Just got a Green Tree Python, one of the prettiest snakes in the world!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I've been wanting my dream snake species since I got into snakes, but I never thought I would get one because of their temperament. GTPs are known to be a vicious species, but when I went to the Iowa herp show he was the only GTP there and the guy sold him to me for about $150 less than he should have gone for. He was still pricey though! That's another reason I wasn't sure about getting a GTP! I might try my hand at breeding them in a few years time.

Meet Hacksaw!

I'm not done with his tank, it needs some fake plants and the perch fixed, but I'm letting him settle in before I bug him anymore.

When I put him in his new home, he looks huge stretched out. He's 6-7 years old and 6 feet long. Besides the fact that he's mean, it's hazardous to handle them because their spines are so fragile.

I misted his tank and he was not happy. I couldn't tell you how many times he has tried to bite me already! Luckily he is fairly slow moving so it's easy to get out of the way. He doesn't care one bit about the dogs or cats, but if I come near he gets all huffy!

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's gorgeous!!! I love GTP, especially when they're babies, love the yellow!

He's going to want lots of different sized perches and I know most of the ones I have ever met actually prefer the smaller ones.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about snakes, but if he's 6 feet long, shouldn't he have a larger tank? I'm assuming that since he's so nasty you won't be allowing him to roam around for "exercise", if a snake actually needs exercise. But it doesn't look like he can stretch out very much in that tank in the picture.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most snake species are pretty sedentary, opportunistic feeders.
They move to get warm, they move to cool off, thats about it.

GTP are tree dwellers, so the height of their enclosure is more important than width.

And by the way, he's gorgeous, I've wanted one since the first time I saw one.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be honest here. I've never been a tremendous fan of snakes. I have grown accustomed to them and can appreciate their beauty, but I still have quite a bit of trepidation around them. However, Hacksaw is simply stunning. I've seen Green Tree Pythons in photos, but never in person. And, I can tell you that I would now love to see one in person as they are gorgeous creatures.

At a previous job, I had to get over my initial fear of snakes. It was my first day, and I requested to be taught how to properly handle snakes. My first snake to touch and work with was a ball python. As soon as I handled him, my fear was gone. And, to this day, I still love ball pythons. My next snake to handle was a corn snake and that, unfortunately, did not go as well. Their small size makes me uneasy and their rattling causes me to jump. But, again, I appreciate them for what they are and respect those who can dedicate their time to caring for them. I've handled king snakes as well, but there my experience ends. I will likely never own a snake, but that's okay. Knowing the proper way to handle, feed, and care for them has been a gift and I will always be fascinated by them. Your GTP is certainly no exception.

Absolutely stunning snake! Congratulations on the new addition and I look forward to seeing more of Hacksaw and his finished enclosure in the future.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

My, he's a pretty fellow. Did you name him or was he already Hacksaw?
Thank you! Nope, I named him. He was a breeder before I got him and the owner said, "you know you don't hold these animals right?" I said, "Oh, no, I don't want him for holding," he said "Good, because he bites."
I have 14 ball pythons for breeding and none of them have a name, but I thought the GTP needed a well fitting name!

Originally Posted by Momto3boys

He's gorgeous!!! I love GTP, especially when they're babies, love the yellow!

He's going to want lots of different sized perches and I know most of the ones I have ever met actually prefer the smaller ones.
They are gorgeous as babies! I've been researching them on and off for the past year, but everyone kept telling me to get an adult because babies can be finicky about eating.

He has been on that size of perch for the last 4 years I'm guessing. The owner was a breeder and he told me that's the only size I should offer and to keep him in that size of a tank. That's about the size he uses for his GTPs.

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I don't know anything about snakes, but if he's 6 feet long, shouldn't he have a larger tank? I'm assuming that since he's so nasty you won't be allowing him to roam around for "exercise", if a snake actually needs exercise. But it doesn't look like he can stretch out very much in that tank in the picture.
Snakes don't really roam. In fact, most often, if your snake is roaming he's stressed and needs a more secure cage/hides. GTPs don't use a hide which makes them a good display snake, they just sit on their perch all day and night. Since I put him in that tank on Wednesday he hasn't gotten off the perch once, he doesn't need to. He can reach food/water from where he's sitting. If they are roaming around or on the floor of the tank that's a sign of a stressed GTP, and a stressed snake means eventual death. I have the tank set up exactly as the breeder did. He told me one perch that size in a tank that was roughly 2x2x2. He was a breeder GTP so he was kept in a very similar set up, possibly even smaller. My ball pythons are in small tubs compared to what the pet stores tell you, but they thrive much better in small areas and do not need exercise. I breed ball pythons.

Originally Posted by Arlyn

Most snake species are pretty sedentary, opportunistic feeders.
They move to get warm, they move to cool off, thats about it.

GTP are tree dwellers, so the height of their enclosure is more important than width.

And by the way, he's gorgeous, I've wanted one since the first time I saw one.
Yep yep. Thank you! I was in the same boat! I thought they were just absolutely stunning! Their attitude, their price tag, and their advanced husbandry needs scared me off for a little while, but I have so many thermostats and heat element strips laying around I thought, how hard can it really be! We'll see
He ate for me last night no problem.

Originally Posted by Alison Joy

I'm going to be honest here. I've never been a tremendous fan of snakes. I have grown accustomed to them and can appreciate their beauty, but I still have quite a bit of trepidation around them. However, Hacksaw is simply stunning. I've seen Green Tree Pythons in photos, but never in person. And, I can tell you that I would now love to see one in person as they are gorgeous creatures.

At a previous job, I had to get over my initial fear of snakes. It was my first day, and I requested to be taught how to properly handle snakes. My first snake to touch and work with was a ball python. As soon as I handled him, my fear was gone. And, to this day, I still love ball pythons. My next snake to handle was a corn snake and that, unfortunately, did not go as well. Their small size makes me uneasy and their rattling causes me to jump. But, again, I appreciate them for what they are and respect those who can dedicate their time to caring for them. I've handled king snakes as well, but there my experience ends. I will likely never own a snake, but that's okay. Knowing the proper way to handle, feed, and care for them has been a gift and I will always be fascinated by them. Your GTP is certainly no exception.

Absolutely stunning snake! Congratulations on the new addition and I look forward to seeing more of Hacksaw and his finished enclosure in the future.
I wasn't a huge fan of snake either before I actually got into them. I think corn snakes are really creepy as well! I don't like fast moving twitchy snakes. Ball pythons are what got me into snakes. Now three years later I have 14 ball pythons with at least two clutches of eggs on the way in a week or two!

I've put up pictures of all my BPs on here before, but here's my collection page if you haven't seen them, and care to see them! http://www.slitherinsisters.com/our-collection.php

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's beautiful! I grew up interacting with my uncle's bull snakes, so I'm quite used to snakes and have never been afraid of them.
Look at that green and his eyes!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know nothing about snakes, though I have handled one or two over the years (it is amazing what you have to do sometimes as a journalist) and I am not frightened of them. I have never heard of GTPs but he is absolutely stunning. What country do they come from originally?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CATTYBIRD

What a beautiful snake.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by My4LLMA

Hacksaw is a nice green
I love how bright they are!

Originally Posted by Mollysmom

He's beautiful! I grew up interacting with my uncle's bull snakes, so I'm quite used to snakes and have never been afraid of them.
Look at that green and his eyes!
That's pretty cool. My brother had a "pet" bull snake a few different times but lost them in the house. They are native to our area, and we used to have a ton on our farm.

That's my favorite part about GTPs, their beautiful eyes!

Originally Posted by jennyranson

I know nothing about snakes, though I have handled one or two over the years (it is amazing what you have to do sometimes as a journalist) and I am not frightened of them. I have never heard of GTPs but he is absolutely stunning. What country do they come from originally?
Lol oh man, they do make journalists do some pretty crazy things! It's not surprising that people haven't seen/heard of GTPs. They are actually a fairly new 'pet' in the US because they were extremely hard to keep in captivity until about 10 years ago. Once they started being breed in captivity the babies were easier to care for. So GTPs got past that hurdle, but they still have that nasty attitude which turns most people away from them. I keep getting comments from snake people that I'm bad... (you know what) now, lol.

They originate from New Guinea, Indonesia, and Northern Australia.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved my uncle's snakes.
He had about 6 of them. I was always so delighted when I got to over to hold house and get to hold them.

I've heard of GTPs, but I'm not terribly familiar with them. Are they venomous?

I really want a ball python, but I couldn't handle the feeding.
Some of them have the most beautiful colors and patterns.

My mom's friend had a snake who was actually killed by mice. Her owner put some mice in her cage before she was ready to eat and the mice actually ate her alive.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He had about 6 of them. I was always so delighted when I got to over to hold house and get to hold them.

My mom's friend had a snake who was actually killed by mice. Her owner put some mice in her cage before she was ready to eat and the mice actually ate her alive.
A very good reason why serious snake keepers do not feed live prey.
Why could you not handle feeding?
If purchased from a reputable breeder and not a petstore, Balls are accustomed to eating pre-killed.
Safer for them, easier for keepers.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If purchased from a reputable breeder and not a petstore, Balls are accustomed to eating pre-killed.
It was the first (and last, obviously
) time she actually fed her live prey.

Well, I don't know if I could handle feeding mice really well. I like them very much, and I find rodents to be charming little pets.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's lovely, I'm not a big fan of snakes but he is beautiful and he looks like he has so much character in his face.x

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No they aren't venomous, they just have big teeth and a bad attitude.

Feeding can be hard some times. It has been three years and it still bothers me sometimes and I have to leave the room. The young BPs aren't very efficient killers.

I know plenty of people that have made that mistake. Unfortunately people jump into uncommon pets likes snakes and don't know all the "rules" to follow. That's why there is a rule of thumb to not leave a live rodent in with a snake for more than 10-20 minutes. Rodents have such high metabolisms that they need to eat every few hours to keep their protein levels high enough. Which means their only source of protein is the snake, and BPs for some reason let the rodents eat them to death. I couldn't tell you why.

I actually feed solely live, as do many breeders. When you have a lot of snakes to feed every week it's more economical to breed your own rats, and you'll often have several snakes that refuse to eat frozen thawed, at least when Ball Pythons are involved. Plus, being a breeder you really need your snake to eat every time you feed it. Females lose about half of their body weight when they lay and they need to gain all of that back, plus some within 5-6 months. You definitely can't expect them to be eating frozen thawed just because they are from a breeder. Of the 14 BPs I have bought, only two of them were eating f/t and all of them are from very reputable breeders. If you want one that is eating f/t ask the breeder if they will try feeding f/t before you get it.

Anyhow, I've been feeding live for 3 years, roughly 14-20 rats a week and I've only had one minor bite. As long as you know what you are doing, and don't leave live prey in for more than 10-20 minutes you should never have a problem of your snake getting eaten to death.

Originally Posted by Ruthyb

He's lovely, I'm not a big fan of snakes but he is beautiful and he looks like he has so much character in his face.x
Thank you, they do have beautiful faces! That's the main reason I love GTPs.