K9 natural

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone info on how good k9natural food is. It is fairly new? Also Hound and Gato. Thanks

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We bought K9 (freeze dried) and Hound & Gatos. Cats would not eat either one. We liked the ingredients.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats love Feline Natural chicken/lamb in both the canned and freeze-dried forms. They're not big on most Hound & Gatos, though they like the lamb.

Both foods are pates; the Hound & Gatos is smoother. Both are good foods, though I think Hound & Gatos has too many gums in it. I can't say for sure, of course, but I suspect it's the consistency, which is firm and, hmm, molded, that our cats don't like.

Another good pate is Rawz, which is also a new food. We feed only the chicken and turkey but there are other flavors, too. Our cats love it. It's online here and it's fairly reasonably priced. (The only thing I have against Feline Natural is that it's expensive!)

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love the chicken/venison. IMO Feline Naturals canned line is the best canned food available right now. Their canned line is new. I just ordered some from Amazon (which just recently started carrying it) and they sent me a case of the lamb/salmon on accident. I'll probably keep it to try it out. I also ordered the beef/hoki but we'll see if they actually send me the right thing when i get it lol 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks.

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for you input. I saw that k9 naturals canned has lamb blood in it? What do know about that. I am going to try hound and gato for now and will also look up the new food RAWZ, never hard of that. My cats all of a sudden snubbed core wellness chicken, chicken liver and I am glad it had carrengeen, sodium selenium and copper sulfate in it. Did you look at Truthabout pet foods Susan Thixton 2017 list. I know she is all organic but the other list of what she won't feed her pets is daunting, so many supplements and minerals that are not good for our cats in these pet foods, even wild calling and evangers products. It's scary

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input. What do you think of the blood content in the canned foods of k9 naturals ?

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input. What do you think of the blood content in the canned foods of k9 naturals ?
It's good. Meat naturally has blood in it, and those juices have important nutrients in them. I have seen the Susan's food list. I like Susan's work for pet food reform but I don't think she's that well versed in cat nutrition so I don't really take her suggestions for cat food that seriously. 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In case this helps anyone else - I got both the lamb/salmon and beef/hoki (lamb/salmon was sent to me by accident). My cats really liked both. Both have a different texture than the venison/chicken, must less watery but still very soft mushy consistency. Both the lamb/salmon and the beef/hoki are much higher in calories than the chicken/venison.  

kimberlyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm thinking of changing my cats' to Feline Naturals. Are your cats liking the flavour of FN ? And is there one flavour in particular that they prefer ?

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of changing my cats' to Feline Naturals. Are your cats liking the flavour of FN ? And is there one flavour in particular that they prefer ?
My cats like them all. I think the chicken/venison is probably the best, but it's not super calorie dense, so you may want to supplement with other flavors or another brand as well. There are two fish flavored ones, but hoki fish out of NZ is known for being very low in toxins and they have very strict testing and practices, so I feel ok feeding those ones too, just not exclusively. 

kimberlyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks ! I will pick up a variety of flavours today [emoji]128570[/emoji].
I just briefly checked out your blog. Your fluffy, black cat looks like my cat's twin [emoji]128149[/emoji].
Thanks again !

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks ! I will pick up a variety of flavours today [emoji]128570[/emoji].
I just briefly checked out your blog. Your fluffy, black cat looks like my cat's twin [emoji]128149[/emoji].
Thanks again !
His name is actually Fluff
  He's my #1 He doesn't like any canned food, ever, but he likes the FN chicken and venison

My poor blog really needs to be updated, but you know, life. 

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using Feline Natural's canned chicken and vension for about a month now, my cats love it. The meat is human grade, sourced in New Zealand, and the food frequently tested - high quality control. No fillers and gum free.

I tried Hound & Gatos a while back, my cats didn't care for it. I don't like all the gums HG uses either, however, the meat is human grade.

I also tried FN's freeze dried chicken/venison, the cats liked it as well.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats love Feline Natural chicken/lamb in both the canned and freeze-dried forms. They're not big on most Hound & Gatos, though they like the lamb.

Both foods are pates; the Hound & Gatos is smoother. Both are good foods, though I think Hound & Gatos has too many gums in it. I can't say for sure, of course, but I suspect it's the consistency, which is firm and, hmm, molded, that our cats don't like.

Another good pate is Rawz, which is also a new food. We feed only the chicken and turkey but there are other flavors, too. Our cats love it. It's online here and it's fairly reasonably priced. (The only thing I have against Feline Natural is that it's expensive!)
I was able to get FN from our distributor (indy store where I work) for about $10 less (case) than what Chewy is offering. Not sure if you are getting FN from Chewy, if not, it might be worth seeing if your local indy pet supply store can get it cheaper. Sometimes stores have more than one distributor, hence different prices.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was able to get FN from our distributor (indy store where I work) for about $10 less (case) than what Chewy is offering. Not sure if you are getting FN from Chewy, if not, it might be worth seeing if your local indy pet supply store can get it cheaper. Sometimes stores have more than one distributor, hence different prices.
It seems like FN is controlling the price via Chewy (and Amazon). At least they claim online the price is high because of importing etc. 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do buy from a small pet supply store (a store that's more of a dog wash... but they're great about ordering cat food for me) and the price there is considerably cheaper than Chewy's, too, particularly if I buy a lot! They generally give me very good prices: I place a huge order with them every two or three months. I think FN is the most expensive canned food that I buy but it's very good stuff and the cats love it.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do buy from a small pet supply store (a store that's more of a dog wash... but they're great about ordering cat food for me) and the price there is considerably cheaper than Chewy's, too, particularly if I buy a lot! They generally give me very good prices: I place a huge order with them every two or three months. I think FN is the most expensive canned food that I buy but it's very good stuff and the cats love it.
Great, I'm glad you're getting a good price! I was surprised that our store could sell Feline Natural for the same price of what Weruva's Truluxe is selling for, the 6oz cans for $2.60. FN is cheaper than Tiki Cats' Gourmet Carnivore line, as well as their Succulent Chicken and Chicken / Egg, 6 oz which is priced at $3.50 each. And definitely lower than Ziwi Peak, which we actually discontinued because of the high price point and TSPP which I refused to recommend.
My cats are loving FN's chick/venison, including their FD raw.
FN canned is definitely the best that is out there as far as canned food, there is nothing better than FN, IMO.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, @LisaMarie12, the price isn't too bad, though it is my most expensive food: $1.61 per small can of Feline Natural with the case discount. Tiki small cans are $1.58 with the discount, though of course they're .2 ounce less so maybe they're most expensive! 
(It's too early to whip out the calculator...)

And I couldn't agree more about Feline Natural being the best! (Even a few months ago I would have put it on the same level as Tiki but their foods just don't look the same and I'm getting the sense the cats don't like them as much...) I'm very glad the cats like the FN freeze-dried: we had another bag of Primal that was too gunky (I always think it's too much of that @#*$& clay, though have no idea if that theory could be true!) that I'm going to have to return because the cats just don't like it and won't finish their food with it, even when it's only a small part of the meal. Even Edwina who will eat anything. In vast quantities.

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It seems like FN is controlling the price via Chewy (and Amazon). At least they claim online the price is high because of importing etc. 
My friend is in New Zealand right now. She checked the prices there and they are actually pretty comparable. $60.24 for a case of 24 cans (85 g) in NZ dollars. Converted here, I would only save about $3. They also have taxes. Unfortunately, I don't think its the shipping. It's just a pricier brand.

The 6oz cans come out to $3.41 per can in NZ bucks. I guess some of the ones I have paid for were more than that. Still, it seems like pet food is so expensive these days.