Keeping Cats in One Room

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! Two months ago, I rescued an 8-week old kitten in front of our house. She was very afraid and hungry. After a few weeks of socializing, she became a sweet playful kitten. I already had her checked by the vet—dewormed and vaccinated. I play with her everyday. But I noticed she gets sad. I’ve read about Single Kitten Syndrome. After a few weeks of research and careful thought, I decided to adopt another kitten rescued by a cat foster near my area. The two kittens became best of friends and they often play and groom each other. My mother is allergic to cats and didn’t want them inside our house. So I placed them in a separate room about 60 square meters. It is a huge room with 7 windows. I installed cat shelves and window sills. I bought a cat tree and scratching posts. I bought cat beds and pet fountain for them. I bought lots of toys like tunnels, empty boxes, catnip stuffed animals, cat turntable, etc. I feed them three times a day and spend an hour for each visit to play with them and pet them. We also visit our backyard once each day so they can run and chase butterflies or bees. I think they are having fun! But then, I keep on thinking if having them in one room is not good for them. It is certainly not ideal, but it is better than living on the streets with no food and medical support. But I often feel guilty that they are not free to roam around with our household. Do you think it would be best for me to post them for adoption? This will definitely break my heart, but I just want what is best for them. I love them so much.

Kee

High Velocity
Young Cat
Purraise
That sounds perfectly fine to me. As long as they're stimulated, have their own space, happy, have some social time with you and are taken care of, there's no problem. It sounds like a big room and is probably better than what most indoor cats experience :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sounds perfectly fine to me. As long as they're stimulated, have their own space, happy, have some social time with you and are taken care of, there's no problem. It sounds like a big room and is probably better than what most indoor cats experience :)
Thank you so much for reassuring me! The thought of rehoming them truly makes me sad. Also, this is not a permanent thing. I’m hoping to have my own place next year. For the meantime, I want my kittens to grow healthy and happy! I’m really doing my best to support them, but I read so many articles about keeping cats in a room is cruel.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that they are a lot luckier than a lot of cat out there who would love to be in a cat friendly, safe, large room.
Thank you so much for your thoughts. I’m really dedicated in giving these cats the best life possible given my circumstances.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m really doing my best to support them, but I read so many articles about keeping cats in a room is cruel.
Living in a single room is fine as long as there is plenty of space, particularly vertical space, and the cat is provided with food and water daily and a clean litter box and toys and there's a window to look out of and you visit often to play with the cat and :catlove: There have been members on TCS in the past who had to keep their cats confined to the bedroom because of a roommate / family situation or some other situation.

A 60 square meter room (about 645 square feet) and 7 windows is a good sized space for two cats, IMO. I live in 765 square feet with 2 cats and everyone is happy.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Living in a single room is fine as long as there is plenty of space, particularly vertical space, and the cat is provided with food and water daily and a clean litter box and toys and there's a window to look out of and you visit often to play with the cat and :catlove: There have been members on TCS in the past who had to keep their cats confined to the bedroom because of a roommate / family situation or some other situation.

A 60 square meter room (about 645 square feet) and 7 windows is a good sized space for two cats, IMO. I live in 765 square feet with 2 cats and everyone is happy.
Thank you! I’m planning to add more shelves for them to climb. But since they are still kittens, I only added window sills, and a couple of cat ladder and floating shelves for them to reach the windows. As they grow, I’m planning to add more vertical space for them. I’m playing with them two to three times a day about 30 minutes, and another 30 minutes for their meal and some cuddles. For some reason, they prefer to sleep on the floor or a box rather than a plush bed I bought for them. But they are really using the scratch post and scratch bed I bought for them. They sleep most of the time when I’m away, and they are slowly learning our routine.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The room is currently under construction to install new windows and add floating shelves. I will also add grass carpet. I will post photos soon!
3EC2D80B-BB0B-4747-9F23-819630B7B2C6.jpeg

5E44C12F-CD2C-4DFA-8092-43F30F3C9162.jpeg

E198E9D4-1360-4524-B4C5-971861932370.jpeg

The other two window under construction is on the other side facing our neighbor. We have not yet finished installing the cat super highway since they are still kittens. But I ordered more cat ladders like on the photo because my kittens really enjoyed them.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is a huge room and more than enough space! You have done a superb job for them. :clapcat:
Thank you so much! This warms my heart. We have ordered a huge grass carpet to cover half of the room. I’ll vacuum it everyday since I work from home and time spent with my cats is time well spent. I’ll also try to be creative and create new toys like cat maze or a cat tower post, to keep them stimulated.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For some reason, they prefer to sleep on the floor or a box rather than a plush bed I bought for them.

Typical cat :lol: You can spend tons of money on fancy pet toys, beds, etc only to find that the cat only likes an empty cardboard box or a laundry basket or something you already have in the home.

Your room looks great! I love the design on the windows. Will the room have heat and air conditioning to keep the cats comfortable?

Could you put in a catio in the yard and attach it the room somehow and allow the cats access via a cat door that could be closed if needed? Kittens are too young to be in a catio without supervision but it's something to consider when they are adults.

There are lots of ideas online on making cat rooms and pictures of what others have done with super highways, ramps, shelves, etc.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I’m planning to add more shelves for them to climb. But since they are still kittens, I only added window sills, and a couple of cat ladder and floating shelves for them to reach the windows. As they grow, I’m planning to add more vertical space for them. I’m playing with them two to three times a day about 30 minutes, and another 30 minutes for their meal and some cuddles. For some reason, they prefer to sleep on the floor or a box rather than a plush bed I bought for them. But they are really using the scratch post and scratch bed I bought for them. They sleep most of the time when I’m away, and they are slowly learning our routine.
My cat never had slept in any of the beds I bought for her. Her beds are the couch, my husband's desk chair, the window sill, or our bed. I even tried sitting on and sleeping on one for a month so it would smell like me, she still didn't care.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Typical cat :lol: You can spend tons of money on fancy pet toys, beds, etc only to find that the cat only likes an empty cardboard box or a laundry basket or something you already have in the home.

Your room looks great! I love the design on the windows. Will the room have heat and air conditioning to keep the cats comfortable?

Could you put in a catio in the yard and attach it the room somehow and allow the cats access via a cat door that could be closed if needed? Kittens are too young to be in a catio without supervision but it's something to consider when they are adults.

There are lots of ideas online on making cat rooms and pictures of what others have done with super highways, ramps, shelves, etc.
A catio is really on my list! Yes, yes! I want them to have free access to our yard via cat door. There I can plant cat grass for them to enjoy.

The room is well ventilated. I live in a tropical country so a heating unit is not needed. An air conditioning system is a great idea! We have couple of spare AC units we’re not using, and I could install those to keep the cats comfortable during the summer. During rainy days, temperatures is typically around 20 to 25°C.

When I have the budget, I’ll paint the room white to add more natural light. But now, I’m saving my money to get them sterilized (spay/neutered) very soon.

Thank you for all your responses. I appreciate it so much!

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat never had slept in any of the beds I bought for her. Her beds are the couch, my husband's desk chair, the window sill, or our bed. I even tried sitting on and sleeping on one for a month so it would smell like me, she still didn't care.
I got too excited buying plush beds so I can see them knead. 😹 But it turns out they knead when they are on my lap! They want to make biscuits out of me! Such cute kittens!

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! These are great ideas! Thank you so much. I’ll keep this in mind. Also, I’m planning to get my own place next year. In that case, I’ll get to design the apartment with my cats in mind. So these ideas will definitely help me! Thank you! I love this community.