Keeping stray away?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Lately I've been seeing a stray cat come around. It comes right up to my porch and it's not making my cats happy at all. I want to nip this quickly and save my own cats stress from this stranger coming around. I really don't want them to start to get territorial and making messes. Cassie is already displaying protectiveness over me whenever this guy comes around; she's highly stressed.

I live in a 2 story condo. Someone here is feeding this cat and I don't know who. I see cat bowl out (There's one 'community' cat that one person feeds and claims she only feeds that one, but not any others- who knows if this new cat has taken the food). I asked the board to enforce the "Do not feed wildlife" rule which I feel should apply to stray cats as well- last thing I want is an over population and issues that comes with feeding a colony of cats (I apologize if it makes me sound bad, but.. you know.) It runs off when I get too close to the door, so I can't see if there's a collar or not. I've been asking if anyone owns it in the area.

As I mentioned, I live in a condo and I really don't know how to keep this feline away from my door. I have no property, just a porch. There's no way for me to put a motion sensor out there, mainly due to people walking by and setting it off. Evidently it's bothering my other neighbors cats as well. I can't screen in my porch, not allowed. No blinds, this door is in my kitchen and I don't like having blinds right next to my stove- and it's my main exit- blinds are a pain to go in and out- hence why I have that privacy film and just left the bottom for the cats to see out. My own cats join me on my porch, I don't want to spray anything down to deter them away.

Anyone have suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest privacy film for the windows.
Are there no kill shelters you could take the cat to in your area? Maybe get on a waiting list if needed.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
buy a gallon weed sprayer along with gallon bottle of vinegar mix and fill the sprayr then spray a wide boundary line/area around out side i had to deal with same issue this past year or so doesnt smell nice but hopefully it will work to make that feral streer clearnote you gotta spray everyday/night for about a week and repeat as necessary thats what i did and its been workinggalon of vinegar will last a pretty good while once you figure out how strong you need to mix it to keep the stray away like before the porch area etc. careful though vinegar is acidic i dont know how or if it will kill any greenery etc./painted stuff

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to suggest privacy film for the windows.
Are there no kill shelters you could take the cat to in your area? Maybe get on a waiting list if needed.
I thought of that, but if someone is taking care of this cat in my community, I don't want to make waves with them. Plus Im sure I need the board's permission to invite someone on the property for that

buy a gallon weed sprayer along with gallon bottle of vinegar mix and fill the sprayr then spray a wide boundary line/area around out side i had to deal with same issue this past year or so doesnt smell nice but hopefully it will work to make that feral streer clearnote you gotta spray everyday/night for about a week and repeat as necessary thats what i did and its been workinggalon of vinegar will last a pretty good while once you figure out how strong you need to mix it to keep the stray away like before the porch area etc. careful though vinegar is acidic i dont know how or if it will kill any greenery etc./painted stuff
What is the mix solution exactly consist of? Vinegar and water? Would the vinegar kill the gardens which is right next to my porch? I need to be respectful of my neighbors (Especially if it smells that bad) and the condo grounds.

see my difficultly? It's not like its my own property where I can do whatever I want, I need to make sure I follow rules and don't upset my direct neighbors

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought of that, but if someone is taking care of this cat in my community, I don't want to make waves with them. Plus Im sure I need the board's permission to invite someone on the property for that

What is the mix solution exactly consist of? Vinegar and water? Would the vinegar kill the gardens which is right next to my porch? I need to be respectful of my neighbors (Especially if it smells that bad) and the condo grounds.

see my difficultly? It's not like its my own property where I can do whatever I want, I need to make sure I follow rules and don't upset my direct neighbors
i live in a down stairs corner apartmentand tried asking management etc. for help my city basicly has a law against trapping/removal of problem animals the cat groups all either were no help or no response to my pleas for help plus i am disabled so i cant manage trapping this feral myself so this vinegar is the only non fatal solution i have to use. the mix i use is about 2 inches of vinegar then fill the sprayer up shake it up and get to spraying. usually i spray soon as its dark and early morning when i wake up 4 am when cats are up. amazon sells plastic spike strips/mats that i have yet to try

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I'll take a look at the vinegar solution. Seems like it might be the best and only option at this point

thanks!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
yea vinegar solution isn't working. The cat keeps coming back. Tonight Cassie went balistic and she lunged at the door. I thought she was going to break my door down :( I've never seen her this upset before and she's the most mellow peaceful cat ever. I chased the stray away.

I also contacted the manager of the condo to see if they can do anything about it too

Spike mats, not sure how it'll work on my porch. I will have to look and see.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I found out who’s been feeding the cat. A board member. They should know. I found the cat in the storage unit in the basement, there must be a broken window somewhere where it comes and goes. At least she has a warm place to stay?

F48A04F6-024C-450D-B51E-0DF84298756A.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's good! I'm glad she has somewhere to sleep and someone to feed her. Looks like she's been TNR'd too, she has an ear tip.

I hope your cats get used to her in time. Hiro used to get really upset when Fergus first showed up, but they've learnt to tolerate each other over the past few years.