Just start with raw but have diarrhea suddenly

AnnieLu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats just starts with raw food. I bought several packs of ground venison and elk from pet store and mix with EZ Complete. They are pretty fine at the first few days but suddenly have diarrhea, soft and dark poops, three days ago. What can be the cause of this sudden change? And what can I do currently, return back to feeding canned and add probiotics?Is it a sign that they can't be tolerant of raw food?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
How quickly did you introduce the new food? Also, what exactly is included in the packages of venison and elk that you bought? Make sure to follow the EZ complete instructions exactly. If EZcomplete includes a calcium source you will want to make sure that you're not being redundant by purchasing grinds that include bones.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any sudden or significant changes in diet can cause gastrointestinal upsets.
It’s best to gradually change the diet, adding small amounts of raw food to their regular diet and slowly increasing over a period of time.

You might need to put them back on canned food until the digestive issues pass, then gradually increase the raw food.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like EZ Complete is heavily based with liver and pancreas. These are pretty rich, and can cause soft stools if your cat has not eaten a lot of it before. This is why it's important to transition over a couple weeks.

Also, make sure you are using the proper ratio for the amount of meat.
There is one amount for a large batch (2 lbs meat) described as "1/2 measuring cup" (53.3g), and another for individual meals (1.5 oz meat) described as "one scoop" (2.5 g).

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like EZ Complete is heavily based with liver and pancreas. These are pretty rich, and can cause soft stools if your cat has not eaten a lot of it before. This is why it's important to transition over a couple weeks.
Good point, and it's also imporatnt to know what's in the meat grinds you're buying because they might also include organs such as liver. It may be that you are feeding too much liver.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AnnieLu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good point, and it's also imporatnt to know what's in the meat grinds you're buying because they might also include organs such as liver. It may be that you are feeding too much liver.
I mixed canned food with raw at the first two days and feeding completely raw for like four to five days. They are still doing good at that time so I think they are fine and stop transition. Then they have soft poop three days ago.

Meat is boneless and I follow the instruction on EZ. I think it may be the problem of short transition period.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I mixed canned food with raw at the first two days and feeding completely raw for like four to five days. They are still doing good at that time so I think they are fine and stop transition. Then they have soft poop three days ago.

Meat is boneless and I follow the instruction on EZ. I think it may be the problem of short transition period.
Yes, I think you transitioned too quickly. You need to go much slower- over a period of 2 weeks.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s also possible that they are sensitive to red meat.
But to me it’s important what Azazel has mentioned, if the grind includes organs. My understanding is that EZ Complete should only be used with muscle meat.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you didn’t mention if the grind includes organs, A AnnieLu