Just Spayed Adopted Semi-Feral Sleeping/Hiding All Day After Surgery

Sharky22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

The day after Christmas, we trapped and brought in a semi-feral young cat who had been coming to our property for 6 months. She's been here in her own room since that time, approximately 4.5 weeks now. She had a regular check up with vaccinations her first week here, and we then scheduled a spay for her to coincide with getting her booster shots, which was this week on Tuesday.

Our intention has been that we will adopt her, once we get her settled and can get her acclimated to our 2 resident brother cats who are her age, about 1 yr-5 months. They still have not met face-to-face yet, though. (I posted elsewhere here when we first brought her in, looking for advice.)

She had been making great strides with me in terms of socialization and trust prior to this last vet appointment for her spay. In fact, she was becoming affectionate. The spay appointment itself was traumatic for her, though she did great with the surgery. They kept her overnight; we then picked her up on Wednesday morning and brought her home to the private room she's been living in. On Wednesday, she was out and about, ate everything I gave her, and used her litter box immediately. She lounged out right in front of me resting for part of the evening. I stayed in the room with her that night, and she got more active in the room after midnight, though she was fairly quiet.

Then, yesterday, she stayed curled in a corner between the wall and a bed all day. She finally took the one pain pill I was given for her when I dropped it back there (wrapped in Greenies pill pocket). She'd look up at me and meow when I checked on her, but she slept back there all day. At some point she came out for food when I was not in the room. I stayed with her again last night to make sure everything was alright and sure enough, after midnight she got mobile, looking out the window meowing for most of the night. (I finally went back to my regular bed at 6am to get a little sleep.)

Now, she's been back behind the bed hiding and sleeping again all day today, not even coming out for food. The vet tech told me to expect some regression since she was so petrified by her visit, but should I be concerned about this particular behavior? Because she's hiding all day, I really can't get a look at her incision. I do plan on staying up extra late tonight, thinking she'll get active again after midnight, just so I can get a look at the incision.

Does this sound par for the course for a scared cat who is only newly indoors and has just gone through a traumatic vet visit and surgery? Or should I be concerned about any of this? I guess I was surprised she was active on Wednesday but has been sleeping/hiding for the past 2 days.

Thank you! I am new to this kind of rescue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sharky22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not a vet, but I think yes, she's not only physically recuperating but also mentally/emotionally. I'm glad the two of you have each other :vibes::heartshape:
Thank you for your message. I'm feeling really neurotic about her every emotion. I'm an empath and it's driving my guy crazy in this scenario because I'm worrying about everything! Your message and emojis made me feel better!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your message. I'm feeling really neurotic about her every emotion. I'm an empath and it's driving my guy crazy in this scenario because I'm worrying about everything! Your message and emojis made me feel better!
[/QUOT1E]
Perfectly normal!. Some of the cats I have rescued were kittens and had no trouble adjusting. Older cats took more time. They would meow continuously the first night. Then ok. My cat Coco took a year to adjust

Sharky22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, thank you, thank you for your feedback!
I've only ever rescued very young boy kittens before, and adopted one girl straight from a shelter who had already been spayed well before she came home, so I have no idea what to expect/what would be normal for a 1.5-year-old girl.
Hearing your experience is a great relief!

CodyMolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely normal. Thankyou for taking her in and to have such good strides now! She will be a fantastic cat sooner than you know. She’ll be in alittle uncomfortable and will hide especially since she was fixed it’s definitely harder on girl cats than boys for sure. So glad you brought her in! I took in a feral once and she was nuts! But in due time she layed on my stomach and purred all about trust and love . Great job!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, thank you, thank you for your feedback!
I've only ever rescued very young boy kittens before, and adopted one girl straight from a shelter who had already been spayed well before she came home, so I have no idea what to expect/what would be normal for a 1.5-year-old girl.
Hearing your experience is a great relief!
Check out my story in my profile. Peaches was rescued 5 weeks old. She had no problem adjusting. Coco was 1 yr old. Her personality is opposite. Your new cat might adjust quickly or she made just need lots of tlc!

Last edited:

Sharky22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely normal. Thankyou for taking her in and to have such good strides now! She will be a fantastic cat sooner than you know. She’ll be in alittle uncomfortable and will hide especially since she was fixed it’s definitely harder on girl cats than boys for sure. So glad you brought her in! I took in a feral once and she was nuts! But in due time she layed on my stomach and purred all about trust and love . Great job!
Phew! Reassuring to hear from everyone that this seems normal. As long as it's nothing to be concerned about, I'm glad she's hiding/sleeping all day because that means she's not endangering her incision and is healing. Thank you all for the input!