Just need a little help

beancolada_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat came home a day ago with a swollen tongue and was limping. I just got a chance to look at him today and his eye is okay but his tongue is still swollen and hanging out and a lot of his nails and frayed. on the paw he was limping on he has a bloody nail he won’t let me look at and i’m a little worried for his health. i don’t have the money for a vet visit so i just need a little advice as to what i should do or give him to help him recover. Can anyone give some advice?
(his paw is a little bent but it’s because it’s relaxed and he refuses to walk on it much. it’s just mangled and bloody on one nail)

Attachments

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Happy New Year mum! That's what he's telling you. I can't advise anything other than a very appt, cause all my cats are indoor for that sort of reason. Too many dangers out there.
If you absolutely cannot get him to the vet, you need someone to hold him down so you can get a proper look. See if you can see anything in his mouth or stuck in his paw. Could say just wait and see. But if there's something irritating or stuck inside? Wouldn't want it healing over it. You need a proper look. Cats cantake either Benadryl or Zyrtec, which if it's a reaction (the tongue) to something might help. Sounds like a fight from the frayed claws though. I'd seriousl definitely keep him inside till healed.
Heads up. I was taking care of an outside (till we brought him in) and he'd injured his front paw. I took himin to the vet the next day and his paw had already healed over. Forever more this cat has a tiny extra flap around toes so it looks like he's giving everyone the middle finger. My vet thinks it's hilarious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beancolada_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Happy New Year mum! That's what he's telling you. I can't advise anything other than a very appt, cause all my cats are indoor for that sort of reason. Too many dangers out there.
If you absolutely cannot get him to the vet, you need someone to hold him down so you can get a proper look. See if you can see anything in his mouth or stuck in his paw. Could say just wait and see. But if there's something irritating or stuck inside? Wouldn't want it healing over it. You need a proper look. Cats cantake either Benadryl or Zyrtec, which if it's a reaction (the tongue) to something might help. Sounds like a fight from the frayed claws though. I'd seriousl definitely keep him inside till healed.
Heads up. I was taking care of an outside (till we brought him in) and he'd injured his front paw. I took himin to the vet the next day and his paw had already healed over. Forever more this cat has a tiny extra flap around toes so it looks like he's giving everyone the middle finger. My vet thinks it's hilarious.
I got a little bit of a better look and the under side of his tongue is kind of orange, and the bloody nail i was talking about looks like he got scratched at the nail bed. he won’t let me touch it and seems like he is in pain. i sadly don’t have benadryl of anything like that so i don’t know how to help him. thank you for your advice though, i just hate to see him in pain.

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First bring him inside and keep him there. Second it sounds a but like he might have been in a fight or something. I would at least call a vet and explain things and see what they recommend doing. Get him in to be seen a swollen tounge can easily block an airway which is likely why its hanging out. Can he drink and eat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beancolada_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First bring him inside and keep him there. Second it sounds a but like he might have been in a fight or something. I would at least call a vet and explain things and see what they recommend doing. Get him in to be seen a swollen tounge can easily block an airway which is likely why its hanging out. Can he drink and eat?
i made him some watery tuna so he is staying well fed and hydrated he just seems to be in a lot of pain with his paw

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tuna is ok for a couple of days but he needs some cat food tuna isnt complete nutrition. Also if his tounge gets bigger or anything he needs a vet asap. The nail will likely heal on it's own but watch for infection.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that it sounds like he got in a fight. Probably best to get him in for a vet visit on Monday if you can. At least look to see if he has any puncture wounds, which close up on their own and are more likely to trap infections. Clean them if you find them.

It's a bit late for this, but if he has bleeding surface wounds or his nail doesn't stop bleeding, you can get them to stop by applying a regular shaving styptic pencil. He won't like it, though.

Any emergency conditions or rapid decline in his health, get him to a vet emergency hospital.

Keep him inside, warm, give him soothing foods and let him rest.