K&H heating pad cord very short ...

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought a heating pad for my feral cat, who lost both her siblings this past year, so I know she is going through tough times. It's getting cold out now, down to the low 40s or more.

I was surprised to see the cord was only five feet long. That is not really long enough to reach where she likes to sit under the porch tent. And the box says, no extension cord.

It seems choices are 1) return purchase 2) use extension cord (not sure, is this safe?) 3) buy a cathouse that sits closer to the house itself, not as protected as where she sits. Unless I can find a small house and stick it on top of an old Red Ryder wagon. Hopefully not too expensive.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do use an extension cord with my K and H pad. When I purchased it on Amazon I was concerned about the extension cord business so read some questions. One reviewer who seemed to know electrics said that you could safely run it off of a 1000 foot cord as it is low voltage. Having said that, most appliances including microwaves and refrigerators can be run from extension cords providing you buy the right one. I have had no issues with the use of an extension cord.

Cat house is a good idea as well and you can make them out of big Samsonite type plastic containers if you want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
H pad. When I purchased it on Amazon I was concerned about the extension cord business so read some questions. One reviewer who seemed to know electrics said that you could safely run it off of a 1000 foot cord as it is low voltage. Having said that, most appliances including microwaves and refrigerators can be run from extension cords providing you buy the right one. I have had no issues with the use of an extension cord.

Cat house is a good idea as well and you can make them out

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like a big orange cord? ty!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used extension cords too. I just made sure they were heavy duty outside approved. I used them outside for 7 years without a problem. Just be sure they are not exposed to any rain/snow. They need to be under a porch, shelter or something to keep any wetness away.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd make sure to get a conduit to wrap those cords in as well. Trust me, even if protected from rain, you'll want to protect the cords from other critters like raccoons who I know from first hand love to chew on cords.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well therein lies the problem. The porch is a few feet away from the outlet thus some exposure to the elements. May have to buy a cat condo... hopefully small inexpensive one that doesn't look "inexpensive" on my porch and deck.

What about battery operated Christmas light strings? I have some I turn on when i use my hot tub? Crazy or not? I could line a kitty house with this.

Or the cat pad you put in the microwave? I forget the name... but someone said they last for a long time.

thanks everyone <<< hearts >>> from me and sweet kitty

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The outlet I used to plug my extension cords into was not under shelter. It was on the side of the house. Yet it was an outdoor approved outlet. I meant that just be sure that the heat pad does not get wet. Keep the part where you plug the heat pad into the extension cord dry. The other end will be fine as long as you are using an outdoor approved outlet.

The other heat pads are called Snuggle Safe. I found them to be ok in late fall and early spring. Yet in Ohio winters they did not keep the space warm enough for long.

You can do a google search on cheap shelters. I used to buy a sterlite box. I cut an entrance and exit hole and lined the inside with Reflectix insulation. You can find it at Home Depot. I then put the heat pad in the bottom. I had to cut a small hole in the back lower corner for the plug to get out. You can see pictures of these on my blog. I called them Magic Boxes! Shelters

I also made the shelter more rain proof by putting the Magic box inside a larger rubbermaid and using the lids as a roof. Here is a picture. I also put one of the shelters into an extra feeding station my husband had made.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have Snuggle Safe discs as well and they are fine out here in So Cal, even when it is cold (by our standards). I don't know about heavier cold though. BTW K and H makes something called a Microwaveable Warmer. Don't bother. It does not stay warm even out here and hardens into whatever shape it dries in, so it is like a jagged rock after it cools.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well thanks everyone! I located an orange extension cord. I will have a water cover installed over the outlet, and also a "connection cord cover between the two where they connect. Plus something to lay on the deck so people won't trip over it and hopefully deter animals..... Sound like a plan? (PS) this will also ensure that it rains in Northern CA! alot.

< hearts >