Keep Cats Away From Toxic Chemical Permethrin

rascalshadownj2

RascalShadowGidget2
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was looking for an article on the National Public Radio website the other day, and happened to see this article about this toxic chemical Permethrin. It's used in keeping ticks off your clothes and it keeps them from biting their victim. The article stated that if you spray this on your clothes, don't get close to your cat or cats. It could cause some serious problems like tremors and/or seizures and in the worse case scenarios Death. That sounded really bad. I think it's also used to keep ticks off of dogs, and they stated that people should NOT use this on cats. Here is a link to the article. There were some other links in the article about that chemical. Just thought I would pass this along. I don't use anything except sunscreen when I go outdoors. I tend to get mosquito bites so sometimes I just wear long sleeved shirts when I go outside. Anyway, be careful what you spray on your clothes and your dogs. Make sure the spray doesn't have this chemical in the spray. ;)

If You Spray Your Clothes With Permethrin, Be Careful Around The Cat

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:eek: The RiteAid clerk was telling me to use pymetherin around the cat dishes to keep the ants off :argh: I have been using mouthwash on a plate with the food dish on that but I am going to try vodka next. Water doesn"t work because ants just close there spiracles; they can survive submerged for over 24 hours. They have overcome the diatomaceous earth, the ant baits, the cinnamon, the citrus, the salt, the cornstarch. The mouthwash keeps them away and the cats dont seem to mind but I got a better deal on the vodka. I will have to be careful not to get an "open container" violation :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rascalshadownj2

RascalShadowGidget2
Adult Cat
Purraise
:eek: The RiteAid clerk was telling me to use pymetherin around the cat dishes to keep the ants off :argh: I have been using mouthwash on a plate with the food dish on that but I am going to try vodka next. Water doesn"t work because ants just close there spiracles; they can survive submerged for over 24 hours. They have overcome the diatomaceous earth, the ant baits, the cinnamon, the citrus, the salt, the cornstarch. The mouthwash keeps them away and the cats dont seem to mind but I got a better deal on the vodka. I will have to be careful not to get an "open container" violation :lol:

Hey catsknowme,

Just found this article where they talk about the difference between Pymetherin, and Permethrin. This was really interesting. The article said that Permethrin was more toxic and produced in a laboratory, whereas, Pyrethrum is a natural product and is organic in nature and not as toxic. It's still toxic but not as toxic as Permethrin. But I still wouldn't use either one around the cats. ;) That's a good idea using vodka to get rid of the ants, and also mouthwash too. At least those aren't toxic and they won't hurt your cats.

Here is a link to that article.

Permethrin insecticides vs pyrethrum sprays. What’s the Difference?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rascalshadownj2

RascalShadowGidget2
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's very true. Alcohol is Very toxic to cats And dogs. I found an article about this on a pet site. It was posted in 2014 but I'm sure it still applies today. ;) Here is a link to the article. I think as long as the cats don't drink the vodka they will be OK.

How Harmful Is Alcohol To Dogs and Cats?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are definitely right about the toxicity. The plastic plates that I put the vodka in are not much larger than the food dishes; it would be difficult for the cats to reach the alcohol. The dishes are put into specially made wooden boxes that keep out rain and water from the sprinkling system - it is kind of a hassle to reach down & under but it works best for the cats. These cats are very blessed to live along a tree-lined, fenced off creek; they are protected from attack by large predators. The man who makes the feeding boxes also designed their condos with multiple small & angled entrances that raccoons cannot enter.