Keep treating or is it the end?

Sio123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. We took our 7 year old cat to the vet yesterday because she had been run down and sleeping a lot for a couple of days. Vet said she has a high temp and is dehydrated so kept her in for a drip and blood tests and started her on antibiotics then home at night. Back in again this morning for more fluids and antibiotics. Her liver is very damaged and her temp is still high and her breathing is laboured now. They don't know what's causing it, could be bacterial or could be something else. She might not recover
Vet has just called and said she is likely to need at least a few more days hospitalised before she could tolerate oral medication if she improves or we can put her to sleep. I don't know what to do. If she's going to improve then it's cruel to put her to sleep but at £100 a day plus any other costs it's really expensive but also if she isn't going to recover then it's cruel to keep her alive just now. Can anyone help?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Only you can make that call, but if it were me I would give her a chance for recovery. That is based on the fact that the vet must feel there is chance to help her or they wouldn't have suggested keeping her and trying to improve her condition. I trust my vet and know they wouldn't suggest such a thing if they didn't think it was possible. If you do choose to go this route, just make sure they can keep her comfortable and free from as much pain as possible.

So sorry this has happened to you and your girl.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Krista started last year on IV fluids and antibiotics for her liver and gallbladder. She also had teeth issues, IBD, and an ear infection with a ruptured eardrum. Her hospital stay was ten days.

She's still with me. She's struggling a little with her IBD lately. But she still shows no signs of wanting to give up.

Cats are resilient. If yours wants to keep going, I think you should honor that as best as you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sio123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately after bringing her home this evening she passed away within about 45 mins. When we collected her she was struggling with her breathing but the vet nurse still booked her in for tomorrow for more fluids and antibiotics which I'm surprised at because as soon as I saw her I knew she wasn't going to make it. At least she died at home and our kids got to say their goodbyes. Most importantly she isn't suffering anymore

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw, sad to read this

So sorry for your loss. As you say at least she was at home and with her people.

RIP kitty xx

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. You did everything that you could and I hope that there is some comfort in that.