Just found your great site!

msFriday

Smokey at 7 months and Indy at 5 years
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am new to TCS, and wanted to introduce myself (Diane) and Indy.  He is solid black, almost 4 years old, and weighs about 9 pounds (he is sleek and petite!).  My husband and I adopted our newest family member from a no-kill cat rescue in Nov. 2016. 

We didn't think of this until we got home with him, but actually, Indy was probably pretty happy where he was.  They were not in cages, but were running free in a large "house" with doors connecting the rooms.  He was probably with 15-20 cats at all times, so he was never lonely or bored.  They had sofas, beds, cat trees, and lots and lots of cat walks (?) near the ceiling and connecting the rooms.  There was even a large completely fenced in area outside with shelves and cat trees so they could be outside!  All in all, he had a pretty good life! 

In some ways he may have been happier there -- but we are doing our best to make his new life great.  I am home all day, and play with him often.  He has two cat trees, one of which leads to the top of the bookcase that runs the length of our den.  He has a narrow "sofa" table at the den window, covered with a soft fleece blanket so he can watch the Blue jays and squirrels in the front yard.  We have a sunporch (which we installed LP heat in for him) with 3 sliding glass doors, so he can watch our back yard to his heart's content.  He has 4 beds throughout the house, not counting the cat trees, and dozens of toys.  And my husband even built him his own carpeted "deck" in the outside basement stairwell (which is inside the sunroom), with a carpeted ramp going to our master bathroom window -- which is open all the time, so he can come and go as he likes.

Indy's picture from the rescue shelter -- we fell for those big golden eyes!

Here is the carpeted deck my husband built so Indy wouldn't fall into the stairwell -- he was leaping from the brick wall to the bathroom window sill (when the window was closed !!!!)  Now we keep the window open, and he can "walk the plank" (or play on it, or use it as a scratching post, etc.).

He has always been friendly, and is becoming more affectionate with us, and learning that we like to pet him.  I guess he didn't have a lot of interaction with humans, so he's pretty independent.  He still doesn't like being picked up and/or carried.  But he does manage to follow me around the house, and usually makes sure I am in sight.  I have taught him to sit up (beg) for his Greenies treats, and to sit on a stool in our kitchen while I get his wet food ready.  He has started bringing me his toys at bedtime, sometimes meowing while he carries them to me.  And he almost always comes up to cuddle in bed to wake me in the morning.  Fortunately, he has adapted to our sleep schedule, and goes to bed with us at 10:00 pm, and usually wakes me around 8:00 am!   He probably never got to sleep enough at the shelter, with all the other cats bugging him!  We love the new member of our family, and hope we get to enjoy his company for many years to come!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Indy is a beautiful cat! I'm new too here on TCS. My kitty's name is Charlie. I'll attach a picture. How did you manage to change your profile picture?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here is the carpeted deck my husband built so Indy wouldn't fall into the stairwell -- he was leaping from the brick wall to the bathroom window sill (when the window was closed !!!!)  Now we keep the window open, and he can "walk the plank" (or play on it, or use it as a scratching post, etc.).

He has always been friendly, and is becoming more affectionate with us, and learning that we like to pet him.  I guess he didn't have a lot of interaction with humans, so he's pretty independent.  He still doesn't like being picked up and/or carried.  But he does manage to follow me around the house, and usually makes sure I am in sight.  I have taught him to sit up (beg) for his Greenies treats, and to sit on a stool in our kitchen while I get his wet food ready.  He has started bringing me his toys at bedtime, sometimes meowing while he carries them to me.  And he almost always comes up to cuddle in bed to wake me in the morning.  Fortunately, he has adapted to our sleep schedule, and goes to bed with us at 10:00 pm, and usually wakes me around 8:00 am!   He probably never got to sleep enough at the shelter, with all the other cats bugging him!  We love the new member of our family, and hope we get to enjoy his company for many years to come!
Yes indeed - it's clear that Indy has a tough Life.  Can we presume that you're at least in the process of buying an helicopter for him, so he can chase birds in warm weather, in air conditioned comfort?

Seriously, it looks like you two have done everything in your power to make Indy's Life perfect.  Bravo  - and welcome to TCS !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msFriday

Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!  Our relatives can't believe how much we are spoiling Indy, but we don't care -- we're having a ball!  By the way, my husband loved your idea of getting Indy an air conditioned helicopter next!  But I think we will have to settle for putting a room air conditioner in the sun porch for him

msFriday

Young Cat
Purraise
Your Indy is a beauty, too!  By the way, mine is Indy Smith (cause, that's our last name)!  But my favorite movie of all time is Raiders of the Lost Ark, so Indy Jones rings a chord with me, too...

msFriday

Young Cat
Purraise
Charlie is a cutie!  About my avatar, I think I went to my profile page, and under the current avatar was a link to "change your avatar."  Then you can "browse" to wherever you have a picture stored on your computer and use that.  You can also do something with an url, but since I didn't use that feature I don't know how to do that.  Hope this helps.  I have never been a member of a site like this before, so I am just winging it here!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks!  Our relatives can't believe how much we are spoiling Indy, but we don't care -- we're having a ball!  By the way, my husband loved your idea of getting Indy an air conditioned helicopter next!  But I think we will have to settle for putting a room air conditioner in the sun porch for him
You and your Husband really should take a look at the thread "Building a cat play yard," in the Cat Care & Grooming section.  That helicopter just might get a second thought from Hubby afterwards !

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie is a cutie!  About my avatar, I think I went to my profile page, and under the current avatar was a link to "change your avatar."  Then you can "browse" to wherever you have a picture stored on your computer and use that.  You can also do something with an url, but since I didn't use that feature I don't know how to do that.  Hope this helps.  I have never been a member of a site like this before, so I am just winging it here!
Just wanted to add if you are using the mobile site you will need to switch to desktop mode there is a button at the bottom of the page to do this.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Also, it seems that there are some threads that I can't post on. Are those for people who have been on TCS longer or?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes there are some threads new users can't post in. My suggestion is stick around for a while and keep posting. There are some fun and games threads that are good for getting those first few posts

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes there are some threads new users can't post in. My suggestion is stick around for a while and keep posting. There are some fun and games threads that are good for getting those first few posts
Okay! Thanks!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Diane and Indy, welcome to TCS :wavey:

Thank you for adopting Indy. I'm sure he'll have a good life with you too as both you and your husband have been doting on him since and building him walkways and beddings. Looks like you got a good deal with the whole package thrown in as in sleeping early and waking up at the right time and playing fetch. Many cat mommies and cat daddies yearn for this :D

Indy is beautiful! Do post more photos of him. You can also check out this thread :- http://www.thecatsite.com/t/268663/black-cats-only

msFriday

Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!  I certainly know how lucky I am that Indy has adapted to my sleeping schedule!

Thanks for the info about the black cat link -- I'm off to check it out right now!

Diane