Just signed lease and asked to keep cat in my small room

swamimami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All, I want to get opinions from cat owners on this. I have a 6 year old very active, almost kitten like cat. She has been my best friend over the years and we have lived in relatively spacious places (in NYC) with othe roommates and have never had a conflict. She has always had freedom of being in the common space in my previous apartments. I recently moved into a 4 bedroom apartment with one other cat owner and two others. We all signed the lease for a year a month and a half ago. The cat owner's cat is the same age but a lot less social and more lethargic. I did not foresee this going into the situation but the cat owner herself is a very aggressive person who I have reason to believe may have a personality disorder. She very inappropriately flipped out at me and asked if I keep my cat in my 9 x 8 room.

I felt like this was very unethical and decided to try to have a mediation with her and come up with other solutions but it has become clear to me that this is an impossible battle.I have been keeping her mostly in my room for the past month. I work a 9-5 and let her go in the common space to play with her only when I am able to keep my full attention on her (the roommate does not want her in her room, but also refuses to close her door). However since I am studying for grad school etc. and feel uncomfortable around roommate I don't go in the common space often. My cat seems to have adjusted to the change ok. At first I was exremely uneasy about keeping her in the room, but now that I have seen that she is doing ok (her personality hasn't changed. Shes happy, playful and still spoons with me every night) I feel a bit better. She even has stopped trying to run out of the room when I open the door.

My brother is one of my roommates and his room is directly next to mine. There is a hallway that leads to our rooms. I plan on putting up an accordian door in the hallway so that she can hang out in my room, my brothers room (both 9 X 8ft) and a small length of the hallway (about 5 feet by 3 feet).  When I am at work or can not watch her in the common space.

It seems it would have to be this way for a year. So far she seems to be doing ok, and when I add the divider she will get the doube the space (however it i a lot less space than she is used to). I have her litter box, food, scratching pads  and toys in my room. Also two windows for her to perch and look out of. Does this seem like it would be ok for my cat until I move?

Thanks!

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does she have a cat tree? If you can afford it I would invest in one, as long as she has plenty of climbing space it seems like this would be okay on a temporary basis. However, if you're really concerned you may see if you have friends or family members who would be willing to care for her until you can move.

Is the other roommates cat allowed to have full access to the house? Why won't she close her door? It does not seem as though she is being very fair about your situation and is making day to day life stressful for both you and your cat. In fact, I would be more concerned about the roommate being near my cat than keeping the cat confined to a smaller space for a temporary time.

Good luck, I hope you can either come to an understanding with your roommate or get out if this situation soon!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

swamimami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just ordered a cat tree from amazon, coming on Thursday!

Her cat is pretty much out all the time. She claims my cat knocked her printer over, which is part of what has caused this to happen. (My cat is about half the size of hers, she is a lot smaller than the average cat size). But after being verbally attacked by her on multiple occasions I agree with you and actually feel more comfortable keeping her with me and my brother where I know she is safe. I spend virtually all my time at home (when I'm not working) in my room with her and my brother takes her out with the cat dancer when I'm not home, too. Hopefully over time we can come to some sort of compromise, but for now I am unable to communicate with her.

Thanks for the feedback!

lazer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I just ordered a cat tree from amazon, coming on Thursday!

Her cat is pretty much out all the time. She claims my cat knocked her printer over, which is part of what has caused this to happen. (My cat is about half the size of hers, she is a lot smaller than the average cat size). But after being verbally attacked by her on multiple occasions I agree with you and actually feel more comfortable keeping her with me and my brother where I know she is safe. I spend virtually all my time at home (when I'm not working) in my room with her and my brother takes her out with the cat dancer when I'm not home, too. Hopefully over time we can come to some sort of compromise, but for now I am unable to communicate with her.

Thanks for the feedback!
Sorry, off topic, but what's "the cat dancer"?!

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't say confining her to a small space temporarily is unethical. Unfortunately you don't have a lot of choice with the uncooperative roommate. And you have provided her with her basic necessities and toys. I think my spare rooms is about that size. It functions as a computer/cat room. I keep my 3rd cat in there while I'm at work because he fights with my other 2 if left unsupervised. He comes out in the evening and the other 2 go in my room. He also has a litter box, food and water bowls, 2 beds, toys, a small tree and a window. 

If the cats aren't fighting with each other and aren't attacking any roommates, it's not fair that one gets to be out and the other doesn't. Did she see your cat knock over her printer, or just assume it was your cat? Do you feel comfortable having another discussion with her about it? If she's the irrational type, maybe you are doing the best thing by keeping your kitty and yourself away from her. At least you have your brother to give you some solace in the awkward living situation. You definitely don't need the extra stress while studying for grad school. 

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have had to keep our cats in one room with us several times over the past few years. Due to financial issues, we have rented single rooms from people. And we just went through a crazy roommate situation, too! I was much, much more comfortable keeping my babies confined in our room than anywhere near my old roommate, who was very unstable. Thankfully, things are getting better for us and we just moved to a nice new apartment of our own.

My cats were fine. We played a lot with the laser and dangly toys, plus I made sure everyone had a seat in the window to look outside. We put bird and squirrel feeders outside the window, but that may not be possible for you, if you are in NYC. They have those bird feeders that attach to windows with suction cups, so maybe that is a possibility. Really, I think your cat will be happy just to be with you, no matter where it is. With access to your brother's room and an awesome new cat tree, she will have plenty to do!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had to keep Jasmine confined to one, small bedroom for several months, when we had house guests who were actively hostile to cats. The only sense in which Jasmine suffered was that once the guests had been evicted, it took a while to convince Jasmine that it really was safe to come out now.

Are you afraid of this roommate? She sounds a lot like my house guests, and one of them ended up physically abusing me. Please, if you have any doubts at all, never allow yourself to be alone with this woman.

Margret

swamimami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I wouldn't say confining her to a small space temporarily is unethical. Unfortunately you don't have a lot of choice with the uncooperative roommate. And you have provided her with her basic necessities and toys. I think my spare rooms is about that size. It functions as a computer/cat room. I keep my 3rd cat in there while I'm at work because he fights with my other 2 if left unsupervised. He comes out in the evening and the other 2 go in my room. He also has a litter box, food and water bowls, 2 beds, toys, a small tree and a window. 

If the cats aren't fighting with each other and aren't attacking any roommates, it's not fair that one gets to be out and the other doesn't. Did she see your cat knock over her printer, or just assume it was your cat? Do you feel comfortable having another discussion with her about it? If she's the irrational type, maybe you are doing the best thing by keeping your kitty and yourself away from her. At least you have your brother to give you some solace in the awkward living situation. You definitely don't need the extra stress while studying for grad school. 
She claims she saw it happen. She also told me a week prior that the printer was broken. I am a very peaceful, drama free person and have tried to deal with it in a civil and respectful way but I can tell it will be one problem after another so I've decided to do what I can without creating any potential future conflict. When it comes down to it, the most important thing to me after safety is that my kitty is happy and healthy and she seems to be doing just fine. I'm happy to hear that your cats manage taking turns in your rooms!

swamimami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback it really makes me feel better that others have gone through similar situations. She really is like my baby and I agree aslong as shes with she will be happy. I just need to be creative with how to entertain her here.

swamimami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had to keep Jasmine confined to one, small bedroom for several months, when we had house guests who were actively hostile to cats. The only sense in which Jasmine suffered was that once the guests had been evicted, it took a while to convince Jasmine that it really was safe to come out now.

Are you afraid of this roommate? She sounds a lot like my house guests, and one of them ended up physically abusing me. Please, if you have any doubts at all, never allow yourself to be alone with this woman.

Margret
Wow, I am so sorry that has happened to you! I feel anxious/nervous around her because I am not used to being around such angry people but I really don't think she would get physical. She has a cat herself and I have never seen her hostil towards either cat. Regardless, keeping Swami away seems to be the best for us.  Thanks for reaching out!

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dislike drama and confrontation as well. You are really making the best of an uncomfortable situation! "It's only a year. It's only a year. It's only a year." would be my mantra. 

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats can get used to smaller or larger spaces well enough generally.  In a new home, a small space is preferable at first anyway.  In general, for many cats the vertical space will be more important than the floor area, so with the cat tree I think she'll be fine. With two rooms and a hallway, more than fine.

Good luck with the roommate.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the site and I can also ease your mind on keeping your kitty in a small space! My very first cat, Winky, had to spend her days in my small room apartment as well. Sort of the same situation but this was MANY years ago. :lol3: When I was home, I would allow Winky out and about to keep an eye on her. My roommate also had an older cat who was very crabby probably because her owner was a crab. :rolleyes: I moved in to HER apartment so after it was obvious her older cat did not like my Winky, then I was asked to keep my cat in my room. She did absolutely fine for well over a year. AND it kept the peace between me and my roommate. And, the year passed by pretty quickly as I remember. :bigwink: Better to keep your sanity AND your cat's by doing what you can to make things run smoothly as you all try to live together which will make your life much more less stressful.

I think the great option you have is to put up that divider in the hallway between yours and your brother's room! That is a perfect solution and will give your kitty a bit more space to move about. I know space is very tight but might you be able to find a narrow, tall cat tree to place in front of a window? I went even as far as hanging a few pet hammocks from my ceiling near the window!!!! Winky LOVED this option. Just make sure they are VERY securely attached to the ceiling and that there is a way for you cat to jump from on top of something into the hammock's.

I also have a couple of friends who live in an RV with multiple cats. VERY SMALL space as you can imagine and with lots of vertical space and a bit of imagination, you can come up with many fun options for your cat to climb around and keep entertained while you are gone for the day. Cats do very well in small spaces when they have lots of love and are happy. Better this than to have your cat exposed to your, may I say, unbalanced roommate?!! :nothappy:

p.s. You can even drop a few treat balls filled with a bit of kibble during the day for you kitty to knock around. ;) Don't worry, to me it sounds like your such an awesome meowmy and your cat is adjusting very well to this living arrangement all because she has YOU. :nod:

Last edited:

mesacakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also went through something similar years ago. My cat did fine. I got her a window seat and she was happy. I think she knew.
Note - my roommates were both in vet school!! I thought it was crazy that people who wanted to be vets would be so weird to a sweet cat. Oh and the one had two cats in the large basement (her room) and the other got a yellow lab puppy (my cat had my room [smallest in the house] and bathroom). Just get good grades so you can have enough $ to have a nicer home for her later in life! [emoji]128512[/emoji]

dibrook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like you are a very good cat parent!!  Keep up the good work.  I think your kitty will be fine (as long as the other cat mom doesn't freak out again).  Cat trees are always great, they love them! Also make sure screens are very secure in your windows cause I've had mine break out in the past.  Perhaps the older kitty will eventually get used to the scent of your cat and come around to liking it in the future!  

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you got the toy called Me- Ow as if you haven't it would be a good toy to keep yours happy. Mine never left it alone. I n fact the top fabric was in shreds but you can get parts from them. They have batteries in but they last a long while. I got mine from amazon and the batteries as its the cheapest. If you haven't got it l can find the details from my order at amazon. It has been judged as the top cat toy.

My Kittie went missing nearly a month ago, am hoping that someone has got her and treating her well. She was a silver British short hair so she showed up,

Jilly

khat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did your flatmate live there first? If not I'd tell her that if her cats allowed out so's your - you are equally important