Keeping A Cat Safe (opinions Please)

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wanted to post in case someone has thoughts or suggestions i might be missing.

I'm living with family right now. When I first got my cat (an adult). I had a policy that she stayed in my room and wasn't in the living room without me. This was after an incident where family left pills on the counter and kitty was playing with them on the floor. She had them in her mouth. If she would have eaten even a portion it would have killed her.

So recently it seemed like we got to a nice arrangement. I thought it would be safe to let her enjoy the windows. I was wrong. They have a dog and they both get along (dog and cat). The issue is the dogs been sick. So normally always hungry dog seems nauseas and isn't eating first thing in the morning like it used to. They tried feeding the dog it's heart guard plus. They didn't wait and watch to see if the dog ate it.

I came home exhausted from a dr appointment. I'm dealing with health issues. I took kitty and we napped. After a nap in my room I decided to stay out with her in the living room. I've been getting lax about letting her enjoy the windows without me in the room. I hear what sounded like her eating (I never wear headphones because she has sometimes gotten unto things). There was a heart guard plus she was trying to eat I had to pry out of her mouth. Luckily the meds in it are safe for cats (there's still the rare reaction you have to watch for). I still had to watch for reactions plus she's allergic to chicken and turkey and it was a wait and see if I would have to run to the vet.

I've got a decent in suite room with a cat tree, toys and custom window perch. My cats an emotional support cat to me. I would be a wreck if she got hurt or killed. So the questions are is it more reasonable for me to just take her out only when I'm sitting with her. I would swifter the floor quickly before hand to make sure no meds are on the floor. I go back to, if I lay down she goes with me. If I go somewhere she goes with into my room.

I don't feel discussing this with them will help. We've done that before and it doesn't work. Just to expand yes they take medication and dropped it. The dog was eating it. Luckily it was just for stomach acid and not high blood pressure. We've discussed this and a couple other things but they no longer adhere to all of them. I know I might sound like a neurotic kitty mom but yesterday could have killed her if it was something else. This is really stressful on me too and can make me sick. I know a light swifter before letting her go into the living room with me may seem excessive but it would be fairly simple and help avoid accidental pill ingestion.

I thought I’d see if anyone else had suggestions.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Making sure she cannot ingest any dog or human meds or pills is absolutely the responsible and right thing to do. :hugs: And I sure don't feel that pre-checking the living room floor or surfaces for loose meds or harmful objects is excessive (whether by swiffering or just a good visual once-over). I would just make it a point to be with her in the other room(s) anyway, though, even if you have just swiffered.
:rock:

Hope you will be feeling better soon! :alright:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Swiffering is a good idea, too, but the other side of the coin is that your family and the dog aren't getting the medicine they are supposed to be taking if the pills get dropped before being popped in their mouths. Have you tried talking to them about this? If they spill pills on the counter and don't gather them back up, then that's just plain sloppy. I think you should take a stronger stand with your family about this for their own well-being.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think Swiffering is a good idea, too, but the other side of the coin is that your family and the dog aren't getting the medicine they are supposed to be taking if the pills get dropped before being popped in their mouths. Have you tried talking to them about this? If they spill pills on the counter and don't gather them back up, then that's just plain sloppy. I think you should take a stronger stand with your family about this for their own well-being.
I have but it doesn’t get me anywhere. I’m working on getting healthier and moving. They understand dropping a pill could kill the dog too. The dog eats anything. If I’m there I crawl and find it. My concern is when I’m not. I’ve tried explaining it only takes once. I’m in no way saying you don’t make sense. It’s difficult to explain i can tell them in 10 different ways and explain. Then in a week when they are busy they disregard saying they forgot. They get busy and in a mood and don’t care. They’ve always been this way. I could show a slide presentation and that wouldn’t work either. I used to train employees and they’re horribly frustrating.

I have my own fridge. I cant even convince them if their fridge is raising temp to 42 sometimes 44 and that’s bad.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. It's very frustrating when you are pouring your heart out and they aren't listening.

Have you considered moving out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. It's very frustrating when you are pouring your heart out and they aren't listening.

Have you considered moving out?
Yes! I’m doing new treatment. Things should get better so I move out. Do I want to move out? Yes! I miss being alone with my cat. While it serves it’s purpose right now it’s not a staying till I die thing.