keeping them off kitchen counters

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So yeah, rivel ingested cooking oil today and her behavior jumping on kitchen counter is is getting worse. I tried using double sided tape, but she managed to find and jump onto a non taped surfaces. It doesn't seem to work unless i tape ALL the counter top, like every inch of them which is not possible.

This behavior appear usually after she's eating and she has this bad habit of seeking more food even when she had enough and started roaming the kitchen to find more food.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boone and Gracie are counter jumpers too. More so Gracie. I manage to stop Gracie if I can use my body to block the area she is trying to get to. I have also learned that if I sit at the kitchen table while I am cooking, both will come sit with me and won't try to get onto the counter. I hope you find something that works for you. Maybe put Rivel in another room until the food is in the oven or done cooking?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Boone and Gracie are counter jumpers too. More so Gracie. I manage to stop Gracie if I can use my body to block the area she is trying to get to. I have also learned that if I sit at the kitchen table while I am cooking, both will come sit with me and won't try to get onto the counter. I hope you find something that works for you. Maybe put Rivel in another room until the food is in the oven or done cooking?
She doesn't do it when i am around, but usually after meal she does it especially when i am not around. Are there any safe, smell based cat repellent that i can spray around the area? Like if something smells disgusting to her, but safe to sniff and possibly ingest if worst happen? She suddenly likes to lick oil -_-

This is giving me quite the headache. Now she goes for the container where i store cooking oil and licks the excess stuff outisde the lid.

Why Rivel whyyy

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whiskey will jump on counters sometimes too, usually after dinner when seeking more food :) Generally we wipe down our counters, so if I am there preparing food I just shoo her off and she usually stays off after that. After meals, we wipe down the counters and put everything away, so when she does jump up there when we're not around, there is no harm and she usually just jumps down after finding nothing of interest.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try a motion activated toy or Halloween decoration that makes noise or moves when it senses motion. Something that screams or screeches might be enough to permanently stop her.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whiskey will jump on counters sometimes too, usually after dinner when seeking more food :) Generally we wipe down our counters, so if I am there preparing food I just shoo her off and she usually stays off after that. After meals, we wipe down the counters and put everything away, so when she does jump up there when we're not around, there is no harm and she usually just jumps down after finding nothing of interest.
:yeah: I clean as I cook so there usually isn't anything on the counters. I also feed them their dinner as I am making ours. That keeps them occupied for the most part. Then it's naptime due to a full belly. The only time Gracie or Boone get to "taste test" is if I forgot to get an ingredient and have to move away from where I was standing body blocking them.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some Ssscat and put it on the counter when you leave. It's a motion detector and will shoot a puff of air at them when they jump up. That stopped Lily from jumping up, and I've used it in various places, all with good results.

Ssscat

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its hard enough dealing with a cat that just wants to be up there because its near you. If they think there is something delicious up there, I don't know what would work. Probably just best to become a neat freak as described above (sorry lol!) for at least a couple of weeks to try and break the habit.

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its hard enough dealing with a cat that just wants to be up there because its near you. If they think there is something delicious up there, I don't know what would work. Probably just best to become a neat freak as described above (sorry lol!) for at least a couple of weeks to try and break the habit.
No problem, I totally own neat freakishness, especially around the kitchen!

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Motion sensor products are very hard to come by in my country. I guess the only solution is to keep the oilsand leftovers away for now -_-

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oil won’t hurt a cat but it might give her the runs if she eats enough of it.

Sometimes people give oil to their cats to help with hair balls and other digestive issues.

However, if she gets into one thing on the counter, she might get into something else that isn’t good for her. You are right to keep an eye open.

”Counter Surfing” is common among cats. Luckily, Casper isn’t a counter surfer. He’s the only cat I ever had that doesn’t do it.

Basically, I always just made sure that the counter were “cat proofed.”

Other than that, advice from others above is what I would also do.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oil won’t hurt a cat but it might give her the runs if she eats enough of it.

Sometimes people give oil to their cats to help with hair balls and other digestive issues.

However, if she gets into one thing on the counter, she might get into something else that isn’t good for her. You are right to keep an eye open.

”Counter Surfing” is common among cats. Luckily, Casper isn’t a counter surfer. He’s the only cat I ever had that doesn’t do it.

Basically, I always just made sure that the counter were “cat proofed.”

Other than that, advice from others above is what I would also do.
basically yaeh. i try to keep em clean, but i would slip once or twice like yesterday. the counter probably smelled like food so she hangs out there

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hoboforeternity Hoboforeternity If you makes you feel any better, I had two pizza dough crusts out on the counter. I made the mistake of turning my back because I had to get something out of either the fridge or pantry. Turned around and Gracie was walking across both crusts. :doh:

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hoboforeternity Hoboforeternity If you makes you feel any better, I had two pizza dough crusts out on the counter. I made the mistake of turning my back because I had to get something out of either the fridge or pantry. Turned around and Gracie was walking across both crusts. :doh:
At least they didn't eat them lol.

Uncooked dough is dangerous i heard because it can still expand after eaten and cause blockage

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least they didn't eat them lol.

Uncooked dough is dangerous i heard because it can still expand after eaten and cause blockage
It wasn't uncooked. It was a premade pizza crust that you add the sauce, cheese and toppings to the top. Pop it in the oven to heat everything up. I think I would have rather her eat it than put her dirty feet on it.