Just Got Back From Emergency Vet With Snickers

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Earlier tonight Snickers started meowing and was hunched over with all 4 feet close together. I could tell something was wrong and as I went upstairs to get DH he puked liquid with a little hair and chicken from his dinner. He was still sitting hunched over so I got him some fresh catnip, thinking it might help him puke out whatever was still bothering him. He ate it, but kept meowing, then went downstairs so I followed him. He got into the litter box and I could see him straining but nothing came out, then he put his front paws on the side of the box and meowed again.

All the local vets were closed except one and they were booked up and couldn't get him in so we took him to the emergency vet. After 2 hours they sent us home but we're still not sure what's wrong. The vet thinks it's either a UTI or irritated bladder but his bladder was too small to get a urine sample with a needle and he wouldn't pee there. She sent us home with antibiotics and pain meds, and said he had to go in if he wasn't obviously feeling better tomorrow. She also made us promise to take him to our vet in a week for a urine check.

I wish he'd gotten sick earlier in the day so we could've gone to our regular vet - we don't have extra $$ laying around and the emergency vet is really expensive, but I'm glad we took him in and it wasn't serious. Now I'm off to research what causes UTIs/inflammation. I don't think my homemade food had anything to do with it, but mama guilt won't quit until I make sure.

mfena0720

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is Snickers now? Are the meds helping any? How were his vitals at the ER? Guessing he had a fever if antibiotics were warranted...

I know how frustrating and terrifying it is to not know what's wrong with them. And I'm not just saying that: My furry one is in the ICU right now, and has gone back and forth to the ER/ICU four times in ten days. They still don't really know what to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hard to say. We got the first dose of meds into him and he was sleeping on the couch until he heard me feeding the other cats. He came into the kitchen but wouldn't eat - he's been picky about the homemade food so I'm not too worried about that. They didn't tell us his vitals and I didn't think to ask. I've had a UTI recently enough to remember how awful it feels, and it takes about 24 hours for the meds to kick in. Hopefully tomorrow he'll be back to himself.

I hope they can figure out what's wrong with your little one so he/she can get better!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, poor little Snickers. :frown: Has he been able to pee since you got home?

Hopefully the antibiotics and meds will make him feel better by tomorrow. Hugs. :grouphug:

mfena0720

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
...They didn't tell us his vitals and I didn't think to ask. I've had a UTI recently enough to remember how awful it feels, and it takes about 24 hours for the meds to kick in. Hopefully tomorrow he'll be back to himself.

I hope they can figure out what's wrong with your little one so he/she can get better!
Aww, poor little guy...thank you for the well-wishing, so I'm sending you some good vibes, and I hope Snickers gets well quickly:vibes:

The reason I ask is because my recent visits have made me skeptical of some ER facilities. On Blondie's third visit I rushed him to the closest ER (one that we had not been to before) and they wanted to give him antibiotics DESPITE him not having a fever. They almost gave him a shot of Convenia :eek2: and said that an infection could be hidden.

I guess I just worry that some places tend to throw medicine at our cats without really investigating. In Snicker's case, this is probably not what's going on, but...I have been a helicopter mom lately, and that extends to all fur babies. With that being said, the pain meds definitely sound necessary. I just hope it was Buprenex, which should give relief immediately.

Emm

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no, poor little Snickers. :frown: Has he been able to pee since you got home?

Hopefully the antibiotics and meds will make him feel better by tomorrow. Hugs. :grouphug:
I don't know if he's peed - the litter boxes are in the basement and with the daycare kids I don't have time to follow him around all day. I thought I'd take him down and see if he goes after all the kids go home.

Aww, poor little guy...thank you for the well-wishing, so I'm sending you some good vibes, and I hope Snickers gets well quickly:vibes:

The reason I ask is because my recent visits have made me skeptical of some ER facilities. On Blondie's third visit I rushed him to the closest ER (one that we had not been to before) and they wanted to give him antibiotics DESPITE him not having a fever. They almost gave him a shot of Convenia :eek2: and said that an infection could be hidden.

I guess I just worry that some places tend to throw medicine at our cats without really investigating. In Snicker's case, this is probably not what's going on, but...I have been a helicopter mom lately, and that extends to all fur babies. With that being said, the pain meds definitely sound necessary. I just hope it was Buprenex, which should give relief immediately.

Emm
I get what you're saying, but we were there for 2 hours (7pm-9pm) and the vet offered to do subcutaneous fluids and see if he'd pee in another 30-45 min, but she said some cats don't pee for another 2 hours after the fluids. At that point we really didn't want to sit around another hour or so to see if he peed because if the test showed a UTI he'd be put on the meds anyway. My biggest worry was that he was obstructed and would need emergency surgery, and since he didn't I feel like we've bought some time to figure things out with our regular vet.

How's Snickers coming along? Hope he is much better. Sending him :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: :grouphug:

Is he on dry food? :think:
He seems to be feeling better, his appetite is up from yesterday and he's not sitting all hunched over anymore. They said the pain reliever might make him lethargic, but he's not high-energy anyway so it's hard to tell if he's extra sleepy or not. :lol:

He was on dry food until last month when we switched to homemade. On a good note, based on things I've read here and homemade food websites I anticipated that someone would give us a hard time about the homemade food, but they didn't say anything at all, so that was cool. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your concern everyone!

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
PS - I've been adding extra water to all their food and am considering moving the water bowl to the kitchen. Due to daycare regs I can't have pet food/water where the kids can get at it, which technically is the kitchen, but there's a gate so my licensor might let it go. I'm wondering if the cats aren't bothering to go to the basement to drink water now that they're getting meals in the kitchen instead of 24/7 dry in the basement.

Also, a friend said that adding blueberry juice to their water helps with UTIs. Has anyone else heard of this?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He was on dry food until last month when we switched to homemade. On a good note, based on things I've read here and homemade food websites I anticipated that someone would give us a hard time about the homemade food, but they didn't say anything at all, so that was cool. :thumbsup:
Regarding homemade food, you have to add supplements to it else your kitty will be missing out the important nutrients needed to sustain her health.

You can check it out or ask questions about adding the needed supplements in Raw and Home-Cooked Cat Food in the Sub-Forum of Cat Nutrition.

PS - I've been adding extra water to all their food and am considering moving the water bowl to the kitchen. Due to daycare regs I can't have pet food/water where the kids can get at it, which technically is the kitchen, but there's a gate so my licensor might let it go. I'm wondering if the cats aren't bothering to go to the basement to drink water now that they're getting meals in the kitchen instead of 24/7 dry in the basement.

Also, a friend said that adding blueberry juice to their water helps with UTIs. Has anyone else heard of this?
It's good to be adding extra water to her food. This way for sure you'll know she's hydrated and don't have to worry whether she drinks from the water bowl.

Read about giving unsweetened cranberry juice. I read it here :-

4 Common Home Remedies for Your Cat | petMD

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Regarding homemade food, you have to add supplements to it else your kitty will be missing out the important nutrients needed to sustain her health.

You can check it out or ask questions about adding the needed supplements in Raw and Home-Cooked Cat Food in the Sub-Forum of Cat Nutrition.

It's good to be adding extra water to her food. This way for sure you'll know she's hydrated and don't have to worry whether she drinks from the water bowl.

Read about giving unsweetened cranberry juice. I read it here :-

4 Common Home Remedies for Your Cat | petMD
Thanks for the cranberry info! My friend said her cat didn't like cranberry because it was too strong, but blueberry worked. I'll try cranberry first.

I add supplements, am following a good recipe, and have been in the Raw & Home-Cooked Forum, so no worries there. Except for mama-guilt, which worries about everything. :rolleyes2:

Still haven't seen him pee and both times he was taken into the box he jumped out right away. I put some water in the kitchen and placed him in front of it but he didn't drink any. I've been adding more extra water to his food so maybe he's just not thirsty. I pushed his belly when I picked him up and he didn't tense up or anything, and he's chasing the laser pointer like normal, so I'm probably worrying about nothing as usual.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd put him in a separate room with his own litter box until you make absolutely sure he is peeing all right (but I'm a big worrier too).

pet mom

The Guardian of All .
Kitten
Purraise

im not sure about the juice ? I know blue berry's are good for constipation .. it is a main ingredient in Imodium.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd put him in a separate room with his own litter box until you make absolutely sure he is peeing all right (but I'm a big worrier too).
That's not a bad idea. My daughter is off work tomorrow, and Snickers is her cat, so maybe he'll be confined to her room tomorrow.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
.........I put some water in the kitchen and placed him in front of it but he didn't drink any. I've been adding more extra water to his food so maybe he's just not thirsty........
To check whether if he's hydrated or not, gently pinch and lift up his skin just after his neck between his shoulder blades and release. If the skin springs back immediately, he's hydrated and if the skin he's back down slowly means he is not having enough water or is dehydrated.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To check whether if he's hydrated or not, gently pinch and lift up his skin just after his neck between his shoulder blades and release. If the skin springs back immediately, he's hydrated and if the skin he's back down slowly means he is not having enough water or is dehydrated.
Thanks for the reminder! I'd forgotten about that technique. Last night I told DH we should've had the vet give him fluids while we were there anyway.

He's been in my daughter's room since 10 last night and once she wakes up I'll check the litter box.

Update: He PEED! :clap: Now she's trying to get him to take his antibiotic pill.

Last edited: