Keeping cat in small pen post surgery, advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara729

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a little while ago about my cat having chylothorax and he is having surgery for it tomorrow. It's quite extensive and he will have his chest cavity cut open so the recovery will be extremely important. The vet said it's best that he stay in an enclosed pen so he can't jump, play, or do anything else to possibly hurt himself for an entire 2 months while the chest cavity heals. I would feel so bad as he absolutely hates being in a carrier, I ordered a pen off Amazon that's more spacious than a carrier but still fairly small, and I'm worried about stressing him out after surgery if he feels trapped and can't get out. Has anyone else had to do with their cat post surgery?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing you can do really is to observe him and see how he reacts to being caged. Most cats HATE cones too, and I have never used them. My vet has never suggested them either. If he gets more and more stressed out, try a small room with nothing in it he can jump on, with a bed, litter box, food and water, etc. Sit with him as often as you can and look at your phone, reading aloud. Ask the vet if that would work. Many cats accept a cage better than a carrier because it is more spacious and they can see better. Most cats settle down after a couple of days. You could ask your vet about giving him some calming treats too.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the cage big enough for litter box, bed, food and water dish and a couple of stuffed toys to cuddle with? If so, that should be ok. What I would do is move it from room to room wherever you and/or your family are so he's not alone. If no one is home at times, play cat music for him to help calm him, as well the above mentioned calming treats. When cats break legs and have to get them put in casts (or whatever), they also require this type of arrangement for several weeks, so it's been done...often with kittens, who are very rambunctious. So it can be done.

Please keep us posted on his recovery.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a large wire dog crate for my kitties who need recovery time. It's large enough to include a bed, litter box and water bowl. I don't get a tall one because then it encourages them to crawl up and jump.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sara729

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really appreciate all the advice....unfortunately my cat did not survive the operation. I'm absolutely heartbroken at the moment, but I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. If I ever encounter this situation again with another cat, I will definitely remember the tips posted here. Thank you

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You tried to the utmost to help Riley face a very difficult diagnosis and I am so sorry for your loss. Despite this, I hope that the fact that you did as much as you could will bring you some comfort over time.

You are welcome to create a tribute to Riley in our Crossing the Bridge forum. Within a couple of days, this thread will be locked out of respect.
Crossing the Bridge

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sara729

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the kind words, I will post a tribute in the Crossing the Bridge forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.