Just Rescued 2 Ferals... Questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks shadowsrescue. I have to think about making the room smaller, im not sure if it's possibe the way it is configured. I knew i shouldnt have let them out this morning, but i ignored my gut feeling. Now im afraid that they will always fight me on going back in. I wont make this morning's mistake again!

What is the best treat, in your experience? Something they can't resist?

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gotta be honest with everyone, this mornings episode has me second guessing everything. I have been sick to my stomach ever since. Am i cut out for this? Was it a mistake to bring them in?? I could have TNR'D them and let them be. Now what?? Sorry to be so needy, but its just me (my husband is wonderful, but travels alot and i dont want him to worry about this too)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take a deep breath. This is all part of the process. I promise it will get easier it just takes time and lots of time. My first feral took one solid year to adjust to inside living. I now am working with 3 more and they have been inside 10 months and do not have full run of the house yet.

You did the right thing in working with them. They are making such huge progress in a short time. I know it's hard and it's worrisome. Yet, they will adjust and become more resilient along the way. You aren't going to ruin them!

I love to use plain cooked chicken. I save some from our meals or boil some up and shred. I keep bags in my freezer and use them as rewards or bribes! My guys also love plain cooked tilapia. Yet tuna works so well too. Gerber stage 2 baby food in turkey or chicken is always a winner. I just tap the jar with a spoon and all come running.

Take some time to gather your thoughts and see if you can make the space a bit smaller for them. If not maybe it's too soon for them to be out and about. Instead working on handling them. More touching and play time.

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cant thank you enough for your support and advice! My brain knows you are right, but i am such a worried mess today! I have read the posts and blogs, and realize this isn't going to be easy. And i do need to stop and tske a breath! Heres hoping for a better evening!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy, what a morning that you've had! shadowsrescue shadowsrescue has already said everything thing that I was going to add. Some times, the wild just keeps coming to the surface. Yesterday, one of my sickly semi-ferals escaped back to outside and I had to snatch him up and toss him back into the house. Now he is hiding under the furniture. I raised him as a bottle baby but he has remained skittish. once I can pet or stroke him, he gives in and becomes very cuddly - the transformation is like turning on a light switch. :seesaw:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always say that working with feral cats is both rewarding and one of the most difficult tasks.
Have you ever thought of using any flower essences with them? I have found Jackson Galaxy's Feral Flower Feral Flower Formula
I have used it with a few of my feral cats and had good success. Also the stress stopper. Composure liquid and treats have helped in the past too. I am currently using Zylkene with one of them. It took a few weeks to work, but it really has helped to take the edge off.

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Coincidentally i just ordered Jackson Galaxy's feral essense the other day. I do have the Felliway diffuser in their room. They are usually good and will go in their room to eat, but fir some reason they were in a mood this morning, probably feeding off my nerves too!

Thanks to all for the ideas and support... i will try to put it to good use!

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
So im more than a little freaked about going home... do i let them out ( they are usually waiting at the door and try to run past me, but they come back in to eat). Do i try to keep them in... ???? Or do i act like its business as usual?

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about your crazy morning. I totally understand the ups and downs. My two cats (one semi-feral, one stray) are starting to be allowed out of their safe room and a whole bunch of new questions and issues have arisen that I need to figure out and deal with. Every day is different if I want to move forward.

But look back at your posting yesterday afternoon! You were so happy that your kitties were safe and warm in your house! Things were going well! Please hold onto those thoughts! I know it is easy to worry or second guess yourself, but you are doing a great job with these kitties -- don't doubt it for a second.

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Avery, I've read your thread. I know everyone says this is a process, 1 step forward and 2 or 3 back. Its such an emotional rollercoaster. And what makes it worse is that i knew i shouldn't have let them out thus morning. It is completely my fault and was totally avoidable! Im buying chicken tonight for them to apologize. Its just that they so enjoy playing in the family room. Hopefully we can get back to that in the evenings and weekends.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KrisinOhio KrisinOhio : reading your thread reminds me of how much pet parenting is similar to people parenting. Not too long ago, I borrowed my 89yo mom's little dog Mia for a playdate with other little dogs. My mom's dog escaped into the city park! Many people rushed to help & put Mia into a full blown panic. No one could get near the frantic pup. So I kneeled down & by a miracle, a man on a bike ride up to help and Mia ran straight into my arms. I thought that I was going to have a heart attack!!!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Second guessing yourself is a sign that you've actually researched what you're doing, that you respect the work, the hazards, and despite all that your heart went, "Nope, we're doing this now!"

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
K Kflowers , i thought i respected what you all have accomplished. Now i am in awe!! I pray i have one quarter of the fortitude, patience and resolve!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, but I only rescued four ferals, three went to a farm. One was hurt so we kept her. My other rescues were strays. Some with attitude. When I speak as above, it's because I've learned from the elite rescuers on this site.

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok experts.... i am in need of advice. I'm home, sitting in the cats room with them as they eat. All seems forgiven from this mornings adventure (whew)! Normally i would let them play in the family room for a couple hours. I give them a late small feeding to get them in their room for the night. Is this a good idea, or should i work with them in their room?? I dont want them to think they're being punished but i cant take a repeat of this morning.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am by NO means an expert, but I think sometimes you just have to give yourself a break. This feral cat business can be stressful and emotional. I don't mean you would totally ignore them for days on end, and I know routine is usually important, but for one evening if you need to de-stress, I think it is OK to do what is easier for you. Like I said, I'm not an expert and this is just my two cents... so wait for the real advice!!

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, this is probably the WRONG thing to do, but I have let them into the family room. They are playing, running from the family room, to their room, up their cat tree and back again. The chicken (plain roasted lunchmeat) was a hit, I will use that along with their food to get them back in their room before bed. No one seems any worse for wear (except me)! Going forward, like shadowsrescue shadowsrescue said, I am not going to let them out when I have a schedule to keep. and i am going to make more of an effort to socialize Tortellini, she is ornery! One day at a time.....
Thanks again to everyone who helped me today - you kept me going!

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
and.... just to finish off the day. the cats are in their room for the night! (It was technically cheating, I waited until they ran in their room for a breather between play, they were laying on their cat tree. I quietly went in with their evening snack and shut the door!