Just When I thought Nothing Could Surprise Me, I Read This....

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my family first moved here, 25 years ago, the town ladies were super into a particular MLM, and were obsessed about "parasites". Like that is ALL they talked about. But at least they were just trying to sell their overpriced nonsense rather than encouraging people to drink turpentine!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my family first moved here, 25 years ago, the town ladies were super into a particular MLM, and were obsessed about "parasites". Like that is ALL they talked about. But at least they were just trying to sell their overpriced nonsense rather than encouraging people to drink turpentine!
MLM???

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Multi-level marketing. Pyramid scheme. Mannatech, Norwex, Herbalife, Pampered Chef, etc. They're all the rage with small-town women (and maybe in cities, too, idk). The way it ends up is that they're just buying from each other and there's no net gain, but hey.

The way those ladies talked about parasites, I'm pretty sure that company was sneaking those shrinky plastic critters into their pills. Because I don't think there's anything that matches those descriptions that lives inside you.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Multi-level marketing. Pyramid scheme. Mannatech, Norwex, Herbalife, Pampered Chef, etc. They're all the rage with small-town women (and maybe in cities, too, idk). The way it ends up is that they're just buying from each other and there's no net gain, but hey.
Oh, okay.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Multi-level marketing. Pyramid scheme.
Actually, they're not the same. An MLM just sells products at a super high rate where a pyramid scheme recruits people and money so that the person can sell a product also.
(I know I didn't word that quite right, but I've only had half a cup of coffee)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never known of an MLM that doesn't have you recruit your friends to sell for them also. That's what makes it "multi-level".
I'm sure you're right. Legally they are not the same, but let's face it, in actuality, they are.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate those party-plan companies. They have a captive audience and you feel obligated to buy something even if you don't need or want it. I have routinely turned down invitations, although once I passed 40, there didn't seem to be so many of them. Maybe it's a young person thing.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The people we bought our house from ~40 years ago told us they had been involved in Amway. When a new neighbor had moved into the neighborhood this woman had thrown her a "welcoming" party that was really an Amway pitch in disguise, and the new neighbor had never forgiven her. She was deeply regretful.
I've also seen reports that the algorithms FB uses to weed out anti-vax posts are sometimes "catching" and banning posts by legitimate health care providers debunking anti-vaxing. In my opinion FB doesn't give a rat's @$$ about protecting privacy, restricting ads that include deliberate lies, or protecting public health. They've made it quite plain that the only thing they care about is their own bottom line, and the only policy changes they'll make are the ones they're forced into, kicking and screaming all the way.

Ask yourself - If someone on this site posted a picture of cat poop and asked for a diagnosis of possible parasites, what would be the response? I can tell you, because I've seen it. "We can't diagnose anything; it's against site policy and even if it weren't a mere picture isn't enough." And if anyone here responded to a query about feline parasites by recommending that you force your cat to drink turpentine every one of us who read the post would flag it, and the person who made it would be permanently banned from the site.

That's because TCS is a responsible site, unlike FaceBook.

Margret

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate those party-plan companies. They have a captive audience and you feel obligated to buy something even if you don't need or want it. I have routinely turned down invitations, although once I passed 40, there didn't seem to be so many of them. Maybe it's a young person thing.
Same... I don't have enough friends to ever have a good party anyway. I've gotten stuck hosting a couple; one because my mother had a party and got a deal if so many of her friends booked a party. Then one of her friends backed out. But I do love my Pampered Chef Products and Usborne books. I'd rather just shop when I want them though. Which I sometimes do. Facebook has actually made those parties bearable. And those are time-tested companies known to carry good products. Most others; no thanks.

I do think a lot are young-people things because I notice a lot of young mom's trying to make some extra money. Then after this they transition into something MUCH MUCH WORSE..... Fundraisers! School, sports, etc. I could run for the hills. 💨:running:

With Facebook and really the internet in general; we shouldn't be surprised by anything. But then people find new ways to stun you...

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The people we bought our house from ~40 years ago told us they had been involved in Amway. When a new neighbor had moved into the neighborhood this woman had thrown her a "welcoming" party that was really an Amway pitch in disguise, and the new neighbor had never forgiven her. She was deeply regretful.
I've also seen reports that the algorithms FB uses to weed out anti-vax posts are sometimes "catching" and banning posts by legitimate health care providers debunking anti-vaxing. In my opinion FB doesn't give a rat's @$$ about protecting privacy, restricting ads that include deliberate lies, or protecting public health. They've made it quite plain that the only thing they care about is their own bottom line, and the only policy changes they'll make are the ones they're forced into, kicking and screaming all the way.

Ask yourself - If someone on this site posted a picture of cat poop and asked for a diagnosis of possible parasites, what would be the response? I can tell you, because I've seen it. "We can't diagnose anything; it's against site policy and even if it weren't a mere picture isn't enough." And if anyone here responded to a query about feline parasites by recommending that you force your cat to drink turpentine every one of us who read the post would flag it, and the person who made it would be permanently banned from the site.

That's because TCS is a responsible site, unlike FaceBook.

Margret
Amen to that.