Just wanting to make sure!

Jaxicore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi so these are my two boys and we were told their parents are domestic short hair and maine coon but the mom was an outdoor cat. We saw the dad that looks exactly like the black one and he’s clearly full maine coon. One is 15 pounds and a year and a half old and the other is 13.5 and also a year and a half old. They have the temperament of a maine coon but some things seem off. We just want to ask! Here’s some pics!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jaxicore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a note they’re were very young in the last few pics but they’re both pretty fluffy now the black one more fluffy than the tabby!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are domestic cats, solid black appears long hair and the other a short hair Mackerel tabby.

Highly doubt a parent was a Maine Coon. Being told it was, even if you saw the cat, doesn't make it so.

Most people think any long hair big cat is a Maine Coon. It doesn't work that way. Aside from the fact that any cat without papers to prove their ancestry is considered domestic, MC's have extremely distinct features and all must be present to even think it's a Maine Coon. Neither of these cats has any features associated with a Maine Coon.

Jaxicore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are domestic cats, solid black appears long hair and the other a short hair Mackerel tabby.

Highly doubt a parent was a Maine Coon. Being told it was, even if you saw the cat, doesn't make it so.

Most people think any long hair big cat is a Maine Coon. It doesn't work that way. Aside from the fact that any cat without papers to prove their ancestry is considered domestic, MC's have extremely distinct features and all must be present to even think it's a Maine Coon. Neither of these cats has any features associated with a Maine Coon.
They’re dad was pure bred maine coon rescued from a breeder. Their mom was a calico, mackerel tabby mix. They had tests done to make sure and those are definitely the parents breeds but we’re just confused of the tabby’s dad. We’re getting tests to confirm their breeds when we can.

Jaxicore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They’re dad was pure bred maine coon rescued from a breeder. Their mom was a calico, mackerel tabby mix. They had tests done to make sure and those are definitely the parents breeds but we’re just confused of the tabby’s dad. We’re getting tests to confirm their breeds when we can.
Both are long haired cats. The tabby is a mix of medium length fur and long fur. Neither are short haired

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's actually no real breed test for cats. Even a good one like basepaws often has registered purebreds as a mix of different breeds. Cat breeds are so young that even purebreds will show up as having DSH/DLH in them. But unless that cat came from a registered breeder and they spent a ton of money (thousands of dollars) I highly doubt he is purebred. Mom would have been a DLH or DSH carrying the longhair gene. I never go based on the weight in cats as most times the cat is actually overweight lol. They should poof out more in a year or so. But I would say most likely aren't a mix. Do you have a picture of the dad?

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They would be considered domestics, with mom being an outdoor cat there's no way to know what male or males fathered a litter and even if the sire was a MC, they would still be considered domestics. But neither looks to have any MC in them at all so that story is pretty doubtful imo.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also what breed test did they have done because none of those are accurate in any sense, don't waste your money.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi so these are my two boys and we were told their parents are domestic short hair and maine coon but the mom was an outdoor cat. We saw the dad that looks exactly like the black one and he’s clearly full maine coon. One is 15 pounds and a year and a half old and the other is 13.5 and also a year and a half old. They have the temperament of a maine coon but some things seem off. We just want to ask! Here’s some pics!
Beautiful cats, especially black kitty, he has a gorgeous face 😻

like everyone said they would be dlh, with maybe some distant forest cat ancestry, I would say. Do you have a picture of a dad ? You would need to know pedigree etc and have proof if they really have any Mc and if the mom is outdoor there is no way to know if he is the dad or the only dad etc.

That said, a cat can have a pb parent and still not resemble a bred at all, or it can resemble it a lot. They don’t look specifically MC to me but the blk kitties face looks like maybe another longhair breed to me so possible look alike of something. Many cat breeds like the three Forest cat breeds were started from cats living naturally in the area so it’s not unusual for domestic cats to have some of the features too.

Jaxicore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Beautiful cats, especially black kitty, he has a gorgeous face 😻

like everyone said they would be dlh, with maybe some distant forest cat ancestry, I would say. Do you have a picture of a dad ? You would need to know pedigree etc and have proof if they really have any Mc and if the mom is outdoor there is no way to know if he is the dad or the only dad etc.

That said, a cat can have a pb parent and still not resemble a bred at all, or it can resemble it a lot. They don’t look specifically MC to me but the blk kitties face looks like maybe another longhair breed to me so possible look alike of something. Many cat breeds like the three Forest cat breeds were started from cats living naturally in the area so it’s not unusual for domestic cats to have some of the features too.
Sadly I don’t have a photo of the dad. The only reason I know for a fact his dad is his dad is cause he’s a carbon copy other than the face. Their dad was from kitten mill and fully purebred MC. They only know this because the rescue told them. He has every common MC trait, boxy/regal face, tuft fur, the mane, the lynx ears. Literally everything. They both have manes, the black one more. They’re only 1 and huge which is the only real indication that they could be mixed. No one believes their dad was a maine coon because they weren’t fluffy as kittens and malnourished because mama had worms and fleas and passed it to them but now they're absolute monsters and growing every single day. I don’t really care what they’re mixed with I just wanna know why they’re practically dog sized cats

Jaxicore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They would be considered domestics, with mom being an outdoor cat there's no way to know what male or males fathered a litter and even if the sire was a MC, they would still be considered domestics. But neither looks to have any MC in them at all so that story is pretty doubtful imo.
The possible dad is a carbon copy of the black boy. Idc what they’re mixed with I just am confused why they’re monsters. I have other cats and they’re bigger than both of them by a huge amount and they’re almost as tall as my 7 year old brother when on they’re hind legs. I’m genuinely just confused

Jaxicore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's actually no real breed test for cats. Even a good one like basepaws often has registered purebreds as a mix of different breeds. Cat breeds are so young that even purebreds will show up as having DSH/DLH in them. But unless that cat came from a registered breeder and they spent a ton of money (thousands of dollars) I highly doubt he is purebred. Mom would have been a DLH or DSH carrying the longhair gene. I never go based on the weight in cats as most times the cat is actually overweight lol. They should poof out more in a year or so. But I would say most likely aren't a mix. Do you have a picture of the dad?
Sadly I don’t have a photo of the dad. The only picture I have is him laying down facing away from the camera. He was a rescue from a kitten mill as a baby that only bred MC’s. They adopted him from a shelter as a kitten and only found out where he came from when they realized how big he was getting. I will say when I took them both to the vet they classified them as maine coon mixed based on size and look alone and told me their weights are perfect. They’re incredibly muscular but not fat. I’m very conscious about how much they eat since I had an obese cat before and lost her way too early (she was my moms cat). I don’t really mind them still being classified as domestics in this trade. I just am so confused why they’re both so big especially the tabby.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Coming from a kitten mill is very suspect for so many reasons. Those cats are the result of extremely bad breeding, and there's no way to know exactly what is in the cats background. Very unlikely to be registered. I'd take the comment with a grain of salt about MC background. Lots of shelters and rescues term long hair cats as such as a way to get more interest for them.

Your cats are adorable but as other have said, not Maine Coons and most likely do not even have any in their background. There's nothing about their appearance to lead one to think so.

Big cats are common in the general domestic population and it just sounds like you have a larger than average domestic cat. We had a domestic red tabby, that was over 16 lbs, a muscular stocky looking boy in his prime.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A shelter rescued kittens and then adopted them out unfixed? That seems disreputable to say the least and counterproductive at best since this cat is running around contributing to the cat overpopulation issue. But the story of this cat somehow only came out as it grew and went to the vet? If this is the same vet, he's likely telling everyone with a longhaired or large cat it's "part MC" lol. Is this vet a MC breeder himself or a cat show judge? Vets don't receive training in cat breed id and mostly see domestics since that's the majority of the cat population. Being "big" isn't a breed thing, lots of huge cats out there, tons of small cats, all perfectly normal variation.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are some big cats out there that are regular domestic cats. We have a healthy 2 1/2 year old boy who is 17 pounds. He is the baby of a couple of regular looking stray cats.