Keeping kitties safe from cords on blinds

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am hoping some one else has figured out a way to keep kitties safe from the cords on blinds, while still being able to actually use the blinds.

The majority of the year I keep any given set of blinds always open or always closed and wrap the cords around the top, but now that it’s a thousand degrees outside I’d like to actually be able to easily move some of them up and down. I haven’t figured out any good way to keep the cords away from the kitties while still leaving them easily adjustable and wondered if anyone else has.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I have different blinds now, but in my last house, I wrapped the cords around a cleat to keep them from dangling. It only took a few seconds to unwrap them, adjust the blind, and wrap the cord up again. And the cleats are cheap and easy to install.
57DAE12E-C875-488D-B53F-16666722916E.jpeg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about possibly replacing the blinds? The newer ones are cordless and they are wonderful, not just to keep the cat safe but so much easier to raise and lower.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about possibly replacing the blinds? The newer ones are cordless and they are wonderful, not just to keep the cat safe but so much easier to raise and lower.
I don’t want to do that anytime soon but when I do I will definitely get cordless!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use those 3M removable hangers and basically do what Tobermory Tobermory does.
I’ve used those, too, and they’re great. They’re completely removable and come in a variety of styles, including a double hook, which might work well in this case. 3M Command strips.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a metal cord that forms a full loop, but it has several places that are breakaway (like the material on a lot of keychains). Granted, mine came that way but I imagine it can also be DIYed. I love it, because I can pull anywhere on one side to raise or the other side to lower, and the cord always stays neatly in place with no ends to secure.

20210608_232836.jpg