Just moved, cat still hasn't pooped yet?

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

So I just moved my cat yesterday in the morning. It's being over 30 hours now.

So my cat is very very shy, she hides and runs away from everyone but me. And she didn't handle the move well. I'm keeping her just in my bedroom. She is now hiding under my bed blanket where she has being mostly since. Granted she does spend 80% of her time sleeping on top or below my bed blanket.

So I'm able to give her some dry food and wet food under the blanket, but I haven't seen her come out to drink water.

Yesterday at night, she did come out to explore the entire apartment, but she is back to hiding in my bed.

Last night she did come out and use the litter box.

I know it takes time, and she can have as much as possible, but it's being 30 hours now, and she still hasn't pooped so I'm a bit worried.

I bought some pumpkin that's meant for cat and dogs, she at a tiny bit of it with her wet food.

Not sure what else I can do.

I haven't taken her to the vet yet, so her knew vet still hasn't seen her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Can you try some Cat Music and a calming product? There are wipes and sprays that could possibly help her. Other than not pooping she sounds like she's doing great for a shy kitty in a new place :) but yea, you might consider setting up a veterinarian appointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
Can you try some Cat Music and a calming product? There are wipes and sprays that could possibly help her. Other than not pooping she sounds like she's doing great for a shy kitty in a new place :) but yea, you might consider setting up a veterinarian appointment.
Yeah, she has done most things but poop. I haven't seen her touch the water, but she may have. And she is at least getting some water from wet food.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve been dealing w/ the not pooping thing w/ my elderly chap. This Tiki Cat product called Tummy Topper seems to help: it has the bonus prize of blended wheatgrass. That and the probiotics are moving things along. Cats need time to adjust and I’m sure once she feels grounded things will get better. I’d take Furball Mom’s advice though any day.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Stay away from the dry food, or at least offer it with some water added to it. I think she will poop once she is eating more regularly. But, if it goes on much longer, there is no harm in trying a 1/8 tsp of Miralax (mixed with some water) and add that to some food - just to get things moving again.

Keep us posted, I am hoping to hear she has finally gone - and soon!!!

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stay away from the dry food, or at least offer it with some water added to it. I think she will poop once she is eating more regularly. But, if it goes on much longer, there is no harm in trying a 1/8 tsp of Miralax (mixed with some water) and add that to some food - just to get things moving again.

Keep us posted, I am hoping to hear she has finally gone - and soon!!!
Okay, when you say "if it goes on much longer", how long are we talking? We're getting close to 40 hours since she last past stool.

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd say go for it now. The worst it will do is cause a bit of loose stool. Just one dose to start with...
Okay, I gave her some pumpkin which she ate in the morning. Do you think I should do Miralax and pumpkin? Or just one?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Okay, I gave her some pumpkin which she ate in the morning. Do you think I should do Miralax and pumpkin? Or just one?
If the pumpkin works, fine. If it doesn't, move to the Miralax. Pumpkin is generally thought of as a fiber provider, so how it works depends on the reason for the lack of stool. I am on the fence about pumpkin because it can work either way, it can help with constipation, and it can help with loose stool depending on the cause of the problem.

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the pumpkin works, fine. If it doesn't, move to the Miralax. Pumpkin is generally thought of as a fiber provider, so how it works depends on the reason for the lack of stool. I am on the fence about pumpkin because it can work either way, it can help with constipation, and it can help with loose stool depending on the cause of the problem.
Okay, I gave her some pumpkin earlier in the morning. I'll give her some pumpkin again later tonight, and 1/16 of miralax, and do the same tomorrow morning. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon she'll pass stool, since that'll be close to the 72 hour mark. Also so far she has only peed once.

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you pick her up to place her in the litter box? If so, do so.
I've done so a few times, she just darts right out, right away. She's pretty much examined every inch of my apartment now, but even the slightest sound will cause her to run back under my bedroom sheets. Still haven't seen her eat her food by herself, relies a lot on me to bring it to her under the bed.

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi so she did poop last night, which was good. Although something odd did happen. Today, I installed a cat window perch, she liked it and sat there when I picked her up and put here there. I layed on the floor and watch stuff on my phone while she was looking out the window. Suddenly I hear her jump off and she was sneaking back to under my bed, but I did her growl a bit while she was getting onto the bed. I looked outside, and maybe 20 feet a way I saw a lady sit on her porch, but nothing else. She is back to hiding under my bed. Just a bit confused since she hasn't growled in over a year now, and I don't know why she would growl when she is scared?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad she finally pooped! Maybe whatever she saw out the window had passed by the time you looked. Could have been a person living with the lady who brought their cat outside for a brief moment - or a dog. Or, a cat passed by. A noisy truck, which most of us take for granted and don't even realize it might bother a cat.

There are cats that attack out of fear, so it seems logical that some cats might growl instead.

Give it some time and see what happens. If it happens again when she is at the window, maybe move the window perch to another window? You could try some cat calming music while she is at the window to see if it might keep her calm. There's spotify, Youtube, Alexa cat music, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats. How about some cat calming treats? Calming diffusers?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Block off access to under the bed. First, because it’ll make it difficult to get to your cat in an emergency and second, hiding under the bed is tearing down her self confidence.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My cats growl when they are afraid. It is as if they get ready to defend themselves, then run for cover. Often it is at the sight of someone outside who has no intention of harming them, but it happens if a coyote walks by or a large dog.

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Block off access to under the bed. First, because it’ll make it difficult to get to your cat in an emergency and second, hiding under the bed is tearing down her self confidence.
It's just the mattress and a second layer, nothing for her to hid under there, I meant hide under my bedsheets.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not block anything as long as she is hiding in a safe place. I think she is doing great and all the growling means is that she was picked up and set in a new spot and then saw something that she found a little creepy or scary. Anything on the outside would probably invoke that because she is still on edge. Picking her up to show her some thing when she is still fearful has the opposite effect, it makes her want to hide. I would just continue letting her progress at her own pace and just ignore her skulking around or hiding in the meantime.

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would not block anything as long as she is hiding in a safe place. I think she is doing great and all the growling means is that she was picked up and set in a new spot and then saw something that she found a little creepy or scary. Anything on the outside would probably invoke that because she is still on edge. Picking her up to show her some thing when she is still fearful has the opposite effect, it makes her want to hide. I would just continue letting her progress at her own pace and just ignore her skulking around or hiding in the meantime.
Yeah at this point she has pooped twice, and I've given her full access to my home. She does get very scared when she hears noises, but that's always going to be an issue now.