Keep Cat Away From Dog Door

Khagerma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, so up until early December I had 2 cats (one 12 one 11) and 2 dogs (border collie and pointer). My 12 year old cat, George, unfortunately died of kidney disease in December. He was my best friend, so when the opportunity arose to adopt a 4 month old kitten who looked just like him I had to. This kitten (Oliver) is starting to express interest in the dog door. I do NOT want him going out (my parents let the other 2 cats outside, but I made them promise not to let Oliver out). Our dog door is in the window with stairs on the inside and outside (this is so it’s more permanent than having it in the door). I’ve seen him start to venture up the stairs and I make a loud noise to scare him but it’s only a matter of time before he goes out. If he does my dogs will hear and will chase him, and I’m scared he’ll jump the fence and get lost. My parents refuse to get rid of the dog door. I considered an indoor invisible fence but I do not want to shock him and couldn’t find any noise/vibrating ones. I can’t afford to buy an electronic dog door (besides my border collie is very skittish and that will likely scare him away from using it anyways). I researched an ultrasonic motion activated deterrent, as some people said it won’t affect my dogs but will affect Oliver, I ordered one so we’ll see. If that doesn’t work, do you guys have any other suggestions? I also considered getting a spray that cats don’t like but doesn’t bother dogs, but I couldn’t find anything like that. Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Attachments

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I think the most effective is an electronic doggie door but since you already mentioned above you may also opt with putting magnets at the bottom of the flap. The dog, being bigger and heavier, may be able to push through it, but not the cat. But this is not guaranteed. As sooner your cat may become stronger and can be able to also push its way through the door.

You can also try a scat mat. This is somewhat similar to an invincible fence though. However, this could also keep the dogs away from the door, hindering them going out and do their "thing" when needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Khagerma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I think the most effective is an electronic doggie door but since you already mentioned above you may also opt with putting magnets at the bottom of the flap. The dog, being bigger and heavier, may be able to push through it, but not the cat. But this is not guaranteed. As sooner your cat may become stronger and can be able to also push its way through the door.

You can also try a scat mat. This is somewhat similar to an invincible fence though. However, this could also keep the dogs away from the door, hindering them going out and do their "thing" when needed.
I forgot to mention I tried magnets but to me it didn’t seem like it weighed it down enough. I could push it open with just my pointer finger. Maybe I could try straight up gluing weights to it?

Khagerma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, so up until early December I had 2 cats (one 12 one 11) and 2 dogs (border collie and pointer). My 12 year old cat, George, unfortunately died of kidney disease in December. He was my best friend, so when the opportunity arose to adopt a 4 month old kitten who looked just like him I had to. This kitten (Oliver) is starting to express interest in the dog door. I do NOT want him going out (my parents let the other 2 cats outside, but I made them promise not to let Oliver out). Our dog door is in the window with stairs on the inside and outside (this is so it’s more permanent than having it in the door). I’ve seen him start to venture up the stairs and I make a loud noise to scare him but it’s only a matter of time before he goes out. If he does my dogs will hear and will chase him, and I’m scared he’ll jump the fence and get lost. My parents refuse to get rid of the dog door. I considered an indoor invisible fence but I do not want to shock him and couldn’t find any noise/vibrating ones. I can’t afford to buy an electronic dog door (besides my border collie is very skittish and that will likely scare him away from using it anyways). I researched an ultrasonic motion activated deterrent, as some people said it won’t affect my dogs but will affect Oliver, I ordered one so we’ll see. If that doesn’t work, do you guys have any other suggestions? I also considered getting a spray that cats don’t like but doesn’t bother dogs, but I couldn’t find anything like that. Thank you so much in advance for your help!
Also if anyone has suggestions on how I can train him to avoid it (I likely think scaring him would be the only way but I’m not well versed in cat behavior) I’m willing to put in the time to train him to stay away.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry but ... I do not think that there is a reliable way to prevent a cat to get out of a dog door ... cats are faster than dogs and once learned can run between the dogs legs and are out faster than the dog realizes that he was holding the door to the feline lol ... My cats can open drawers and cabinets even with child locks, move some heavier items of furniture if they really want to get behind and they get out doors if they have their mind made up... Any deterrent usually affects both dogs and cats . If you are leaving your cat alone with a dog door ... maybe consider a cat safe room for the cat during your absence that has no access to the dog door. Our cats are " upstairs cats only for this reason and separated from the dog area downstairs ... there are a few options for cat gates that work ( I posted a wire shelving separator with shelf liner on one side in the forum a few years ago that works well around stairs for us ...

Khagerma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry but ... I do not think that there is a reliable way to prevent a cat to get out of a dog door ... cats are faster than dogs and once learned can run between the dogs legs and are out faster than the dog realizes that he was holding the door to the feline lol ... My cats can open drawers and cabinets even with child locks, move some heavier items of furniture if they really want to get behind and they get out doors if they have their mind made up... Any deterrent usually affects both dogs and cats . If you are leaving your cat alone with a dog door ... maybe consider a cat safe room for the cat during your absence that has no access to the dog door. Our cats are " upstairs cats only for this reason and separated from the dog area downstairs ... there are a few options for cat gates that work ( I posted a wire shelving separator with shelf liner on one side in the forum a few years ago that works well around stairs for us ...
I might do that. Lock him up when we’re gone and just hope he doesn’t use it when we’re home. I might sit in that room for a few hours and see if I can keep scaring him away from it. I did that with my turtle tank because he kept jumping at the glass and it seems to have worked.