Keeping Them Separated

BarbCatLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I need some advice and guidance. I posted earlier about Ruby. My semi-feral who adopted us back in January. She is still around and I finally have her to the point she is clearly our cat. Here's the problem I am having. I did introduce slowly (behind cages and screens) my other two cats to Ruby and the first day they were fine. Now, not so much. I have used the tricks of distraction, playing, water, etc. but I think Ruby just has too much outside blood in her. Meaning she does not really want to live in a house. I'm okay with that. She has a place on the front porch and there are not any predators where we live. Ruby does like to come in during the day and she will sleep inside all day. When she wants to sleep this long, I usually lock up my other two cats. I cannot do this to my two friends any longer. I am looking to divide the house so that each has own space. Does anyone have any pictures of how I could divide an entry way so when Ruby comes in, she can go to her rooms and my other cats can stay in the main part of the house and go outside to the catio when they want. I know I have heard from others who have to keep cats separated. Any help would be appreciated. And something a cat could not climb up and over. Certainly there has to be such a thing.
Barb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BarbCatLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great idea! Here is a pic. Would want from left side of wall to right side. Not the smaller archway.

Attachments

BarbCatLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would want Ruby to have access to front door and the two rooms through the archway.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 10 indoor cats, they are separated....6 in one section, the others in another part of the house. We have folding doors to separate them. But it all depends how your house plan is.
My husband made the fence-like portion so we can leave one door open to circulate the air and also not allow cats to get thru.

Attachments

BarbCatLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is awesome! Thank you for that picture. Perfect idea too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think Babypaws Babypaws has got the right idea. You can also make your own make-shift folding door from shelving from any DIY store. It comes in various heights, can be put together with zip ties to act as the folds, and is easily moveable when needed. Here is an example.
Shelving blockade.png

BarbCatLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any issues with a cat trying to climb over the top? I really like the design here as well. I'll peruse Lowe's or Home Depot for shelving. My husband prefers that whatever I do is not permanently attached to the walls. And yes, we need to go through the barrier at night too!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any issues with a cat trying to climb over the top? I really like the design here as well. I'll peruse Lowe's or Home Depot for shelving. My husband prefers that whatever I do is not permanently attached to the walls. And yes, we need to go through the barrier at night too!
If need be, I believe the shelving can be bought as tall as the ceiling. You could probably secure the shelving on the sides with hooks that would be semi-permanent but would allow for easy opening and closing. They might require some wall repair work once they were removed, but that is generally a fairly easy task.

EDIT: plexi glass could be placed and secured over the lower section of the shelving to help reduce the ability for climbing.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The shelving barrier would be quite difficult to secure from the front door to the bedrooms, especially if you need to be able to get through it at night. It would definitely need to be secured to the walls. It's heavy and can be knocked over. I used it while integrating the guy I trapped while turning him into an indoor cat. He was a climber and could climb over it. I had to block the top of it with a baby gate. That only works in a doorway. Is there any way you could train Ruby to come to a bedroom window, one of the rooms you want her to have access to, and let her in through a window? Then you would only have to block off the hallway?

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think Babypaws Babypaws has got the right idea. You can also make your own make-shift folding door from shelving from any DIY store. It comes in various heights, can be put together with zip ties to act as the folds, and is easily moveable when needed. Here is an example. View attachment 345416
I think Babypaws Babypaws has got the right idea. You can also make your own make-shift folding door from shelving from any DIY store. It comes in various heights, can be put together with zip ties to act as the folds, and is easily moveable when needed. Here is an example. View attachment 345416
For the folding doors we have the section that looks like lattice, my husband made it with 3 separate pieces he had left over from another project and he put a bracket to hold it to the wall. Some of our cats are kinda curious so before he put the bracket up he had pushed it open and got into the other room. So if we want the folding doors closed completely the lattice can be removed.
Eventually he plans on removing some of the inside panels and replace the wood with this stuff (picture attached). I don’t know what it’s called.
The picture is of the pass thru opening between the dining room and kitchen which the cats had a ball jumping thru it and ending up breaking some stuff. This works great! So he’s going to be using that stuff in the panels on folding doors...result: cats can’t get out and the air/heat can circulate and the cats can see each other.

Attachments