Keeping Male Kitten In The Garage

Jmoses

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Me and my family recently got our first kitten on fathers day of this year. Right now hes about 6-7 months old and 2 weeks or so ago he sprayed in the house. Not wanting this to happen of course.. ive decided to put him in the garage until he can be neutered. Its a 2 car garage with no cars in it and is attached to the house. I live in florida so right now the climate is mild to chilly. Well the apt is dec 29th so he still has about 21 more days of exile. I go in rhere a couple times a day to scratch him ect. I also got him a harness so he can explore the driveway a bit. Not too far. My real dilemma is i feel guilty. He meows. Obviously wants back in. Hes very affectionate. Am i going about it wrong? Bad car owner ect. ?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with W Willowy about checking for an infection. You could even catch some of his urine (in a sterile container, of course) and take it to the vet yourself for testing to see if an infection is involved; thereby potentially avoiding nearly two back-to-back vet trips. I believe you can actually place the urine in a cooler/refrigerator - for up to 24 hours - if you can't go immediately to the vet with it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he eating mostly dry food? My boy cat sprays when he eats too much dry food. Maybe try increasing his canned food. You don't really want him spraying all over the garage like my cat did. It makes the whole garage stink and it's impossible to clean the wood. :(

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the garage. I see no problem with that. One of ours is in the garage.
When the weather is nice, one of the doors stays open so she can go out if she wants. (That's not often this time of year though).
If we bring her in the house, 30 minutes later she's at the garage door wanting back to the garage. It's her home

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree to have his urine checked and regardless get him on mostly all canned food if you can. Will be better for his urinary tract system in the long run.