Just to make sure- we are playing, right?

Lukasmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I’m a first time cat owner of a 6-month old kitten. We recently started playing this game during his hyper times and I want to make sure it’s all fun and I’m not actually scaring him. He will peek around a corner, and I will jump or fake run at him. He then turns and runs away into another room. I will move closer to the room and kind of hide, and then he will come out, see me, and then run away again. Usually if I stop playing and go sit down he will come looking for me. I just want to make sure this is a game and he’s playing and that cats play like this? I’m worried maybe I’m actually scaring him and don’t realize it or something since I’m not familiar with cats.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Not familiar with cat behavior. Not sure if he is scared or otherwise. Some cats get scared when taken by surprise, others have no effect on them (like one of my cats, LOL). Nevertheless, I kindly suggest you play with him using any string, and let him chase it. It may build much stronger bond and trust first. I am not saying you could be scaring him, because it seems he is not given the way he looks for you after you stop playing with him.

You are doing a great job. Even I who have been caring cats for years isn't an expert with how I deal with my own cats at times, so I come to TCS for suggestions and advice. ;)

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had the exact same thoughts when I adopted my first kitten last year. I was almost 100% sure, every time, that she wanted me to chase her, but in the beginning, I still worried about the small chance that I was misreading her. She did arch her back a bit, and that threw me off, but I eventually gained confidence that she loved it.
I saw a difference recently. She was at my mom's house and, although she was definitely more hesitant/scared there, I thought she wanted me to chase her. So I did, only to find her tail fully puffed up. I felt so bad for scaring her. *That's* what it looks like when she doesn't want to be chased....

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats do enjoy playing some variant of hide and seek / chase with their humans.

I wouldn't necessarily play the variant where he chases YOU, as that could encourage him to view you as a pounce target at inappropriate times. However, the way you are currently playing should be harmless. Granted, its much harder to be sure the cat is enjoying it if they aren't chasing you. But you can probably tell because they dont run away and hide -- rather, they look around corners, and generally appear engaged.

If you want to be more sure the cat knows its play, you could act like a cat, sneak, peek around corners, even wiggle your bum before pouncing. Just don't let anyone see you. Unless its for your only fans page :)

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Might not want to do the chasing. He might get in the habit of running away if approached, and you will want to pick him up at times.

The hide-and-seek and spying around corners isn't a problem. My current cats don't do that, but I have had some in the past that did.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
House cats are in the middle of the food chain, both predator and prey. When chased, they can become prey and go into fight or flight.

But every cat is individual. Maybe your cat loves this kind of play. Maybe not. If your cat loves this kind of play, be keenly aware there might be a point where the cat is overstimulated and the switch is flipped to pure instinctual fight or flight. So, less is definitely more.

I often get the feeling our cat Belle wants me to wrestle with her. But, if I were to do that, it's not long before she starts biting a bit too hard and I don't want to encourage that behavior. I keep a strict "Hands Are Not Toys" policy. That's keeps me and Belle happy. It's also got me thinking we need to get another cat for her to play with.

Chasing my cat would be disastrous. But what works is to take some food and have her follow it through the house like she's doing an obstacle course. It stimulates her mind, exercises her body and when we're done, she gets to enjoy her well earned meal. The exercise builds the bond between Belle and myself and boost her confidence.

You have to closely observe your cat and figure out what works and what doesn't. A good rule of thumb for cats is, make sure what comes from you are good things.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a game of hide and seek. He is coming back in the hopes you will come after him again. I have had a couple cats that loved to play that game, sometimes with me slowly stalking them and jumping out at the end and others wanted a full run chase. You need to see what amuses you and your cat. And certainly no harm and good exercise for both of you.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's about context. Cats do pretend and are into make-believe (that they are starving, they are hunting even though they know it's a plastic toy, and also that they are frightened or angry) Minish hisses like a lynx to my boyfriend and attacks his finger when he pokes her, 2 seconds later follows him around like a puppy and rubs herself all over him with a flagpost tail. She never hisses at me when I poke her, gives me a lovely chirp. That's their mind game I think, sort of.
Minish plays a mix of tag and hide and seek game usually after a good meal when she has the zoomies. She sometimes arches her back or puffs her tail if she's agitated or if she's extremely into the game. In that case, I give a break not to overwhelm her. She prefers being chased and I pretend monster with her. I also encourage her to chase and pounce towards me. This is because we both know each other well. I trust she won't use her claws and teeth (she got control around 6 months. If she's too hyper, she attacks something else like the scratch post and she will dash around me when she pounces) She trusts the monster attack will result in a nose boop instead of lifting her up to be squeezed (which she hates)
If your kitten were afraid, he wouldn't come back to check on you. He would hiss or hide really well. Keep playing if your kitten will be an only cat. They need this sort of play and it's best played with other cats. But cats are very adaptive creatures and they make do with us :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lukasmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you ALL so much for your responses!! You’ve given me so much information and I’m so grateful for your help!! 😊 It seems as though he is enjoying it as a game, but I’ve decided to only engage sparingly so as not to encourage him to start playfully attacking my legs. I’m sure I’ll have plenty more questions as time goes on and I’m thankful I found this site and all of you! :)

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a game of hide and seek. He is coming back in the hopes you will come after him again. I have had a couple cats that loved to play that game, sometimes with me slowly stalking them and jumping out at the end and others wanted a full run chase. You need to see what amuses you and your cat. And certainly no harm and good exercise for both of you.
:yeah::runningcat::clapcat: