Keeping birds out of Feral Cats Food Bowls

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
You would think that in the cold weather we have right now the birds would be hunkered on their branches. But NO, they have to steal the feral cats food. I can't afford to feed them as well. Any ideas what I can do to keep the birds away from the feeders or am I doomed to feed all wildlife along with the birds. Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll read the article now. Ugh this would have to happen when I'm on crutches and it's 2 degrees outside

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have used step 3 and 6 and they have been effective. Depending on the number of cats you are feeding, the kennel idea is the simplest.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats but one will not even come into the yard if the other two are here. I have a very long thread about this situation in the feral forum of the 2 cats running off the one. But sadly I have tried all of those suggestions and not one of them work for me.

I tried all of those suggestions last summer when the weather was pleasant and I wasn't on crutches. #6 really does not work for me The birds ignore it. And I've seen them go one by one into the pet carrier to get food and come back.
:(

Last edited:

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used a decoy owl. I switched the direction it was looking everyday. It worked for the birds that I was having an issue with. Good luck with keeping them away. They can be PITA.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Birds just ignore the owl type thing. I've used decoys and all and the birds still come :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sitting here right now watching the birds walking into the pet carrier and taking off with bits of cat food. There goes that theory