Just rambling thoughts on my mind

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I guess I just need to blow a little steam off, talk about some things and know someone is listening who isn't directly involved in my life and the things going on around here.
I've been a member here for a long time, will be 7 years in July, and this is still one of the most caring communities online that I have ever seen...I've been a member of several over the years,(not all cat related) but this one is still the best
. Some of you remember that when I first came here we along with my mom and dad owned a shoe store, and in April 2005 (yes, it's been almost five years) my husband and I opened up a bakery/catering service, and we closed the shoe store in July 2006. Last year, Jan 2009, business had slumped enough that I took a second job working part time with Charlie and full time in a flower shop with my parents. Fast forward one more year and we get to my story. The past year has been rough for us, to say the least. We've scraped by with barely enough money to pay the bills....as a matter of fact, my home lights were off during November for a week and a half because we didn't have the money for both it and the bakery bill. Business in January and February is always basement bottom, we know this but this year has been worse than normal. Charlie is considering shutting down and getting out of it, but this is his love, his lifelong dream, and I can't fault him for not wanting to if he can help it.....but it gets to me sometimes, not having the money to take care of everything that needs to be billwise, and so many things weighing on my mind that need to be done around here....the car I'm driving needs new tires and a blower fan for the heater/air conditioning, his van needs two tires, the altenator (sp?) worked on and a paint job before it rusts out....our house has a leak that needs fixing, the air/heat ductwork needs to be fixed/replaced/whatever because its wasting heat and air, my washer and dryer both need fixing, as does my stove (or maybe new stove, not sure)....sigh. I broke my temporary bridge and need to get my permanant one, but don't have the $$ to do that, both of us really need new glasses, him first, I've been and got new ones more recently than him....I guess it's just really bothering me today . And I know that there's no guarantee that he'll find a job even if he does shut down.....

I'm not asking for pity, or even comments....I just really needed to get some things off my chest I guess....and you guys are some of the best!

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for strenghth
to help you find the silver lining
to remember how much I appreciate your positive posts on my fb
Just because

I don't know what to say really, my positivity is shattered atm. But I hope things come together for you soon. Being broke sucks!!
But you are loved, and appreciated.

Be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tia - I can still find the positive side for others, just hard for me to find it personally right now.

Lovemy10- Thanks! And since you're a new member, hope its not long before all of us get to know you!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lessee, sending
and and
and
and
and
your way.

When I think of more, I'll send them, too.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending a ton of hugs and vibes sweetie.
One day at a time...and I'm a FIRM believer that everything happens for a reason. All of this can only make you stronger.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sympathise so much - it has been a rough year for me too, and several times I have found myself living on home-made soup and bread and praying that no-one got sick. Sometimes one just does not know what to do next and panic attacks in the night become common. But you are a strong and capable person, and you will come through it, for the sake of all those you love and who love and are dependent on you. Sit down with Charlie and work out what your priorities are and what you would do if things get worse. If you have a plan of action sometimes things seem better. Lots of hugs and good vibes for a better time ahead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, I needed that!

Susan, the only thing that we own in the business is the name and assorted smallwares. The building and kitchen are rented.

Jennyransom- thanks! The plan at the moment is to keep it going as long as we can, hoping to change some things and keep it afloat until it either sinks completely or swims again.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Jenny you need to sit down with Charlie and write down pros and cons of staying in business. And be honest.

Does your business model need changing?? How is the market in your area? What sells well??
This April will be five years of being self employed-thankfully its not a business that we rely on my income though as I don't make very much after expenses. Its been down with the economy and I'm backing off a bit this season as well.
On the other hand I did take a part time job at a bakery about 18 months ago so I wouldn't have to draw $$ out of my business account and I really enjoy it. The owners are actually expanding in this economy as we are quite busy.
Good luck on what you decide to do.