Keeping outdoor kitty in at night-- she's tearing down the house

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few years ago we adopted a loving mostly oudoor kitty.  She is allowed in whenever she wants but generally prefers to be outside.  This has been fine as we made her a 'house' in the safety of the backyard.  Recently, she moved to the front yard and refuses to stay out back.  We have a small fenced area out front that is safe from any predators, but she will not stay in it.  To keep her safe from coyotes and owls, I have begun forcing her inside at night.  4 weeks into this, she was still screaming all night and tearing the house up.  I moved her to the garage with food, litter box etc. and she is a mess.  She cries all night and beats on the door.  She is hoarse each morning and is losing weight from being up all night crying.  

I really thought she would adjust, but she isn't.  Any suggestions, or should I just give up?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is spayed.  Sorry, I lost this thread.

We have moved her into the garage at night.  She is still really unhappy, but she is safe from predators and can't destroy the house and keep everyone awake.  She goes in at dark and gets out at daylight.