Keeping Cat's Food Seperate

Tabs89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so just got a new cat with IBS that is on a special diet, but I also have a cat that eats normal food. I want to keep their food separate from each other, but my normal cat is picky and doesn't eat on a timer. I was going to get those Surepet microchip feeders that only open when a cat with the microchip registered to the feeder is nearby, but they are all out of stock. Any ideas, experience or other products that are similar to the microchip feeder you guys can think about?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so just got a new cat with IBS that is on a special diet, but I also have a cat that eats normal food. I want to keep their food separate from each other, but my normal cat is picky and doesn't eat on a timer. I was going to get those Surepet microchip feeders that only open when a cat with the microchip registered to the feeder is nearby, but they are all out of stock. Any ideas, experience or other products that are similar to the microchip feeder you guys can think about?
I was recommended those dishes here and at my dvm. I had purchased their door which did not work and which I returned.

Reviews of the dishes said they don’t work either and had problems. One, a cat can eat from the back or side unless you purchase an expensive part, two, the cover does not close fast enough when the assigned cat leaves and another cat can eat, three, an agressive over eater can push the other cat away and the cover doesn’t close. Also just general malfunctions with the chip which is what happened with the door for me.

So for my over eater I stand guard to make sure he does not eat the other cat’s food. I noticed that is Zena also being more aggressive with Merlin, the over eater, and eating his food now too. I put Zena on a counter a couple of times and he did eventually eat there but he didn't like it. So far it is ok at the moment and I am feeding everyone a bit less but M has not lost weight yet.
The best thing is to put the cat with special food on the counter if you can. Or feed them the same food.

If you do try those dishes get them from a store that will refund etc.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could the other cat be fed the same diet as the IBD cat? Or a food that wouldn't give the IBD cat a flare up if he gets into it? I have two cats, one of which has IBD. Both are fed commercial raw in rabbit (and different brands because cats :crazy:) so if the IBD cat eats the other cat's food he won't get a flare up. And since I feed raw which can't sit out all day like regular cat food, I do scheduled meal times and keep a close eye on the cats to make sure they eat from their own bowls.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 2 of the microchip feeders that I got around Christmas. I did need tech support on one and they were great about it!

The cover timer can be changed to make it faster or slower, and there have been people with creative methods of keeping cats out without the expensive covers.

They do have the connect model on their website, which I have 2 of. I'm glad I do because I can monitor how much and when my cats eat. It is more expensive though. I got mine at Christmas when they had 15% off on their website.

When I got them, I had to make sure they weren't eating each other's food. Delilah needs to lose weight, Fancy needed to gain weight. But then we went through allergy trials with Fancy. She can't eat the Fancy Feast with Delilah (Fancy can't eat chicken at this point), and Delilah can't eat what Fancy is eating because of the fish oils.