Just Rescued 2 Ferals... Questions

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check under the kitchen and other cabinets that are set on the floor. Often the wood frame below the doors has a hole in it which doesn't lead to the cabinets but to the wall. A couple of strips of duck tape will close those holes and keep kitten safe.

Check behind the plumbing, under bath sinks and around the hot water heater.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the input! The family room (next to the cat room) has been kitten proofed and we are opening the door to let them explore when we are there to supervise. So far they are very timid and just coming out a few feet. The TV startles them.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are expanding their territory from the security of base camp, like all good explorers do. Just think, they are being real Vikings! I would give them "satellite bases" such as boxes or carriers that are scent-soaked with the familiar aromas of base camp so if startled, they can hole up in there instead of dashing all the way back to home base.
You are doing an awesome job & I applaud you intuitiveness and patience :rock:

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been 6 weeks since we brought the 2 kitties inside, so I thought I'd post an update. All in all things are going well. They are coming out of their room to join us in the family room fairly regularly (with supervision), and getting more trusting. Today was up and down though. Miss Kitty, the mother, is getting spayed on Wednesday, and I am more than a little freaked about it!!! So we mounted a camera in their room today, much to their dismay. They DO NOT like disruption in base campcamp. Miss Kitty hid for 30 minutes.

These forums have been a great resource, thanks to all!

here's hoping for a successful spay and recovery.

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
2 month update... Miss Kitty has been spayed (i have another thread with my anxiety about that!) She is going back for her f/up Wednesday and to check a weepy eye. Tortellini will be spayed in a couple of months. The socializing is going well, and both are getting comfortable with the family room. Now i am trying to figure out the best way to let them have more freedom. I have a split level, and will close off a lot of rooms, but i still want to supervise them. Also, i am neurotic about the stairs, the railing is open and i don't want them jumping through.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Order a lot of stuff or just buy cardboard boxes, Amazon sells them. Remove the flaps, cut the boxes so they will lie flat. Cut them to be the height of your stair railing. Punch holes with an awl and then scissors at the corners on each end. Use clothes line or other heavy cord and tie them to the railing. It will look at little odd, but it will give you peace of mind until the guys are older, or we think of something more decorative. Putting my mind to it.

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! Great tips. Here's my next question. I feel guilty about containing them in their "cat room" when I can't supervise them??

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are a lot smaller than we are, even if we're small in human terms. A 12 x 8 room is pretty big to them. One filled with stuff they've never seen before is more than pretty interesting. They have each other to play with. In the great outside their nest and their mother's turf weren't that big. They spent most of their time hiding, and did it well, they are still among us.

Containing them will let them get the incrediable amount of sleep they need to grow up (and to not be crazy right now.) A kitten who doesn't nap is like a toddler who doesn't nap. I know that because Sweet Gum didn't nap. Thanks be, someone had posted on the Net about having the same experience. We had to put her in her carrier and cover it with a towel, like a parrot, to make her nap.

Your guys will have plenty to do in their safe room. They will be happy. You will know they are safe and won't worry, so you can concentrate on your job and not get fired. You will be happy.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, and one other seriously important thing. Lock them in the cat room while you are cooking. There is nothing more dangerous than moving pots of boiling water, food, or oil while being distracted by a kitten, tripping over a kitten... Okay, stop thinking about that. Just lock them in the safe room.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KFlowers has given excellent suggestions! Kitties thrive on enrichment and love multi-level perches. My latest "feral-pulls" love my daughters shower stool - it is their favorite "playground toy". and cardboard boxes are always a big hit, especially new ones just waiting to be soaked with scent from claws and cheek rubs.
I am so happy for your little cats :heartshape:

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all! Hope everyone had a great holiday. I'm trying to get back in the work routine. The kitties are doing well overall, but i wanted your advice, suggestions...

i have read on these forums that keeping newly rescued ferals on a schedule is very important. Monday through Friday their routine is for me to spend some time with them before work, then a couple of hours in the evening before bed. That is going pretty well. They stay in their room when they are unsupervised. They come in the adjoining family room when i am with them.

I dont know what to do about the weekends. Should i stick to this schedule, or if i am home, let them in the family room more often? I hope to expand their space to tbe upper level (kitchen, kiving room and bedroom) in the next couple of weeks. Miss Kitty (the mother) is very tame and friendly, and if it was just her i think she is ready, but Tortellini (her approx 5 month old kitten) is not. Im working with her more, but i cant pick her up or pet her regularly.

Sorry for the long post, I'll wait to hear from the experts!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:thumbsup: It's great to hear that things are going so well! I like your idea about expanding time in the family room on the weekends. There will be different activity levels on the weekend and the kitties already know this via scents and sounds. Sending prayers and vibes that Tortellini follows Miss Kitty's example and tames up quickly. You are giving them a special opportunity for a great life - what a gift! :clapcat: :vibes::vibes::vibes: :cheerleader: :happycat:

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you catsknowme! I've been reading alot of the feral taming threads on this wonderful forum, so educational and inspiring!! Ive been documenting my progress so maybe someday i can share my experience with a newbie as well. These kitties are so wonderful! How lucky am i that Miss Kitty chose our house!! I am thankful every day they are inside warm and safe! Its also comforting to know that i am not the only person who obsesses about her pets (dog, cat, fish, whatever!!) I once took my goldfish who wasn't eating to a fish expert for advice!! Anyway, happy Sunday all, and keep that great advice coming! Next big hurdles: expanding base camp and spaying Tortellini:)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RE: the goldfish.

Well, yeah. What else were you going to do? :)
Exactly!! I once paid for a wing amputation for one of my disabled daughter's pet chickens. And gave the hen, Cheryl, her own dog carrier on the back porch, for a shelter safe from predators. Cheryl also had free run of all the yards & used front-yard privileges and her close friendships with the ferals to keep safe from the other hens.

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh!! What a terrible morning! I had to leave early for work, so i set the alarm extra early to spend time with the cats. So... they apparently prefer the family room to their room because they bolted when i opened the door. After 30 minutes of coaxing and using their favorite treats i had to start herding. Tortellini thought it was a great game and finally sauntered in when she wanted a drink of water. But Miss Kitty is MAD!! She hissed at me, wouldn't let me pet her or take a treat. I feel like a schmuck!! How do i let them expand into the rest of the house but still get them in their room when necessary without a repeat of this morning??

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This part is hard. When I brought my first feral inside, he loved to come downstairs with us while my other cat and dog were put away. Yet I then had the challenge of getting him back to his room. I would try to lure with food, but often ended up chasing him up. Sometimes he would be snoozing and I would do a quick grab. I was unable to pick him up normally, but I would just hold him far away from my body with a very tight grip while he squirmed the entire way.

I always made sure to only let him out of the room, when I had either help to get him back inside or I had nothing going on in case I couldn't get him back to his room. This was a challenge for a few weeks until he learned this became part of his routine.

You might try not allowing them to have the entire family room. Is there any way to make the space smaller to start? You could use baby gates or wire shelving barriers?