Keep an eye out for ingrediant changes

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope I am wrong but usually once a food hits the commercial on your TV the price goes even higher and the quality of ingredients goes down...

I just got Wellness s newsletter with a link to the commercial.. This does not make me happy

2coolcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder when the commercials started? I know I saw a few weeks ago. I'm stockpiling them right now, hope things stay the same or get better

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw about the commercial in the newsletter too, but I wasn't aware that that often leads to lower quality.. (high price, yeah i could see that happening..
)

Thanks for the info though, I will buy a bunch of cans and then hope Wellness won't change..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen Wellness and Blue commercials occasionally for a few months now (I tend avoid commercials, so I'm sure they're shown more than I see them). I know they're likely shown on Animal Planet if they're advertised on the other Discovery channels.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh! Don't tell me that! I JUST got Parker eating all Wellness! I'm gonna cry if I have to change his food again! haha

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

I find this fascinating, why would a TV commercial raise a foods price & lower it's quality of ingredients?
It's just like everything else. Commercial = getting their name out = increase in sales. Increase in sales means there needs to be more product made and in order to save money and make more they cut the ingredients.

Think about anything you've bought in the last few years and went "They used to make these better".

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It's just like everything else. Commercial = getting their name out = increase in sales. Increase in sales means there needs to be more product made and in order to save money and make more they cut the ingredients.

Think about anything you've bought in the last few years and went "They used to make these better".

It can also mean some giant corporation is getting ready to buy them out. High quality pet food has become big business since the melamine recalls. Now all the biggies want a piece of the action.

<Big sigh>.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw the commercial the other day. I've never seen a cat food commercial for anything other than things like Cat Chow. Wellness is already SOOO expensive (part of the reason I don't use it, otherwise I would), I'm disappointed that it will go up even further.

2coolcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone know anything about Berwind Corporation? They are the company that purchased Wellness in 2008. They were originally in the coal business and don't seem to have any connection to pet food. I wonder how involved they are into the day to day operation?

I overlooked some differences I had with Wellness's previous president and political contributions he made...this company though is really starting to make me nervous. All signs point that they are out for the bottom dollar.

*sigh* I just used some coupons on 30% off 13oz cans so paid .89 per can. I'm going to start looking around though for alternatives...

I became curious after wellness retweeted this article (which is overly broad at best) on twitter and agreed with it http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...107946584.html

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two years ago eh? That sounds about right. Meaning, the new batches of Wellness I just purchased are being rejected by two cats, one of who is not in the least bit finicky.

My opinion is that they have begun using inferior (cheaper) ingredients. My cats know.

I brought them back. The corporation needs to know that cats can tell the difference. $1.15 for a 3 oz can, that cats suddenly won't eat. Sure gets my suspicions up.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked a bad time to change to Wellness then, it seems. What other GOOD brands have a nice grain-free line? I didn't really look around last time I was there...but I don't want to keep him on this stuff if theres a good chance the quality is going down. Just my luck :p

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuvMyParker

I picked a bad time to change to Wellness then, it seems. What other GOOD brands have a nice grain-free line? I didn't really look around last time I was there...but I don't want to keep him on this stuff if theres a good chance the quality is going down. Just my luck :p
Not a complete list but may help

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ght=Grain+free

fulpmes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Two years ago eh? That sounds about right. Meaning, the new batches of Wellness I just purchased are being rejected by two cats, one of who is not in the least bit finicky.

My opinion is that they have begun using inferior (cheaper) ingredients. My cats know.

I brought them back. The corporation needs to know that cats can tell the difference. $1.15 for a 3 oz can, that cats suddenly won't eat. Sure gets my suspicions up.
Interesting. Mine started rejecting Wellness a few months ago, too, after eating it peaceably for a long time. I thought they'd just gotten sick of it and needed a break, but maybe not.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sent this to two friends one got back saying hers are not nearly as much in love with it as they were. I fed this to my cats YEARS ago. It had just started to come out in my area. I changed back due to couldn't get enough food in to stay on it(pet store had no good practices of not ordering in special orders in timely fashion or ordering in extra and selling it to others...)