Keeping cats out of palm tree?

PassifloraFoetida

Perpetual cat bed
Young Cat
Purraise
We recently got a pretty expensive palm tree for the master bedroom, and my cats absolutely will not leave it alone. I've tried a bunch of things to make the tree unappealing (Sprayed the leaves with diluted lemon water, left peels in the pot, tin foil, sticky tape, physical barriers, rewarded the cats for eating more appropriate plants, increased play time during the day to keep them tired out, puzzle toys with treats in them to keep them preoccupied.) No smell or taste deterrents have ever really worked on them, but I hoped it might this time since they were actually chewing the leaves. We have tons of plants that they leave alone, but something about the taste or texture of this plant is irresistible to them. They've been to the vet to rule out nutrition/health issues, and they have cat grass pretty much everywhere in the apartment. Like, we bought a couple of cat grass plants for each room and we encourage them to use them with positive reinforcement. They still use these plants, but they seem to prefer the palm. I honestly don't know what else to try with this plant, and we'd prefer not to lock them out of the master bedroom when they can't be supervised. Have any of you had success with your cats using a different method? I wanted to try the motion detector that sprays air, but they're not available in my country for a reasonable price.

druvendra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try a large dog cage and stick it in there, or a fishtank of sorts, no way anyones getting to it. That, or it has to be outside. I'd be careful with allowing them to eat it espicailly considering that you have used repellents; in which could be toxic or harmful otherwise to the cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PassifloraFoetida

Perpetual cat bed
Young Cat
Purraise
Try a large dog cage and stick it in there, or a fishtank of sorts, no way anyones getting to it. That, or it has to be outside. I'd be careful with allowing them to eat it espicailly considering that you have used repellents; in which could be toxic or harmful otherwise to the cats.
I've only used diluted lemon juice as a repellent on the plant itself thus far. Everything I've seen has said its basically harmless, just unpleasant. Is that wrong?

druvendra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've only used diluted lemon juice as a repellent on the plant itself thus far. Everything I've seen has said its basically harmless, just unpleasant. Is that wrong?
Here's a thing on it, and another thing on it (bonus: full list) The tree itself could also contain dangerous attributes but I am unsure the species. But it is food for thought.
I would not use any scent/taste repellents, personally.
Here's another idea I thought of though - you could cover a large desk's / coffee table's surface in sticky tape so they cannot walk over to the plant.
I personally don't use double sided because it's weak and my cats are too determined for it. I use packing tape instead folded over itself with tape along the corners keeping it in place.

Joan M

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put tin foil up the trunk of my ficus, but it looks awful. The plant is outside for the summer, and since it's huge for my kitchen anyway, I'm giving it to my daughter-in-law in the fall.

Mia also uses my huge jade plants for scratching posts; they're outside now and I'm giving them away, too.

So I just gave up. Not very positive input, but I didn't want the stress.

druvendra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I put tin foil up the trunk of my ficus, but it looks awful. The plant is outside for the summer, and since it's huge for my kitchen anyway, I'm giving it to my daughter-in-law in the fall.

Mia also uses my huge jade plants for scratching posts; they're outside now and I'm giving them away, too.

So I just gave up. Not very positive input, but I didn't want the stress.
I relate, in time of practicing safe, biologically appropriate husbandry for my cats; I've learnt it's either:
A) Fake, but very pretty and nice looking plants.
B) Cat grass or catnip.
...........:dancingblackcat:Fake plants can be great though!