Keeping Boys Apart After Neutering?

Livak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there everyone, first post so hopefully in the right forum.

We have had a male kitten, Shinobi, since eight weeks, he’s just coming up to 15 weeks now. Last weekend we got a rescue kitty of approx 5 or 6 months (Dodger, male, already neutered) . After a couple of days of Dodger growling at Shin’s incessant attempts at play, less than a week later they get on so well, constantly playing and then sleeping together. Dodger had a bad start in life so it’s lovely to see him kitten it up and Shin is a non stop playing machine so they’re tiring each other out.

Shinobi is getting neutered tomorrow (so worried about our bold smol) and I’m wondering how long to keep them apart? Their games can be rough and crazy (chasing, wrestling, tumbling) but Shin is more often the instigator so will he chill more when he’s sore? Dodger is more likely to start a game with a call and a paw while Shin will just leap while Dodger is grooming or playing with a toy.

Cones are generally not given to cats here so that won’t slow Shin down.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Typically, male neuters are not very invasive and don't require a whole lot of after care. Its been years since I've had a male cat neutered so I'm not 100% sure, but you shouldn't worry too much on it I don't believe.

For the first 24 hours I would worry most about maybe keeping them separated and keeping Shinobi quiet.

Obviously replace clay litter with newspaper, and watch for swelling. Also dont allow excessive licking.

Hopefully someone else chimes in on it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Livak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for reply, Linzee2018, I was only thinking there I’d have to buy a newspaper in the morning :) Plan to keep Shin apart and watch him for the first 24 hours for sure, and do some scent exchange before bringing the buddies back together. If they were mild mannered I don’t think I’d be as worried about the timeframe just they are such little tusslers :)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats are boys, and when they come home from neutering they are usually a bit woozy from medication.

If you do have a way to separate them when you aren't around to supervise that might be a good idea - like as long as you are around they should be ok to interact, just make sure that one cat isn't licking the other cats' scrotum which is where any incisions will be. If you aren't around, might be a good idea if you have a separate room to pop one of them in - healing from neutering doesn't take that long though, things can probably go back to normal after a week - check with your vet.