo and Hunts or Heinz ketchup. I have not tried Hellmanns ketchup but I will. I like Hellmanns and Kraft products.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nah, I'm a ketchup snob, only Heinz! I prefer Simply Heinz because I like to avoid corn syrup. It tastes the same as regular Heinz.

I have tried other mayonnaise brands, and they're almost all acceptable. I tend to gravitate toward Hellmann's, but I currently have Kraft olive oil mayo.

I like mustard, too, and have about 5 different types!

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of mustard, does anyone use Hellman's Dijonaise? It's a great blend of mustard and mayo. I love it because I like both mustard and mayo on my sandwhiches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
debbila debbila We have Dijonaise in the fridge. I like it.

Even with all the mustards we have in the fridge, sometimes there's nothing like plain old yellow ball park mustard to hit the spot.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't like ketchup. To me it overpowers anything it touches. DD likes it and I still have a bottle of Heinz in the fridge but it will likely end up in the trash. I love mayo. Hellmann's is the best. Duke's and Blue Plate are also very good. I do like mustard but I hate yellow mustard. The only thing it belongs on IMO is a Cuban sandwich. I like my mustard spicy. Publix makes a deli style mustard that I love. It has horseradish in it which I also love. I haven't seen it in ages but Hickory Farms makes a sweet hot mustard that is wonderful. They used to have stands in the mall around the holidays in NY but I haven't seen that around here. I loved it on pretzels and cheddar cheese. I used to thinly slice their beef summer sausage, pan fry it and then put it on a cracker with a thin slice of cheddar and some of the mustard. So yummy. Here it is. Hickory Farms Sweet Hot Mustard | Hickory Farms

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We've used Duke's mayo because it was new around here and thought we'd give it a try. It's not bad mayo.

When I was a kid, Mom said she found me sitting under the kitchen table with a huge jar of French's yellow and a spoon. There I was, gobbling down mustard, and my mouth was all yellow. She found my sister behind the couch working on a stick of margarine (and it was margarine, not butter). Or it was me behind the couch and my sister under the table, one or the other. We must have been weird little girls!

I prefer yellow mustard in my potato and macaroni salads. Probably just because that's how Mom made it. There was only one mustard in their fridge, French's yellow.....in the big jar.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've just recently tried Ken's Extra Heavy Mayo. i'm not sure what makes it 'extra heavy' (though i'm sure i could find out online, if i wanted to). it's really quite good! :yummy:

i've never tried Heinz mayo or Hellman's ketchup. i'm not particular about brands, just that i like the taste.

i like a little mustard mixed into potato salad too! :agree: i used to use just plain yellow mustard, but i've found that i really like spicy brown mustard in potato salad too!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've used Duke's mayo because it was new around here and thought we'd give it a try. It's not bad mayo.

When I was a kid, Mom said she found me sitting under the kitchen table with a huge jar of French's yellow and a spoon. There I was, gobbling down mustard, and my mouth was all yellow. She found my sister behind the couch working on a stick of margarine (and it was margarine, not butter). Or it was me behind the couch and my sister under the table, one or the other. We must have been weird little girls!

I prefer yellow mustard in my potato and macaroni salads. Probably just because that's how Mom made it. There was only one mustard in their fridge, French's yellow.....in the big jar.
When I was a kid, It was Hellmann's mayo only per Dad and 2 kinds of mustard. Gulden's spicy brown and Colman's. I had never heard of putting mustard, relish or hard boiled eggs in potato salad until I got to Florida. I'd never seen that in NY. In our house, there was one potato salad allowed (again by Dad) and that was Grandma's recipe. Mom doesn't like to cook and will avoid doing so whenever possible but she did on occasion make potato salad for Dad. It was also one of the first things I learned how to make. Potatoes, mayo (Hellmann's of course), finely chopped celery and onion, S&P, oil & vinegar. Why the oil & vinegar with the mayo? They add just add that little bit of extra. It's simple and flawless. I used to make it for DD and DH. DD still loves it. It's still her favorite and it was DH's as well. DH was so funny. We'd be out at the store and he'd pick up a container of potato salad from the deli and sigh loudly. I'd just shake my head and ask, "do you want me to make some potato salad?" He'd light up and say, "OK! What do I need to get?" I have brought it to countless potlucks over the years and everyone loves it. The first time I ever made it by myself I think I may have been 10. Dad came home from work, found it, had some and assumed Mom had made it. He was quite surprised to find out that I had made it by myself. :banana2:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anybody tried Heinz Mayo? Has anybody tried tried Hellmann's Ketchup?

We're pretty much a Kraft Mayo family as well as a Heinz Ketchup family. That being said, I have a coupon for a free container of Hellmann's Ketchup, so I'm going to try it.

I don't know, though....Rick really likes Heinz. No Hunt's, no store brand, for either ketchup or mayo. And pass the Grey

Poupon, please. :) (Although we have a ton of different

mustards in the fridge. I love mustard, I dearly love mustard. And will try everything on the market.)

Has anybody tried Heinz Mayo? Has anybody tried

tried Hellmann's Ketchup?

We're pretty much a Kraft Mayo family as well as a Heinz Ketchup family. That being said, I have a coupon for a free

container of Hellmann's Ketchup, so I'm going to try it.

I don't know, though....Rick really likes Heinz. No Hunt's, no

store brand, for either ketchup or mayo. And pass the Grey Poupon, please. :) (Although we have a ton of different
mustards in the fridge. I love mustard, I dearly love mustard. And will try everything on the market.)
I was told years ago that Giant mayo is really Duke's mayo and that it comes from the South.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was told years ago that Giant mayo is really Duke's mayo and that it comes from the South.
That wouldn't surprise me at all. I've used Publix brand mayo and it tastes exactly like Hellmann's to me. I found this Duke's vs Hellmann's article. The funniest part is the last 3 lines.

"By the end of the week, one thing was clear. There is only one thing that unites the Duke’s and Hellmann’s camps:

Fear of Miracle Whip." :fear:

Isn’t the world big enough for both Duke’s and Hellmann’s fans?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
"Fear of Miracle Whip" :flail: A lot of people really despise MW.

I'm sure a lot of store brands food are actually brand names with different labels.

I dearly, dearly love potato salad. It was one of those things that Mom made that we could eat and eat until we exploded. I've tried to make it like she did and can't. And I gave up. Mine isn't bad, but it's not hers. I only use golds or reds and, after cooking and draining them, I throw them back into the kettle with a good splash of olive oil and white wine vinegar and let them dry a bit. Lots of onion, celery, and hard-cooked eggs. Salt. I'm not a salt-addict, but potato salad needs salt. Dressing is mayo and Miracle Whip (it's what Mom used), pickle relish, ball park mustard, a good dash or three of pepper, and (sometimes) a wee bit of sugar. Mom used ball park mustard, but I use whatever I have on hand and don't worry about it. The pickle relish is actually my zucchini relish that I can every summer. And when my BIL comes to dinner, I won't use Miracle Whip because he doesn't like it.

I got my free bottle of Hellmann's ketchup last night. There was just one 14-ounce bottle left in the display; the rest of the bottles were 20 ounces. Just as I was reaching for the lone bottle, a man was reaching for it, too. I was quicker. ;) We are having vegetarian burgers later on this week. I'll let you know what we think of the ketchup.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't like Miracle Whip, it's too sweet. A friend of mine loves it and I try to tell her it has too much sugar for her to eat with diabetes. Trader Joe's brand mayo doesn't have sugar.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i don't like Miracle Whip, it's too sweet. A friend of mine loves it and I try to tell her it has too much sugar for her to eat with diabetes. Trader Joe's brand mayo doesn't have sugar.
That stuff is awful. DH used to buy the Great Value mayo (which also tastes like Hellmann's). He also would buy a jar of the GV version of Miracle Whip because he liked both. The jars look identical- what a cruel joke to play on people but what do you expect from the evil empire? :devilish: I grabbed the wrong jar once and I sandwich with it. I took one bite, spit it out and the sandwich went in the trash. :disappointed:

To this day my taste buds have not forgiven me for not checking the label first. :eviltongue:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I did my own taste-test with Heinz versus Hellmann's. You know what? It's ketchup! The Hellmann's just might be a wee bit spicier than Heinz and it seems a little runnier than Heinz, but it's ketchup. I wouldn't be adverse to buying it, although I'd still buy Heinz first..

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I just discovered something the other day that I think I might love more than both ketchup and mayo...

Sriracha mixed with yogurt. :jawdrop:

Just try it.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Love Sriracha! I've mixed it with mayo before.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! I'll look for it when we grab some groceries.