Keeping an outside cat inside

clairew11453

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats seems to have an eye infection. I'm taking him to the vet on Monday, but he normally stays outside. Sometimes he comes in for an hour or two at a time, but I'm going to try keeping him in until Monday (for two nights) because he might spread it to one of my other cats or it could get dirty, which might make it worse. Also, I can't be sure he'll show up on Monday. I have a cat bed and I'm setting up a litter box. He might want out soon, so what should I do?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend either confining him to a single room. Or better yet, a crate or a portable dog play pen. Cats are comfortable with confined spaces especially when they’re in new spaces. He’ll feel safer in a crate or a play pen than he will having run of the whole inside.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clairew11453

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recommend either confining him to a single room. Or better yet, a crate or a portable dog play pen. Cats are comfortable with confined spaces especially when they’re in new spaces. He’ll feel safer in a crate or a play pen than he will having run of the whole inside.
I don't have a crate, so I'll keep him confined to one room.

clairew11453

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's already familiar with my house since he does come inside often, just never for more that 4 hours.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's already familiar with my house since he does come inside often, just never for more that 4 hours.
You can try him in the whole house if he seems comfortable. But if he gets restless or anxious, confinement might work better.

Also have a look into Music For Cats by David Teie, available on Apple Music or Spotify to calm him down.
EC5F5E75-C50C-416F-8C4D-9D2DDD0D8822.png

clairew11453

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can try him in the whole house if he seems comfortable. But if he gets restless or anxious, confinement might work better.

Also have a look into Music For Cats by David Teie, available on Apple Music or Spotify to calm him down.
View attachment 352492
Thank you so much! I'll definitely look into that.

clairew11453

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

View attachment 352492
I was pretty skeptical about the music, but I tried it with one of my other cats and they seemed to like it!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was pretty skeptical about the music, but I tried it with one of my other cats and they seemed to like it!
The guy who wrote/composed it researched it and tested it with cats. It’s not just repackaged classical music.

I have this as a daily alarm on my sound bar. Turn off the TV. Turn on the “cat rock.” Everyday at 9am. Krista spent many an afternoon sleeping against the sound bar.

I loaded this on an iPod that went in the carrier with Krista on every vet visit. I told the vets that she had a soundtrack. For the inpatient stays, which she had a few, I would attach the iPod to a USB power brick. Then each morning when I visited with her (before Covid), I swapped out the power brick for a freshly charged one. A vet tech whose dog does not do so well with overnight stays spent the night perfectly relaxed in the cage beneath Krista’s thanks to the “cat rock” according to the tech. Even dogs like it!

clairew11453

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The guy who wrote/composed it researched it and tested it with cats. It’s not just repackaged classical music.

I have this as a daily alarm on my sound bar. Turn off the TV. Turn on the “cat rock.” Everyday at 9am. Krista spent many an afternoon sleeping against the sound bar.

I loaded this on an iPod that went in the carrier with Krista on every vet visit. I told the vets that she had a soundtrack. For the inpatient stays, which she had a few, I would attach the iPod to a USB power brick. Then each morning when I visited with her (before Covid), I swapped out the power brick for a freshly charged one. A vet tech whose dog does not do so well with overnight stays spent the night perfectly relaxed in the cage beneath Krista’s thanks to the “cat rock” according to the tech. Even dogs like it!
That's so cool! I'll definitely be saving it to use in the future.