Keeping apart old kitten and young kitten

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 6 month old kitten (weighs 9 lbs), and adopted an abandoned 6 week old kitten. The kitten, weighs 2 lbs, had eye conjunctivitis, and severe coccidia and tapeworms. The eyes have cleared, but I am continuing albon for worms, 0.5 ml daily. I have kept them apart, but today, left young kitten in carrier and the older kitten, hissing and growling. I will do this for couple more days, til the older kitten calms a bit. I am hesitant due to the weight difference. Am I being too protective?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don’t think you are being overprotective. The baby is still quite fragile and just not ready for the kind of play the older cat will want. I would keep them totally separated for at least another month, maybe longer depending on how the baby grows and then put them together if you can closely supervise interactions.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think you're being too protective, actually towards either of them. You want the young kitten to be a bit bigger, and healthy, before introducing it to the older kitten, to protect it from any rough play. But also to ensure your older kitten won't get sick from anything the younger kitten is recovering from. Thanks for rescuing the abandoned kitten. You likely saved it's life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 6 month old kitten (weighs 9 lbs), and adopted an abandoned 6 week old kitten. The kitten, weighs 2 lbs, had eye conjunctivitis, and severe coccidia and tapeworms. The eyes have cleared, but I am continuing albon for worms, 0.5 ml daily. I have kept them apart, but today, left young kitten in carrier and the older kitten, hissing and growling. I will do this for couple more days, til the older kitten calms a bit. I am hesitant due to the weight difference. Am I being too protective?
Thank you all! My neighbor, a cat guru...offered suggestion, which i tried yesterday. She helped me clip the 'teenagers" nails...then I put 'teenager' in carrier, and let kitten have free reign. The kitten ran circles around carrier, it was hilarious. After an hour plus, the kitten went back into his cave (master bathrm). I will keep you posted.

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Kifli now weighs 3 lbs. Cuki is 6 mos old, weighs 9 lbs. They seem to enjoy each others company, for an hour or so. Then, I put Kifli back into his cave.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like all's going well. Feel free to post a pic or two of them. We love pictures of cats, especially kittens. :catlove:

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Seems Kifli (kitten) is extremely timid. I supervise them closely, they are only together an hour a day. Cuki has been meowing and wanting to play, but kitten runs back into the carrier. Any suggestions?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your young kitten is still so tiny, and your older one is probably just at the age where it wants to play, play, play. When the younger one runs into the carrier, does it stay there, or come back out to play some more. If it stays there, then it's not enjoying the "play" and probably needs more time to get used to being around the older kitten.

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kifli stays in the carrier, then I bring him back to the master bathrm, which has been his sanctuary for weeks. I will try again tomorrow, and day after, etc. Tx for reply.

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kifli went vet today, for follow up distemper shot. Weighed only 3.25 lbs, still have coccidia, must keep dosing him with 8 ml albon daily. Back in 2 weeks for his rabies and neutering. I am quite disappointed about his weight, his appetite is voracious! He is getting used to my teenager cat, Cuki; I still supervise and let them play for couple hours, and then put Kifli back in bathrm to rest.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think when he is over the coccidia and he gets more of his calories... I think his energy and personality will come out more. When cats don't feel 100%, they act different.

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I have been feeding kitten ground up chicken breast and broth, every mid-day, and his strength and stamina is amazing. When I put them together, the teenager is surprised how spunky the kitten is. I still supplement kitten with kitten kibble, but will continue with the chicken for awhile. I am more reassured now. I allow them together time, for few hours a day. After that, the teenager gets tad rough and playful, so I put kitten in his 'bathroom cave'.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great news that you're seeing big improvements in the kitten. Little guy must be finally starting to feel better.

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, update: Yesterday, finally napping together! I feel comfortable that no blood will be shed, but I separate them when I am not home.

Attachments