K9 Advantix for dog, in household with cats?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this really safe? I asked my vet what product she recommended for my dog since I am out of flea/tick prevention, and she said K9 Advantix. I told her I was worried about using it since some of my cats occasionally will lick Bianca(my dog) and she said it is safe once it dries, so for example I could put it on at night and it would be safe in the morning; as long as they don't have direct contact with the wet area it is ok.
Anyone know about that, is that correct?

The thing I liked about the K9 Advantix was it repels ticks, mosquitoes and biting flies (the other products kills ticks but don't repel them or do anything for mosquitoes/flies.) However the only time I have used it in the past was when I was taking my dog on vacation for a week so I knew she would have no contact with the cats, because I'd heard some horror stories about it with cats, but if it is safe once it dries I might reconsider as I do like the repelling action. If not I will find something else and maybe just use it when we leave for our vacation again since we're going to Wisconsin where there are lots of mosquitoes and flies(and again, no contact with the cats for a week.)

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
does K9 Advantix have a phone number for you to call and question them? They would know best with their own products

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the info I have read has said HIGHLY toxic and that using in the house can cause death to cats. I personally would not use it even if I was told it was just till it drys. The receptionist at my vet works pt at another and had told me of cats brought in who had been exposed from the dog and needed treatment-some worse then others(3 I think) Good for a dog only household

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm going to move this to the Cats & Other animals forum for you.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NO! I would not use Advantix in a household with cats. No way not ever, don't do it. A cat just brushing up against a dog who has recently been treated with Advantix can kill kitty.

It's just not worth it. There are other safer for cats products you can use on dogs.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't use it in a household of cats either. I don't need to use flea treatment on my cats because the Frontline I use on my dogs also kills the fleas in the bedding around my house (they all share). So that tells me that the chemical is not only on the dog, but on their bedding. And some of my cats snuggle with the dogs.

It's not worth the risk (IMHO).