Keeping slugs and snails out of the cats food?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know a way to keep slugs and snails from getting in the cat food?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have issues with snails but do periodically have issues with slugs. I've had the best luck with placing the bowl the kitties eat from inside a slightly larger bowl (I use a pie pan because the fit's perfect for our bowls) and fill that larger bowl with a thin layer of salt, then place the food bowl on top of the salt. Easy, cheap, and effective without pesticides, etc near their food.

We also - as it warms up - have had issues with ants too. When those start being an issue, we put water in the larger bowl. I've never combined the two (to make salt water) - but if you have trouble with both it'd be worth a try!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have issues with snails but do periodically have issues with slugs. I've had the best luck with placing the bowl the kitties eat from inside a slightly larger bowl (I use a pie pan because the fit's perfect for our bowls) and fill that larger bowl with a thin layer of salt, then place the food bowl on top of the salt. Easy, cheap, and effective without pesticides, etc near their food.

We also - as it warms up - have had issues with ants too. When those start being an issue, we put water in the larger bowl. I've never combined the two (to make salt water) - but if you have trouble with both it'd be worth a try!
I'll give it a try. Thanks!